Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

No way has the Thames frozen in September.

Just going by what the article says.

Posted

A few folk on here getting flippant about some of us getting excited about the perfectly natural and regular progress of the seasons. Wait til' March when they are getting silly and giddy about spring and summer...

• Like 1

Posted

A few folk on here getting flippant about some of us getting excited about the perfectly natural and regular progress of the seasons. Wait til' March when they are getting silly and giddy about spring and summer...

At least we actually wait until March. That would be like the sunlight-haters waiting until September to start drooling over winter - instead come April we have to put up with stuff like "only 8 weeks until the days start getting shorter again" and it lasts well into autumn. Posted Image

Come late September I too will be looking forward to the long winter nights. Until then I'm going to savour the warmth of the sun (when it bothers to come out), which makes such a difference to the feel of things in summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

At least we actually wait until March. That would be like the sunlight-haters waiting until September to start drooling over winter - instead come April we have to put up with stuff like "only 8 weeks until the days start getting shorter again" and it lasts well into autumn. Posted Image

Come late September I too will be looking forward to the long winter nights. Until then I'm going to savour the warmth of the sun (when it bothers to come out), which makes such a difference to the feel of things in summer.

Precisely, from December the 22nd the countdown is on until the days shorten again!  Much less obvious the other way round!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

At least we actually wait until March. That would be like the sunlight-haters waiting until September to start drooling over winter - instead come April we have to put up with stuff like "only 8 weeks until the days start getting shorter again" and it lasts well into autumn. Posted Imager

Pretty sure such things are said in jest, often followed by a wink or sticky-out-tongue emoticon. It's up to the individual to interpret how people post things.. some people get offended or upset very easily.. and when it is about something such as the weather or day length, things out of our control completely, it's really quite silly. People really need to keep in mind that people wishing or yearning or colder weather or shorter days really has no effect on what will happen - it isn't going to make it any more likely. Just enjoy it while you can because it will be gone eventually.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Come Feb, if there's no disruptive/big snow/cold/frost then I can't wait for long days, short nights, BBQ's and staying out in the garden/chilling with mates.

Come Aug, if there's no big heatwave, then I can't wait for long nights, short days, frosts, heavy snow and drinking hot drinks by the fire, hopefully with snow outside.

That's about it really, moods completely change for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Hell's bells. As if the mod/global warming (or not) threads aren't bad enough. Does there have to be an argument in here, too? Oh dear. It not as if there can really be any argument about whether the nights draw in during the autumn, is it?

I'd love autumn more if I didn't live in a built-up area and could actually see more than a few stars on clear nights. I was more than marginally peed off this evening, though, when the heavy cloud cover meant that it was dark enough indoors to need the lights on 2 hours before sunset.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

No way has the Thames frozen in September.

I agree, The Thames only slightly started to freeze over in Jan 1987 with daytime maxes well below freezing and those temps are impossible in September.

I do remember September 1986 there hasn't been a colder one since,there were plenty of frosty mornings but becoming nice and sunny

I wish we could have a repeat of the next years weather from Sept 1986 onwards.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

I agree, The Thames only slightly started to freeze over in Jan 1987 with daytime maxes well below freezing and those temps are impossible in September.

I wish we could have a repeat of the next years weather from Sept 1986 onwards.

Where did it freeze?

Posted

Where did it freeze?

Was there not just a slight glaze on top?, if not then I stand corrected and adds more weight to the fact that it is impossible for it to freeze in September

Posted

It did freeze properly upstream from London in January 1987. There's a photo of it in a book of mine.

I always thought it did, I remember news snippets but I did start to think my memory was playing tricks with me when others mentioned on this site that it had not happened for a few hundred years.

Posted

first time this season I've had to have headlights on at both ends of the day :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very dismal this morning - harder to get up in for sure.

But it is 7c warmer than the previous night so much more comfortable in the house overnight & this morning.

Posted

Very dismal this morning - harder to get up in for sure.

I had to look twice at the time as it seemed to be the middle of the night :doh: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Somewhere in a small corner of Sheffield one man is waking up with a large smile on his face! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

wouldn't that be fantastic to get september snow i would love to c it 1time in my life. Oh and jaks your right my spelling isn't the best in the world. Lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

wouldn't that be fantastic to get september snow i would love to c it 1time in my life. Oh and jaks your right my spelling isn't the best in the world. Lol.

Yes, but we can let you off for that my friend. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with fog and a good layer of snow.

would also like to see snow in September some time, but would like it to snow the most in December Posted Image

Posted

I always thought it did, I remember news snippets but I did start to think my memory was playing tricks with me when others mentioned on this site that it had not happened for a few hundred years.

Did the Thames freeze anywhere in Dec 2010? The Severn in Shrewsbury did twice, so it surely could have done in say Oxford?It's impossible in central London now as it's fully tidal there, this was not the case when the old London bridge existed as by all accounts it formed a barrage and only let the highest tides overtop it.

Posted

Starting to notice some trees with a hint of autumn on them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Starting to notice some trees with a hint of autumn on them.

Must be your locale then, still yet to get the fruits/nuts/berries and general harvest in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Between now and when I go back to school (3rd of September), I am supposed to lose over an hour of daylight. The days really are very rapidly diminishing now, and the rate at which they do so is quite impressive if you ask me, despite my southern location in the UK.