Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
8 hours ago, markyo said:

The long slog is nearly done,less than a month till a slow return journey to those lovely dark evenings in front of the fire and waking up to actually see a sunrise!! Can't wait

8 hours ago, markyo said:

The long slog is nearly done,less than a month till a slow return journey to those lovely dark evenings in front of the fire and waking up to actually see a sunrise!! Can't wait

No thanks. 

I don’t think about the evenings drawing in until mid August at the earliest, and even then I don’t think about autumn or the decline into winter until September 1st, when I finally accept the best part of the year is behind us, in terms of daylight and warmth. 

Not knocking September, as that’s usually a good time to have a holiday in Spain or wherever, but I want to be able to enjoy the summer for what it is, without people hinting about the darkness arriving. 

September will be here before you know it, so best to try and enjoy the summer while it’s with us. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

No thanks. 

I don’t think about the evenings drawing in until mid August at the earliest, and even then I don’t think about autumn or the decline into winter until September 1st, when I finally accept the best part of the year is behind us, in terms of daylight and warmth. 

Not knocking September, as that’s usually a good time to have a holiday in Spain or wherever, but I want to be able to enjoy the summer for what it is, without people hinting about the darkness arriving. 

September will be here before you know it, so best to try and enjoy the summer while it’s with us. 

I appreciate how folk want longer days but for me the drive into work watching a sunrise is far better than daylight at 4:30am,those sunrises are just wasted.

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, markyo said:

I appreciate how folk want longer days but for me the drive into work watching a sunrise is far better than daylight at 4:30am,those sunrises are just wasted.

I’ll be starting a new job on June 24th and getting up at 5am instead of the usual 7am, so daylight at 5am will be a great help. I think once we move past mid August, those early mornings will be difficult, but hopefully by then I will have adjusted to a new getting up time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 24/05/2019 at 09:46, markyo said:

get up early a few times and enjoy them whilst you can..you are a long time dead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not long now until sunrise reaches its earliest time. A few more weeks and sunrise will start to get later, before the sunsets join in a bit later. Earliest sunrise occurs on the 12th June and stays at the same time for several days. Latest sunset occurs on the 20th of June and again stays at the same time for a few days.

2 months until the whole thing becomes noticeable. I usually notice the nights pulling in around the last week of July. By August I'm in autumn mode. Bring it on!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not long now until sunrise reaches its earliest time. A few more weeks and sunrise will start to get later, before the sunsets join in a bit later. Earliest sunrise occurs on the 12th June and stays at the same time for several days. Latest sunset occurs on the 20th of June and again stays at the same time for a few days.

2 months until the whole thing becomes noticeable. I usually notice the nights pulling in around the last week of July. By August I'm in autumn mode. Bring it on!

Stick your autumn where the sun don’t shine. I always find the period from mid May to late August goes by too quickly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Stick your autumn where the sun don’t shine. I always find the period from mid May to late August goes by too quickly. 

I feel like that in winter...

I have to deal with it then so you can deal with it now 

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I feel like that in winter...

I have to deal with it then so you can deal with it now 

Lol, well I’m enjoying this period of the year now. Always feel good from now until early September. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Still light and it’s just gone past 9.30 we will soon be approaching the longest day and the much needed relief of the nights drawing in.

• Like 4

Posted

I’m glad it’s now the lightest time of the year. It does seem after June though, we kind of already lose a small bit of summer, even though  summer hasn’t fully kicked in. 

Posted

Not long till go to the turn back to those lovely nights,curtains closed,fire on. Can't wait!.....oh waking up without those bloody birds singing!!!

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Not long till go to the turn back to those lovely nights,curtains closed,fire on. Can't wait!.....oh waking up without those bloody birds singing!!!

I would hate to live in a constantly gloomy, silent word, devoid of the sounds and colours of nature. Come to think of it, even grass would not grow in cold darkness or limited light, so where would you find bread and meat for your table?

Yes, I know individuals have seasonal/weather preferences, but surely a more pragmatic approach to seasonal weather and daylight length would be sensible and improve wellbeing i.e. by adjusting lifestyle accordingly. You know winter will be upon us again in a flash of time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I like the birds singing. It doesn't bother me at all, but there's nothing worse than waking up to sunlight. Cold,dark mornings and early dark nights are bliss..

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, ciel said:

I would hate to live in a constantly gloomy, silent word, devoid of the sounds and colours of nature. Come to think of it, even grass would not grow in cold darkness or limited light, so where would you find bread and meat for your table?

Yes, I know individuals have seasonal/weather preferences, but surely a more pragmatic approach to seasonal weather and daylight length would be sensible and improve wellbeing i.e. by adjusting lifestyle accordingly. You know winter will be upon us again in a flash of time.

We're not going to start questioning peoples preferences again are we? He likes the Autumn/Winter, get over it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Wynter said:

get over it!

Yes, all Im saying is...stop moaning and whining  about seasonal weather. It's been the same for decades :oldgrin:

Posted
4 hours ago, simshady said:

Cold,dark mornings and early dark nights are bliss..

Watching that sun rise and then set beats anything Summer has to offer i feel,just makes me feel so much both calmer and relaxed. Especially on the commute to and from work,can't beat seeing the world wake up and going to sleep in my view.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
37 minutes ago, markyo said:

Watching that sun rise and then set beats anything Summer has to offer i feel,just makes me feel so much both calmer and relaxed. Especially on the commute to and from work,can't beat seeing the world wake up and going to sleep in my view.

Yeah, it’s wonderful watching the sun set at 4pm in December!

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

For me its fantastic! I genuinely love that time of year,no ramping,nothing like that at all,just my favourite time of year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

For those who are praying for dark mornings,early evenings and cold it is the light mornings,late evenings and warm nights[not that we have had any]  of summer that make the winter opposite more pleasureable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i don't mind the dark evenings in winter..can not stand the dark mornings though..getting up in the dark for 8 months of the year eventually takes its toll

Posted

Whats more, after listening today to the WW11 veterans personal experiences and the resilience shown by them, complaints about a wee bit heat, humidity, sun, birdsong or cold, pales into insignificance.

Edited by ciel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Quite a nice morning. Cool and not too bright  Soon be back on the way to dark nights

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
On 06/06/2019 at 20:14, mb018538 said:

For my location on the Isle of Wight you get the best sunsets in November early December, so for me it doesn’t matter what time it sets.  It really is the most wonderful time of year here.  

For some of us we don’t like the long days of light so yearn the dark mornings and early evening. I do get genuinely depressed about the long hot days.  Plus having two young kids the earlier it gets dark the better!

• Like 2