Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I just love this time of year. Yes work wise it’s harder, just hope we don’t get a winter like 2013/14 when we nearly got washed away! 

But you can wrap up against the cold and there’s no sweating as I walk 9 miles a day. In fact the long johns are out already :) 

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That doesn’t really make any impact, until you enter the middle of Feb, and even then it’s still pretty dark by 6pm. 

I know, but it's the feeling that at least things aren't getting any worse and the longer days are coming (albeit slowly). And there are usually a few early signs of Spring by late February.

Just like the uneasy feeling I get after the Summer solstice; I know there are plenty of long days left but I suddenly feel like I need to make the most of them because otherwise it will be the middle of winter before I know it.

Posted
1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

I know, but it's the feeling that at least things aren't getting any worse and the longer days are coming (albeit slowly). And there are usually a few early signs of Spring by late February.

Just like the uneasy feeling I get after the Summer solstice; I know there are plenty of long days left but I suddenly feel like I need to make the most of them because otherwise it will be the middle of winter before I know it.

I get you. Although, I tend to remain in denial about losing the light after mid June, and don’t really notice it until we reach mid August. September however, is the month that feels like summer is going and the colder season is coming. 

Even September seems like a long time ago now.

Posted
2 hours ago, philglossop said:

I just love this time of year. Yes work wise it’s harder, just hope we don’t get a winter like 2013/14 when we nearly got washed away! 

But you can wrap up against the cold and there’s no sweating as I walk 9 miles a day. In fact the long johns are out already :) 

Yes, I wore long johns for the first time last winter, during the December cold snap and then again during Feb and early March while it was snowing. It definitely makes a difference if you have to work outside, or walk around like I do. 

Posted

There is a pronounced marked change in the feel of things when the clocks go back - a very sudden abrupt one that doesn't occur at any other stage in the year I feel. The clocks going forward doesn't tend to have the same effect I feel.

This year it has been more notable given the change coincided with the first injection of cold weather since early April, which is a long time ago now. At least though it has been preety sunny in many spots so we haven't seen a very early onset of darkness that occurs from now on until late Jan when we have cloudy overcast skies. 

A cold crisp day does wonders at this time of year, such as we have had over the past few days. Its the wet overcast days combined with low light that quite rightly most people have reason not to like.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
19 hours ago, philglossop said:

Plymouth doesn't get cold enough to warrant long johns ..t-shirt and a mac 364 days a year.

Posted
5 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Plymouth doesn't get cold enough to warrant long johns ..t-shirt and a mac 364 days a year.

It was cold enough here in London last winter to wear long johns. But, I work outside half the time, so naturally I’ll be more wrapped up than office folk.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

This may already have been, wrote about.... but does anyone remember the time they didn't put the clocks back/forward?? Early 70s, I'd say 72... they did it stop accidents with children but accidents increased ( and the following year, it reverted back to normal )... I remember going to school, about 6 or 8 of us all holding hands with 2 or 3 mum's... I could be wrong in the year but I remember it snowed before xmas, if my memory is right?? We also had to wear reflective wear, it wasn't called HiVis then... lol... sorry if this as already been done, just doing a remember thing lol... Ged

Posted
On 25/11/2018 at 20:04, Mokidugway said:

At least the nights drawing in is slow now start drawing out  in 3 weeks  

Only another 8 minutes of evening daylight still to lose where I am. I make it around the 13th December when evenings start to get lighter (although incredibly slowly at first).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It’s only 5 minutes here, but mornings we’ll loose another 25 minutes (748am this morning out to 8:14 by shortest day) We continue to eek out till Boxing Day at 8:16am - but we’ll start to improve both ends from 2nd January 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't mind the dark mornings so much, it's the evenings I hate. As soon as it gets dark before 6pm, I dislike it. So I very much look forward to the solstice. It's very hard to explain to people who don't experience it, how much being dark so much affects mood.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's 9am but it's so dark outside. Imagine if we were on BST all year round 

Posted

Despite the gradual increase in daylight hours after December 21st, for me personally, things don’t improve that much until we reach March. 

Evenings in January, and February are still quite dark(dark before 6). 

March 1st seems like a long way off, even from New Years Day lol.

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Despite the gradual increase in daylight hours after December 21st, for me personally, things don’t improve that much until we reach March. 

Evenings in January, and February are still quite dark(dark before 6). 

March 1st seems like a long way off, even from New Years Day lol.

things don't better here until Mid April..dark mornings last until then..and i mean sunrise before 8am..evenings are fine still light at 8.30pm..but i hate getting up in the dark.

Posted
On 29/11/2018 at 15:42, cheeky_monkey said:

things don't better here until Mid April..dark mornings last until then..and i mean sunrise before 8am..evenings are fine still light at 8.30pm..but i hate getting up in the dark.

Yes, that’s why I don’t understand the excitement that comes from people when we hit January. The daylight hours are increasing very slowly, plus the worst of the weather is usually still to come. 

Last winter here in England extended into the spring and lingered until April in many areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Well I must be a very optimistic person! Even though we are still a few days away from the solstice, today marks the day for the earliest sunset!

actually I am also pretty happy after we have passed the autumn equinox, knowing that the rate of change in daylight starts to reduce from that point on

I agree that the mornings can be a bit unpleasant, but having lighter evenings is much more of use to myself, and probably for most other people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

Well I must be a very optimistic person! Even though we are still a few days away from the solstice, today marks the day for the earliest sunset!

actually I am also pretty happy after we have passed the autumn equinox, knowing that the rate of change in daylight starts to reduce from that point on

I agree that the mornings can be a bit unpleasant, but having lighter evenings is much more of use to myself, and probably for most other people.

13th for us up in the north and then we begin to slowly but surely gain time in the afternoons from the 20th

Posted

Earliest sunset today, things can only get better now

(Before anyone moans about my optimism, yes I know that evening light increases painfully slowly to start with and mornings still get darker for a few weeks, but still it's a milestone like the solstice).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As soon as the sunsets start getting later it feels like a turning point for me. I know it's psychological, but it gives me a boost so I don't care!

Posted
3 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Earliest sunset today, things can only get better now

(Before anyone moans about my optimism, yes I know that evening light increases painfully slowly to start with and mornings still get darker for a few weeks, but still it's a milestone like the solstice).

its the dark mornings i cant abide

Posted

Yes we have hit the low point today in terms of earliest sunset, it now stays where it is and picks up again from the 20th, however, sunrise continues to lag behind and it takes until about 6 Jan before we see an increase again...

Its for this reason I tend to find the first week of January the most miserable in terms of light levels - mornings are a real struggle then.