Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

Sun is still shining nicely, not long ago it would have been dark by now.

Don't remind me, Nick :cray:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Dont know about anyone else but the recent cold spell totally diverted my mind from the lengthening days, probably as the last 4/5 days have been so cloudy round here. Its also made me feel we were back in the depths of January rather than the first few days of Spring. Unfortunately it doesnt look like a quick transformatiom to dry and sunny which would really make me appreciate the lighter evenings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
11 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Dont know about anyone else but the recent cold spell totally diverted my mind from the lengthening days, probably as the last 4/5 days have been so cloudy round here. Its also made me feel we were back in the depths of January rather than the first few days of Spring. Unfortunately it doesnt look like a quick transformatiom to dry and sunny which would really make me appreciate the lighter evenings.

Yes, it certainly has felt more like December. 

This cold spell really has left me craving light and warmth though. I think I'm starting to fall out of love with snow a little, perhaps an age thing but it brings more problems than it's worth in all honesty. 

• Like 2

Posted

After we have left the EU I presume we will no longer be compelled to follow European directives as to the date when the clocks go forward and back. The start of BST over the last weekend in March is two weeks later than the commencement of daylight saving time in the USA and Canada. In my opinion here in the UK this is a needless waste of daylight at a time when the length of days and nights are roughly equal and very short days are long gone. If we do anything on the clocks why not start daylight saving in the second rather than final weekend in March and align with our friends across the Atlantic. .  

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentish Man said:

After we have left the EU I presume we will no longer be compelled to follow European directives as to the date when the clocks go forward and back. The start of BST over the last weekend in March is two weeks later than the commencement of daylight saving time in the USA and Canada. In my opinion here in the UK this is a needless waste of daylight at a time when the length of days and nights are roughly equal and very short days are long gone. If we do anything on the clocks why not start daylight saving in the second rather than final weekend in March and align with our friends across the Atlantic. .  

Isn't turning the clocks back to 1950 as a result of Brexit enough already?

Posted
23 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

I totally agree. The clocks changes aren't evenly balanced around the winter solstice. 

Extra daylight is much more useful in the evenings than in the mornings imo.    

Today sunrise/sunset is:

Inverness: 6:46/18:08

Aberdeen: 6:38/18:00

Manchester: 6:35/18:03

London: 6:26/17:56

Southampton: 6:30/18:01

It's not like it's still pitch black in Northern Scotland at the moment and it's hardly the most densely populated part of the country                              

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
On 04/03/2018 at 19:20, Milhouse said:

I think this backs up the point that it's the weather that largely dictates usable outdoor conditions, not light levels!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Clocks went forward here..yesterday..now pitch black in the mornings again...grrrr

Posted

2 weeks to go before we see that mental shift in people's mood from winter to summer, Monday 27 will be the day we all feel it, and its always a very welcome day, after 5 months of dreary dark drab days. March for me is still a winter month in this regard despite it being Spring, it feels very different to April, its like a light switch is turned on when the clocks go forward. This year in particular feels more akin to 2013 when we had the long protracted winter, with little warmth. Sunday was nice but we need a long run of mild sunny days to change the mood - and the immediate prospects are not suggesting this. How we feel this evening after another miserable wet day and how we will feel in 2 weeks time on a Monday will be notably different because we will have extra light levels until nearly 8pm, a major change. Its all positive from thereon in my book... until then just have to grin and bear the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2 weeks to go before we see that mental shift in people's mood from winter to summer, Monday 27 will be the day we all feel it, and its always a very welcome day, after 5 months of dreary dark drab days. March for me is still a winter month in this regard despite it being Spring, it feels very different to April, its like a light switch is turned on when the clocks go forward. This year in particular feels more akin to 2013 when we had the long protracted winter, with little warmth. Sunday was nice but we need a long run of mild sunny days to change the mood - and the immediate prospects are not suggesting this. How we feel this evening after another miserable wet day and how we will feel in 2 weeks time on a Monday will be notably different because we will have extra light levels until nearly 8pm, a major change. Its all positive from thereon in my book... until then just have to grin and bear the next 2 weeks.

Absolutely agree. Especially compared to 14/15 and 15/16 where we had quite pleasantly warm early Autumns followed by mild (yet not so pleasant) winters. At least the rain was warm during the storms...

This year I think we had much more sunshine in the early part of winter although more recently it has been more dull and grey and just seems like winter is dragging on forever.

Posted
9 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Absolutely agree. Especially compared to 14/15 and 15/16 where we had quite pleasantly warm early Autumns followed by mild (yet not so pleasant) winters. At least the rain was warm during the storms...

This year I think we had much more sunshine in the early part of winter although more recently it has been more dull and grey and just seems like winter is dragging on forever.

The first 13 days of March have had only 19 hours of sunshine here, most of which has come over just two days. It has definitely felt very different to recent years, especially as every spring since 2007 apart from 2013 and 2014 have generally been above average for sunshine for the UK as a whole. Interestingly the only real UK-wide sunnier than average summers in that time were 2013 and 2014, so perhaps it isn't all bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Little bit confused by this tweet from the met office the daylight from sunrise to sunset today is around 11hrs 40 odd depending on which part of the country you live in

64646.thumb.png.7d1cc1e7246cad4ac32f9fa0e8cada70.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Little bit confused by this tweet from the met office the daylight from sunrise to sunset today is around 11hrs 40 odd depending on which part of the country you live in

64646.thumb.png.7d1cc1e7246cad4ac32f9fa0e8cada70.png

They've just updated it with a tweet saying that it was posted early due to a scheduling error. Guess they were planning on posting it on Sunday, oops.

But anyway, only a week to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Welcome to British summer time the best few months of the year are on the way 

:)

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Yay!!!  Warm rain instead of cold rain.  

Posted

Pleased today dawned cold frosty with blue skies and the afternoon/evening delivered some welcome sunshine adding to the spring light feeling, very good timing. Compared to last weekend, we have gone from depths of winter to splendours of spring.. 

6 months of decent light levels ahead now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

For me this is the most depressing time of the year..although the clocks went forward here nearly 3 weeks ago..due to the location of the city in my time zone..its still dark at 8am and its nearly April..its cold..its like a miserable day in the UK in early January...:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

To keep light levels as they are now would be perfect,bit of light in the mornings(not at 4am!) and bit of light in the evening but dark for bed,perfect:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
On 04/04/2018 at 11:07, markyo said:

To keep light levels as they are now would be perfect,bit of light in the mornings(not at 4am!) and bit of light in the evening but dark for bed,perfect:)

roll on the last sunday in october I say. 1 hour extra of sleep and the best time of year lies ahead.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

One more day until the summer solstice and the change to the days getting shorter! 

I am starting to get fed up with the long dry nights, and with a potential heat wave on the horizon - I personally cannot think of anything more depressing.  It is also awful for my kids who are very blonde and can only spend 5 minutes in the sun before it gets too much for them.

Roll on winter and roll on getting dark earlier I say! I know it is a bit strange to not like the warm and heat and light evenings but it really does depress me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
36 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

One more day until the summer solstice and the change to the days getting shorter! 

I am starting to get fed up with the long dry nights, and with a potential heat wave on the horizon - I personally cannot think of anything more depressing.  It is also awful for my kids who are very blonde and can only spend 5 minutes in the sun before it gets too much for them.

Roll on winter and roll on getting dark earlier I say! I know it is a bit strange to not like the warm and heat and light evenings but it really does depress me.

Yes, too true. We'll be going in the right direction. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

It doesn't get much better than this.....

Quote  ...Ptolemy