Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread


Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Napton on the Hill Warwickshire 500ft
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
  • Location: Napton on the Hill Warwickshire 500ft
    1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

    Happy solstice :)

    Things can only get better from here (apart from the mornings which still get worse for a while...)

    To be fair not notice anything yet

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield

    And so begins the decent into misery,restlessness and uncomfortableness that Summer brings. Those early mornings wake up calls,the streaming sunshine seen through the haze of sneezing and running eyes can't wait,....:angry:

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Summerseat (145m ASL)
  • Location: Summerseat (145m ASL)
    1 hour ago, markyo said:

    And so begins the decent into misery,restlessness and uncomfortableness that Summer brings. Those early mornings wake up calls,the streaming sunshine seen through the haze of sneezing and running eyes can't wait,....:angry:

    As a SAD sufferer going through a tough period with day after day of grey, drizzle and no prospect of any sun for a few days, I’m your exact opposite. Onwards and upwards from here, although it’s hard to notice for a month or so.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield
    53 minutes ago, Maz said:

    As a SAD sufferer going through a tough period with day after day of grey, drizzle and no prospect of any sun for a few days, I’m your exact opposite. Onwards and upwards from here, although it’s hard to notice for a month or so.

    I suffer SAD also,not being flippant at all,i have reverse SAD,the Summer months for me are the most unpleasant of the year,so i understand what your going through. I count the days day after mid June to a more bearable time of year like now. Hope you can find a bit of comfort when a proper clear winters day comes along,not many i know.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Darlington
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
  • Location: Darlington

    Stop adjusting clocks twice a year, Lithuania tells EU

    Quote

    Lithuania said (on) Thursday that it would push the European Union to abolish its law on daylight saving time, claiming that most people find it annoying to have to adjust their clocks twice a year. The Baltic nation's parliament voted 76 to seven, with seven abstentions, in favour of the government's proposal to open negotiations with the EU Commission.

    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/stop-adjusting-clocks-twice-lithuania-tells-eu-184545109.html

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    Oh dear where has the sun gone, not seen any since Saturday. The forecast remains a gloomy prospect, and it won't be until early next week when we see any real brightness, which would mean about 10 days with barely any sunshine.. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Summerseat (145m ASL)
  • Location: Summerseat (145m ASL)
    1 hour ago, markyo said:

    I suffer SAD also,not being flippant at all,i have reverse SAD,the Summer months for me are the most unpleasant of the year,so i understand what your going through. I count the days day after mid June to a more bearable time of year like now. Hope you can find a bit of comfort when a proper clear winters day comes along,not many i know.

    Yes, a clear frosty winters day or better still  snow can provide a great midwinter boost for me. As I’m guessing can a cool, drizzly day in Summer for you. I’m glad you are enjoying the dark days, and I will think of you when the spring light returns.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NW LONDON
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
  • Location: NW LONDON

    I'm enjoying the extra daylight in the evening now that the shortest day has gone, can sit out in the late evening sunshine and even enjoy a late BBQ:drunk-emoji:

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    19 hours ago, lassie23 said:

    I'm enjoying the extra daylight in the evening now that the shortest day has gone, can sit out in the late evening sunshine and even enjoy a late BBQ:drunk-emoji:

    7 minutes gained since the solstice, might need to do the sausages in the oven a bit before putting on the BBQ!

    Mornings near enough bottomed out now, will be gaining over a minute a day from the 31st.

     

     

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Mynydd - Isa , Nr Mold - North Wales
  • Weather Preferences: Mellow autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
  • Location: Mynydd - Isa , Nr Mold - North Wales

    As someone who looses interest in the loss of daylight shortly after Halloween, I have to say that the extra light of an evening time is starting to become noticeable of an evening now, even on cloudy days... Not by much, but enough. 
    In fact I went out to watch the sunset the other day, and I can confirm that for my neck of the woods (with the topography of the land etc, etc), the sun was setting eight minutes later than it was! :)
    Soon be thunderstorm and barbecue season 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Halewood, Merseyside, (29M ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
  • Location: Halewood, Merseyside, (29M ASL)
    4 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

    As someone who looses interest in the loss of daylight shortly after Halloween, I have to say that the extra light of an evening time is starting to become noticeable of an evening now, even on cloudy days... Not by much, but enough. 
    In fact I went out to watch the sunset the other day, and I can confirm that for my neck of the woods (with the topography of the land etc, etc), the sun was setting eight minutes later than it was! :)
    Soon be thunderstorm and barbecue season 

     Of course at this time of year most of that change is due to the equation of time rather than the lengthening day. The day has only got six minutes longer since the solstice, but because of the equation of time the sun sets 8-9 minutes later than it did. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: halifax 125m
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
  • Location: halifax 125m

    Starting to move now on an evening,twenty past 4 and it was daylight,lovely.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Keyingham, East Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms
  • Location: Keyingham, East Yorkshire

    Yes its a welcome sight SS! Brighter times round the corner

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Darlington
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
  • Location: Darlington

    Around 22 minutes gained in London and rapidly increasing now by Sunday we'll be gaining 3 minutes per day :yahoo:

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
  • Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

    Beginning to notice it now for sure. For work reasons I'm welcoming the gradually lengthening days...it also means storm chase season is just around the corner (4 months to go!) :D

    Edited by Nick L
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...