Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It doesn’t really become noticeable until mid august. And even then, the loss of daylight doesn’t really take hold properly until mid September. 

The third weekend of august is usually when I start to notice the first hints of summer drawing to a close, even if the weather is still hot. 

So 3 months to go, let's look forward to maximum light levels in the weeks ahead, that's what I say.. a dose of Vitamin D is nature's free tonic.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 17/05/2021 at 08:04, markyo said:

The journey to the best season of the year begins then!

Evening @markyo 
It certainly has my friend. 

On 17/05/2021 at 09:51, Sunny76 said:

It doesn’t really become noticeable until mid august. And even then, the loss of daylight doesn’t really take hold properly until mid September. 

The third weekend of august is usually when I start to notice the first hints of summer drawing to a close, even if the weather is still hot. 

On 17/05/2021 at 08:00, hillbilly said:

Maybe but ther will only be a handful of minutes difference in 8 weeks and not any real noticable difference for 10 to 12 weeks,weather dependant of course!

Evening @Sunny76 and @hillbilly
In this neck of the woods, the darker evenings tend to be first noticeable from around the middle of July, although it is only marginal at that stage... But by the end of July its really becoming very prominent.
The mornings however really get noticeably dark at a right ole pace... But most tend not to notice as its in what most normal people call the middle of the night. Lol  
But I have to be totally honest, the rate at which the mornings have gotten lighter over the past two weeks is incredible! I know I witness it every year, but it never ceases to amaze me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Evening @markyo 

Evening @Sunny76 and @hillbilly
In this neck of the woods, the darker evenings tend to be first noticeable from around the middle of July, although it is only marginal at that stage... But by the end of July its really becoming very prominent.
The mornings however really get noticeably dark at a right ole pace... But most tend not to notice as its in what most normal people call the middle of the night. Lol  
But I have to be totally honest, the rate at which the mornings have gotten lighter over the past two weeks is incredible! I know I witness it every year, but it never ceases to amaze me. 

It is certainly amazing how the light differs in summer,this can be drastic due to different weather.Here in the Pennines we can be often dogged with cloud which can make over an hours difference to darkness at the same time of night.The moon also can make an even bigger difference,i have been out on a clear night and full moon close to the solstice working on the farm without lights at 2 Am but equally on a dull  cloudy evening it can be almost dark at 10.00Pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Evening @markyo 

Got to be honest the run in from June to Autumn is one of the best, just waiting for that drop in light level, the longer shadows, the feel and fantastic Autumn smell...can't wait!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Got to be honest the run in from June to Autumn is one of the best, just waiting for that drop in light level, the longer shadows, the feel and fantastic Autumn smell...can't wait!

This year it hasn’t really felt like spring. It’s almost like a continuation of winter 2020/21 with 5 days of spring, and now autumn is already here. 

We need some 24-27c soon, as this constant dull and small sunny spells, mixed with wind and rain is really becoming rather tedious.

Plus, we’ve got the heating on again, as the flat still feels cold. By this time last year, we had the windows open, and I was wearing shorts in the flat, even though April was still chilly at times last year, May was nice and warm.

Maybe this is a blip, or the start of a period of colder summers. I really hope not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

4 weeks and we will begin to see the nights draw in again, really can’t wait, these light evenings are horrible! Roll on September/October when it will be dark by 5-6!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Bobafet said:

4 weeks and we will begin to see the nights draw in again, really can’t wait, these light evenings are horrible! Roll on September/October when it will be dark by 5-6!

I can’t understand why people like you and Markyo long for the cold and dark months, when we’ve only just come out of the darker months. 

We still haven’t had any decent sunny evenings to get the full benefit of those long days, and I for one, hate the idea of cold dark evenings at 6pm. That can do one for another 4 months!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 20/05/2021 at 19:11, markyo said:

Morning @markyo 
Seconded, thirded and fourthed mate. ????

12 hours ago, Bobafet said:

Morning @Bobafet

Hang in there mate… The good times will return. 

11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I can’t understand why people like you and Markyo long for the cold and dark months, when we’ve only just come out of the darker months. 

We still haven’t had any decent sunny evenings to get the full benefit of those long days, and I for one, hate the idea of cold dark evenings at 6pm. That can do one for another 4 months!

Morning @Sunny76

Some people suffer with reverse S.A.D. I know I suffer with a form of it. The past few years I’ve been able to control mine quite well, but with the shock of loosing my Dad last year it’s brought it back for me big time.

I fully understand where you’re coming from, as I’m surrounded by folk, just like your good self, who want long summer days and very short nights... Meanwhile I just want to crawl into a cave till all of this excess light is over… But instead I have to go out in it for the sake of family peace.

For me personally I love that time from about mid July till about mid November; and the light around the time of the equinox(s) are just perfect for me. Likewise, I personally find the light in September and October is like no other time of year and is absolutely heavenly.

But once we get past mid-November I find that, (for me anyway) we have a bit too much darkness and suddenly find myself, (like your good self) craving that extra day light. The flip side of this is where we are now… Once past mid-April there is just too much light, and I find myself craving darkness.

I realise this may seem like the ramblings of a madman, but hopefully you can see a little bit of where I’m coming from. 

Edited by Dangerous55019
Dyslexic fingers
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning everyone. 

With just four weeks to go until the solstice, today was our first pre 05:00 sunrise of 2021!

39CE7F34-3EB3-433C-8F7F-D5427523C6A4.jpeg

Edited by Dangerous55019

Posted

Morning @markyo 
Seconded, thirded and fourthed mate. ????

Morning @Bobafet

Hang in there mate… The good times will return. 

Morning @Sunny76

Some people suffer with reverse S.A.D. I know I suffer with a form of it. The past few years I’ve been able to control mine quite well, but with the shock of loosing my Dad last year it’s brought it back for me big time.

I fully understand where you’re coming from, as I’m surrounded by folk, just like your good self, who want long summer days and very short nights... Meanwhile I just want to crawl into a cave till all of this excess light is over… But instead I have to go out in it for the sake of family peace.

For me personally I love that time from about mid July till about mid November; and the light around the time of the equinox(s) are just perfect for me. Likewise, I personally find the light in September and October is like no other time of year and is absolutely heavenly.

But once we get past mid-November I find that, (for me anyway) we have a bit too much darkness and suddenly find myself, (like your good self) craving that extra day light. The flip side of this is where we are now… Once past mid-April there is just too much light, and I find myself craving darkness.

I realise this may seem like the ramblings of a madman, but hopefully you can see a little bit of where I’m coming from. 

I do understand, but living in a country where most of the year we suffer from a lack of sunny days, it just confuses me that some on here moan about it being too hot and uncomfortable for sleeping between June and august, if the temp hits or exceeds 26c. 

The reality is, even in a hot summer like 2018, the heat only lasts for a few weeks at a time, before have a cooler interlude which lasts for several days at a time.

2019 and 2020, had more cooler or average summer days, with just brief hot spikes. 

The long and short of it is, the hot weather and humid conditions never last that long. The damp and cool eventually wins out, which is why I tend to enjoy the heat when it does arrive. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I do understand, but living in a country where most of the year we suffer from a lack of sunny days, it just confuses me that some on here moan about it being too hot and uncomfortable for sleeping between June and august, if the temp hits or exceeds 26c. 

The reality is, even in a hot summer like 2018, the heat only lasts for a few weeks at a time, before have a cooler interlude which lasts for several days at a time.

2019 and 2020, had more cooler or average summer days, with just brief hot spikes. 

The long and short of it is, the hot weather and humid conditions never last that long. The damp and cool eventually wins out, which is why I tend to enjoy the heat when it does arrive. 

Not moaning about it being hot or uncomfortable just the fact I don’t like the long evenings, I suffer from depression and have to take medication, and I find myself more down through the longer days.  I know it’s strange, but  it is form of reverse SAD.

so roll on September!

• Like 1

Posted

My first time this year I've seen the sun shining at half 5 in the morning this morning. Don't even get dark for that long during the nights now

Posted

Not feeling the light at present, mainly because it's been so dull! Looks like we may be able to make the most of optimum light now.. at long last, look forward to those twilights.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Not feeling the light at present, mainly because it's been so dull! Looks like we may be able to make the most of optimum light now.. at long last, look forward to those twilights.

This is something we’ve been missing so far. While April was nice and sunny, but cold, it was still nice to see some light sunny evenings. 

That being said, to fully appreciate the long sunny evenings towards nearly 10pm or later, it needs to be May and June.  We lost most of May this year, and the last few days won’t make up for how bad it’s been, but June can balance things out, if we get a few weeks of settled dry sunny warm weather. 

Let’s make the best of it just in case summer 2021 doesn’t deliver lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

A sobering thought, today marks the first day in which we bottom out so to speak sunrise wise. We have to wait until 22 June before the same thing occurs sunset wise..

Thankfully compared to May we have been able to enjoy the maximum levels of light that this time of year brings.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 12/06/2021 at 03:59, damianslaw said:

A sobering thought, today marks the first day in which we bottom out so to speak sunrise wise. We have to wait until 22 June before the same thing occurs sunset wise..

Thankfully compared to May we have been able to enjoy the maximum levels of light that this time of year brings.

here is a sobering thought..i have started thinking about moving back to the UK because i dont know if i can face another winter of endless dark mornings here in Edmonton..because of its location in my time zone and latitude..its stays dark up to 8am from October to April and up to 9am from November to Mid February ..it never truly bothered me that much until the last 2 winters..when i have really struggled particularly in Dec and Jan

Posted
7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

here is a sobering thought..i have started thinking about moving back to the UK because i dont know if i can face another winter of endless dark mornings here in Edmonton..because of its location in my time zone and latitude..its stays dark up to 8am from October to April and up to 9am from November to Mid February ..it never truly bothered me that much until the last 2 winters..when i have really struggled particularly in Dec and Jan

How does it compare sunset wise... suspect may stay lighter in evenings longer than here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

How does it compare sunset wise... suspect may stay lighter in evenings longer than here.

Basically the same lattitude as London (53 vs 51N).

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

sunset is about an hour later than the UK..dark afternoons never bothered me in the UK..its just the dark mornings..i would happily trade that 1 extra of darkness in the late afternoon to gain one hour of light in the morning 

10 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Basically the same lattitude as London (53 vs 51N).

Same latitude as Manchester ..its further west in the my time zone compared to London so that adds almost an hour to sunrise and sunset times

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
15 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

sunset is about an hour later than the UK..dark afternoons never bothered me in the UK..its just the dark mornings..i would happily trade that 1 extra of darkness in the late afternoon to gain one hour of light in the morning 

Same latitude as Manchester ..its further west in the my time zone compared to London so that adds almost an hour to sunrise and sunset times

But don't you get better summers?

I remember when I lived in Toronto, the weather was better in the summer, plus we had guaranteed snow every winter. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Lingering twilight is nearing its peak, camera looking northwards

It's at its peak, come 22nd nights start drawing in, ever so slightly. Last few evenings have been very light, still see very well at 11pm

Posted
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

But don't you get better summers?

I remember when I lived in Toronto, the weather was better in the summer, plus we had guaranteed snow every winter. 

better summers in regard to sunshine, humidity and storms..however summer doesn't really get going until about now mid June and then Autumn kicks in from Mid August onwards ..so its all too short

having lived here for the best part of 10 years..i just don't care about snow..it generates the same level of interest and loathing as rain does in the UK

Posted

Whoop, whoop longest day tomorrow! Hallelujah we are about to turn the corner!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
30 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

Whoop, whoop longest day tomorrow! Hallelujah we are about to turn the corner!

I guess you must be one that likes it dark at 08.00 and 16.00  but really you cannot appreciate the darkness of midwinter without midsummer.I must be a rarity as i like both!