Snow?

The changing daylight hours thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens twice every year (March and September) near where I live, the sunsets between two trees. These two sunsets, 11 1/2 years apart March 2009 Last evening

Well guess what LG, some of us here suffer from SAD so I can't tell you how much that can affect your mood and how much better daylight can make you feel. Need I remind you how much you complain about

You think? We get these same stories and debates every single year but nothing ever changes.   Long live GMT!

Posted Images

Might be just me but I feel less tired in the Autumn, Winter & early Spring, I definitely sleep better in those times as the nights are a lot darker. I have found it a lot more difficult to get a deep sleep over the last couple of months, been many times I have woken up with the bedroom being bright at 4:30am, made a lot worse if the sun is out.

I have heard the body clock responds to daylight, so when the sun comes up & makes the room bright the body thinks it's time to be awake. Maybe finally getting blackout curtains might work, bit late now given we are entering later Summer but will get some about March.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Might be just me but I feel less tired in the Autumn, Winter & early Spring, I definitely sleep better in those times as the nights are a lot darker. I have found it a lot more difficult to get a deep sleep over the last couple of months, been many times I have woken up with the bedroom being bright at 4:30am, made a lot worse if the sun is out.

I have heard the body clock responds to daylight, so when the sun comes up & makes the room bright the body thinks it's time to be awake. Maybe finally getting blackout curtains might work, bit late now given we are entering later Summer but will get some about March.

Don't forget the incessant birds chirping away at 3 a.m lol

• Like 1

Brds singing and daylight dont affect me in summer. The reason I dont sleep welll is because its stupidly hot ......   Mind, its not much different in "winter" these days :( 

5 hours ago, Essan said:

Brds singing and daylight dont affect me in summer. The reason I dont sleep welll is because its stupidly hot ......   Mind, its not much different in "winter" these days :( 

That too...

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Halfway between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox.

Was posting in the Scotland thread about the 'Dog Days of summer' and what I felt it meant, referring to those lingering end of summer days where there's still some decent daylight. But what is also noticeable is not only the comparitive loss of light from mid-summer, but the lower sun in the sky, and the longer shadows that accompany the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the loss of those 4am sunrises,pointless and annoying. Waking up and getting ready for the day whilst watching the sunrise really boasts the mood! Bring on Autumn and Winter,only gets better!:)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

We've entered the month of most loss of daylight; my most permanent location, Birmingham, loses 1 hour and 57 minutes of daylight in September. Meanwhile, the Isles of Scilly lose 1 hour and 46 minutes of daylight over the course of the month, and Lerwick loses a whopping 2 hours and 38 minutes!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Today is the Autumn Equinox meaning we are now just 11 weeks and 6 days off the shortest day and 12 weeks and 3 days off Christmas

:santa-emoji::shok:

I think you mean 13 weeks and 6 days, and 14 weeks and 3 days, respectively.