Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Light really fading now, looking forward to autumnal days and nights

• Like 6

Posted

Dreading midnight next Tuesday.

AUG 31st becomes SEP 1.

It always signals the steady decline back into winter and the darker period of the year.

I’m hopeful we will have an Indian summer to make up for it. A 10 day hot spell in mid to late September will do nicely.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Dreading midnight next Tuesday.

AUG 31st becomes SEP 1.

It always signals the steady decline back into winter and the darker period of the year.

I’m hopeful we will have an Indian summer to make up for it. A 10 day hot spell in mid to late September will do nicely.

Yes psychologically perhaps 1 September has the biggest most pronounced affect on the physche of any other day of the year. Summer over again, back to school.. the equivalent at the other end if the year 1 March has a somewhat lesser impact namely because it doesn't mark the start of anything other than Spring. The last Sunday before school re-starts for the new academic year always had an effect on me. This year it coincides with Bank Holiday so not quite the same affect. In years when the 31st isn't a Monday it does though... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Whilst at football on Wednesday night- it was odd to think a mere month ago- you could just about get to fulltime without the floodlights- we certainly did down at Wadebridge Town. 

Now they're on at half time and sunset was before halftime 2015hrs. Ironically floodlights failed at Wadebridge Wednesday night!!

I'm still hoping to get to Greece the last week of September, but when I get home- then it'll be full on Autumn- and my favourite time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

First day back at work after 2 weeks off and definitely in the lights on to get ready category at 6am this morning xx

Edited by snowgirl30
Spelling error

Posted
On 31/08/2021 at 07:01, snowgirl30 said:

First day back at work after 2 weeks off and definitely in the lights on to get ready category at 6am this morning xx

Pitch black at half five this morning - I know there was 1000% cloud cover, but it was a rude awakening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Certainly a lot more noticeable now.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

This is when we start to notice the rapid loss of light levels during the evening. On dull overcast and wet ones, early darkness can set in not much later than half 7 as we enter September, by the end of the month even when sunny, its nearing darkness by 7pm. The light really slips through your fingers through September, try to catch it and hold it whilst you can!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

First signs of the imminent onset of the Polar Night. Picture 3rd September in Svalbard. First day of freezing temps.

C

02-gruvedalen.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Europe has put its planned scrapping of daylight saving time this year on indefinite hold as a result Europe will like the UK put clocks back at 2am on Sunday 31st

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

horribly dark in the mornings..sunrise has now crept past 8am...my morning walk takes place entirely in the dark now ...and will do until Mid March which is depressing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
10 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

horribly dark in the mornings..sunrise has now crept past 8am...my morning walk takes place entirely in the dark now ...and will do until Mid March which is depressing

Sure is. 2 more weeks until we are plunged into the darkness of pre-5pm sunsets for the next 3 months....oh well, 10 weeks until it starts getting lighter again! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally love the darker evenings and I could never understand why they get so much hate. But oh well. 

Posted
30 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I personally love the darker evenings and I could never understand why they get so much hate. But oh well. 

I think it’s because most people find them depressing. The combination of darkness, cold temperatures, damp and cold weather, makes the days feel like a slog. Plus, coming home from work at 8pm feels like midnight already when it’s dark. 

I don’t mind the run up to Christmas, as the festive mood kicks in around mid to late November, but anything before and after that I hate with a passion, and long for March 1st to arrive. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
34 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

From my own personal perspective, my problem with early-evening darkness is pretty much down to the fact that I see things better in daylight!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it’s because most people find them depressing. The combination of darkness, cold temperatures, damp and cold weather, makes the days feel like a slog. Plus, coming home from work at 8pm feels like midnight already when it’s dark. 

I don’t mind the run up to Christmas, as the festive mood kicks in around mid to late November, but anything before and after that I hate with a passion, and long for March 1st to arrive. 

Yes, even though I see the beauty in all 4 seasons I can certainly appreciate that. 

I think the problem with winter in this country is that it is often mild, damp and overcast. I suppose if our climate was a little more continental then dark evenings wouldn't get such a bad rap maybe?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

From my own personal perspective, my problem with early-evening darkness is pretty much down to the fact that I see things better in daylight!

You need to eat more carrots. You'll then be able to see in the dark. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
22 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I think the problem with winter in this country is that it is often mild, damp and overcast. I suppose if our climate was a little more continental then dark evenings wouldn't get such a bad rap maybe?

I think that is it; winter is mainly grim - with grey, wet & windy weather. I wonder what it would be like if we had more proper cold, frosty, snowy weather - would it seem as bad? The light seems different when we have snow lying on the ground.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, even though I see the beauty in all 4 seasons I can certainly appreciate that. 

Yeah, I preferred the winters in Toronto, despite many daytime maxes hovering between -15 at its coldest, to -1 or 0c when it’s mild.

More days would be cold and sunny, in between the dumps of snowfall. A great day would last maybe 2-3 days, and it would be sunny for a week at a time. 

That’s why I find winter so tiresome back in the U.K. Even in a cold winter, it remains dull for long periods during dry spells. The sunshine and cold would be the best way to tolerate the October to March period l.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

i live in a continental climate..dark evenings are fine with me..its the dark mornings that i find really hard..getting up in the dark going to work in the dark..in the depth of winter Mid Nov- Mid Jan sunrise isnt until after 9am here..which is a good hour later than the UK

• Like 1

Posted

December without Christmas would be very depressing. Some can take or leave Christmas.. but I enjoy the build up provide it starts in December and not November.. mind given it never took off last year.. I suspect for many the build up has started already..

Post New Year period is the biggest come down though and when wet and overcast it is very miserable. We should hibernate in January.. or have New Year a month later instead - Chinese have it right..when light levels begin to increase properly. New Year comes too soon after Christmas and its impact is minimal.. 

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

December without Christmas would be very depressing. Some can take or leave Christmas.. but I enjoy the build up provide it starts in December and not November.. mind given it never took off last year.. I suspect for many the build up has started already..

Post New Year period is the biggest come down though and when wet and overcast it is very miserable. We should hibernate in January.. or have New Year a month later instead - Chinese have it right..when light levels begin to increase properly. New Year comes too soon after Christmas and its impact is minimal.. 

I always find the period from New Year’s Day until March 1st the worst 8 week period of the year. The festive season is over, which is a welcome distraction from the darkness of winter. But, despite the increasing daylight, the two month period that follows is a long hard slog.

If I could fast forward to March 1st every year New Year’s Day, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looking forward to the clock change now, the mornings have gone from "ideal light" to "depressingly dark" very quickly.