Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

There is an excellent website showing daylight timings for every day and all locations. Interesting to see 'night' doesn't start again until about 3 Aug. Must check exact date.. suddenly there is 40 minutes of it.. Hence for much of May to August we don't have true 'night'.. 

It's called time and date.com. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

There is an excellent website showing daylight timings for every day and all locations. Interesting to see 'night' doesn't start again until about 3 Aug. Must check exact date.. suddenly there is 40 minutes of it.. Hence for much of May to August we don't have true 'night'.. 

For my area true night returns 21st July. All go from then on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

One of the best websites that is. Always got it open at work.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Seconded, brilliant website

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
13 hours ago, Nick L said:

can be quite depressing mid winter..when dark mornings seem endless...checking every week when sun up is before 8am...i mean its the same date every year but each year i think it might get earlier 

Posted
14 hours ago, Seasonal Trim said:

For my area true night returns 21st July. All go from then on. 

Yes interesting to see the marked differences between north and south in the summer and winter periods closest to the solstice. Rate of light loss is slow in the north until August compared to the south but then increases markedly compared to the south where a slower rate takes over. Equally in winter there is a painful gain of light through January in the north compared to the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Time and Date is a most excellent website! ??
I check it most days and note with great satisfaction that for my location we've currently lost 20 minutes of sunlight in the mornings, and 13 minutes of sunlight at the evening end of the day! 
Plus we're currently loosing about 2mins 30 seconds, and accelerating! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
19 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Time and Date is a most excellent website! ??
I check it most days and note with great satisfaction that for my location we've currently lost 20 minutes of sunlight in the mornings, and 13 minutes of sunlight at the evening end of the day! 
Plus we're currently loosing about 2mins 30 seconds, and accelerating! 

Glad someone enjoys the descent into Autumn/Winter (I mean this genuinely, not being snarky or anything!).

Personally, I hate it  Still, at least there are a few weeks of 'prime time' evening light left yet! Although it's depressing to see the pre-9pm sunset times are now in range on the BBC forecast for my location, with the last 9pm sunset being on the 26th!

Posted

On the 21st June, nautical twilight (the stage before true darkness) started at 23.59 and ended at 2.21 when it started to get light again

Today, 17th July, nautical twilight starts at 23.21 and ends at 3.05.

Noticeable differences already. The second darkest period of the night has been extended by almost an hour already at the morning end and in 10 days time true night will be back.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Making the most of the best time of the year. Always a depressing thought that we are now in the descendency into darker nights. 

I’ve always wanted to relocate near to the equator during the winter months, as our winters are so terribly dire these days. At least in places like N America and Canada, you know you’ll be getting some exciting snowy weather, or in Singapore it’ll be a continuation of summer and storms! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
21 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Making the most of the best time of the year. Always a depressing thought that we are now in the descendency into darker nights. 

I’ve always wanted to relocate near to the equator during the winter months, as our winters are so terribly dire these days. At least in places like N America and Canada, you know you’ll be getting some exciting snowy weather, or in Singapore it’ll be a continuation of summer and storms! 

i have been in discussions with a UK company about a job in Singapore..was looking seems sunset and sunrise times only deviate by around 10 mins all year

Posted

Mad to think in 5 months time it’ll be as dark as it is now almost 6 hours earlier.

Always hard to believe when you’re at one of the extremes in terms of day length.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

At a local football game down at Liskeard last night and the lowering light was very obvious from half time, and whilst not needing lights, it was very dimpse come the end at 2115. 

It was the first night I've really noticed it drawing in. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/07/2021 at 23:06, damianslaw said:

Great website I have to say. Always use it to check sunrise/sunset, info about the moon phases, solar/lunar eclipses and also can check weather data for any station. 

• Like 1

Posted

Currently on a late shift and it’s the first time I’ve properly noticed it tonight. A month ago it would have been this dark about an hour from now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long, snowy winters
  • Weather Preferences: long, snowy winters

First day here where there's a pre-9pm sunset! True night also returns tomorrow night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Really starting to notice the earlier nights now, and according to Time and Date we get our first actual dark night tonight (well, tomorrow morning but YNWIM) wince the 17th of May.  

Not long 'til autumn now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 17/07/2021 at 11:10, Lance M said:

Glad someone enjoys the descent into Autumn/Winter (I mean this genuinely, not being snarky or anything!).

Personally, I hate it  Still, at least there are a few weeks of 'prime time' evening light left yet! Although it's depressing to see the pre-9pm sunset times are now in range on the BBC forecast for my location, with the last 9pm sunset being on the 26th!

Morning @Lance M
Hey, no offence taken, and I understand exactly where you're coming from. I'm quite strange... I admit that I don't like the overhead sun in the summer, and I find the fact that the none stop light an irritation. But once the solstice has passed, I do look forward to that run into autumn, as I genuinely love this time of year. But once we've passed Halloween and Bonfire night, I start to fell as though we've got too much darkness, and start looking forward to the Winter solstice so that we can start to gain a bit of daylight again. 

I suppose for me the ideal time is around the equinoxes so its 12 hours of sunlight, and 12 hours without... As once we get into April again, I start craving the extra darkness.

So I do fully understand where you're coming from. ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Next Friday the 6th is when I have my first pre 9pm sunset that’s is Darlington x my ideal time is 830pm for sunset it allows me to get home from work without driving in dark.

Posted

really noticing the darker mornings now..going for my 5.30am walk the street lights are still on and its half light..a month ago the sun was up and was wearing my sunglasses 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Yes more notable the darker evenings now, first pre 9pm sunsets here, and with cloudy skies this evening it’s already pretty gloomy.  Another 4 weeks and will be pre 8pm sunset!  Autumn is certainly not far away!

Posted

Tonight is the first night of no lingering twilight here. Evenings starting to rapidly draw in now. Losing over 3 minutes of light a day.

• Like 3

Posted

First dull evening on a long while has made for first time curtain closing for quite a few weeks. I haven't bothered recently.. no need.

Posted

Morning everyone. 
Last night at 01:03 we finally left the world of the lingering twilight for another year. 
Speaking as someone who really isn't keen on the overhead summer sun, this for me is something worth celebrating. 

• Like 3

Posted

We have until 3rd August before 'night' returns.. mind the last couple of evenings have been very dull and overcast and curtains closed firmly before 10pm, a big contrast to last week!

• Like 1