Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

And so begins the decent into misery,restlessness and uncomfortableness that Summer brings. Those early mornings wake up calls,the streaming sunshine seen through the haze of sneezing and running eyes can't wait,....:angry:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

And so begins the decent into misery,restlessness and uncomfortableness that Summer brings. Those early mornings wake up calls,the streaming sunshine seen through the haze of sneezing and running eyes can't wait,....:angry:

As a SAD sufferer going through a tough period with day after day of grey, drizzle and no prospect of any sun for a few days, I’m your exact opposite. Onwards and upwards from here, although it’s hard to notice for a month or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Maz said:

As a SAD sufferer going through a tough period with day after day of grey, drizzle and no prospect of any sun for a few days, I’m your exact opposite. Onwards and upwards from here, although it’s hard to notice for a month or so.

I suffer SAD also,not being flippant at all,i have reverse SAD,the Summer months for me are the most unpleasant of the year,so i understand what your going through. I count the days day after mid June to a more bearable time of year like now. Hope you can find a bit of comfort when a proper clear winters day comes along,not many i know.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop adjusting clocks twice a year, Lithuania tells EU

Quote

Lithuania said (on) Thursday that it would push the European Union to abolish its law on daylight saving time, claiming that most people find it annoying to have to adjust their clocks twice a year. The Baltic nation's parliament voted 76 to seven, with seven abstentions, in favour of the government's proposal to open negotiations with the EU Commission.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/stop-adjusting-clocks-twice-lithuania-tells-eu-184545109.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear where has the sun gone, not seen any since Saturday. The forecast remains a gloomy prospect, and it won't be until early next week when we see any real brightness, which would mean about 10 days with barely any sunshine.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I suffer SAD also,not being flippant at all,i have reverse SAD,the Summer months for me are the most unpleasant of the year,so i understand what your going through. I count the days day after mid June to a more bearable time of year like now. Hope you can find a bit of comfort when a proper clear winters day comes along,not many i know.

Yes, a clear frosty winters day or better still  snow can provide a great midwinter boost for me. As I’m guessing can a cool, drizzly day in Summer for you. I’m glad you are enjoying the dark days, and I will think of you when the spring light returns.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lassie23 said:

I'm enjoying the extra daylight in the evening now that the shortest day has gone, can sit out in the late evening sunshine and even enjoy a late BBQ:drunk-emoji:

7 minutes gained since the solstice, might need to do the sausages in the oven a bit before putting on the BBQ!

Mornings near enough bottomed out now, will be gaining over a minute a day from the 31st.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who looses interest in the loss of daylight shortly after Halloween, I have to say that the extra light of an evening time is starting to become noticeable of an evening now, even on cloudy days... Not by much, but enough. 
In fact I went out to watch the sunset the other day, and I can confirm that for my neck of the woods (with the topography of the land etc, etc), the sun was setting eight minutes later than it was! :)
Soon be thunderstorm and barbecue season 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

As someone who looses interest in the loss of daylight shortly after Halloween, I have to say that the extra light of an evening time is starting to become noticeable of an evening now, even on cloudy days... Not by much, but enough. 
In fact I went out to watch the sunset the other day, and I can confirm that for my neck of the woods (with the topography of the land etc, etc), the sun was setting eight minutes later than it was! :)
Soon be thunderstorm and barbecue season 

 Of course at this time of year most of that change is due to the equation of time rather than the lengthening day. The day has only got six minutes longer since the solstice, but because of the equation of time the sun sets 8-9 minutes later than it did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning to notice it now for sure. For work reasons I'm welcoming the gradually lengthening days...it also means storm chase season is just around the corner (4 months to go!) :D

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...