Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Only 6 more minutes to lose in the evenings now and two more weeks until the darkest evening.

It is still going to feel dark for ages but I have to give myself milestones to look forward to.

• Like 4

Posted

Earliest Sunset is on the early side this year 15:38 on the 11th here, so less than two weeks away.
It stays the same for six days after that mind and barely noticeable subtle change until about Christmas.
It is rather bizarre the mornings continue to get darker until New Year though.
By 12th night things start to slowly accelerate towards spring and through February things really motor away.

Posted
6 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Earliest Sunset is on the early side this year 15:38 on the 11th here, so less than two weeks away.
It stays the same for six days after that mind and barely noticeable subtle change until about Christmas.
It is rather bizarre the mornings continue to get darker until New Year though.
By 12th night things start to slowly accelerate towards spring and through February things really motor away.

On the positive 3 weeks to go and we see evenings getting lighter , on the negative 6 weeks before mornings start to turn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 28/11/2020 at 14:51, damianslaw said:

On the positive 3 weeks to go and we see evenings getting lighter , on the negative 6 weeks before mornings start to turn.

yep that's the real depressing stat ..i don't really care about evenings being dark..but i loathe dark mornings

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Firmly in the 'dark days before Christmas' as I call them. Those who don't like early sunsets, will rejoice in the fact we bottom out in 3 days time, at least in terms of loss of daylight in the evenings. From 12th we see no further drops in sunset times, and come the 21st we see increasing light. Something to be positive about at least.

In the very immediate, with lots of cloud forecast oh dear some very dark sunless days ahead with early dusks, barely any natural light. 

Posted

Even though I prefer the longer days, the increase in daylight after the 21st of December won’t make any difference. It doesn’t start to feel noticeable until late February or early March, and even then, the mornings and evenings are still darkish. March for me is the September equivalent, where you really start to see the real change in season taking place, from the darker/lighter months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
On 10/12/2020 at 18:37, Sunny76 said:

Even though I prefer the longer days, the increase in daylight after the 21st of December won’t make any difference. It doesn’t start to feel noticeable until late February or early March, and even then, the mornings and evenings are still darkish. March for me is the September equivalent, where you really start to see the real change in season taking place, from the darker/lighter months.

I agree - but at least we will have turned the corner into better days (hopefully!).  I always think mid-February is when I really start to notice the extra daylight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 11/12/2020 at 09:03, Azazel said:

Only a few weeks until I start keeping an eye out for the first signs of spring!

One of the dafs in our garden is already a foot tall!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
4 hours ago, sarahng said:

I agree - but at least we will have turned the corner into better days (hopefully!).  I always think mid-February is when I really start to notice the extra daylight.

Mid February before you notice a change? If you work outdoors and take any notice you will find you will have 5 mins extra in an evening by xmas day and 10 mins by the end of the month,that is a noticeable difference to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 11/12/2020 at 09:03, Azazel said:

Only a few weeks until I start keeping an eye out for the first signs of spring!

Can we have a bit of actual winter first?!

• Like 2

Posted

Turning the corner in terms of sunset time here today 

Takes ages until it starts to become noticeable and the mornings continue to get darker until the end of December but it's a start. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Get in! It's only one minute but it's baby steps at least...

Bring on Spring and Summer!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
17 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Get in! It's only one minute but it's baby steps at least...

Bring on Spring and Summer!!

1 minute can change a Life. 

Well 2 if your on BGT. 

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Nice to have reached the worst part of the year for daylight, as although it's bleak right now, the only way is up - for the next 6 months at least anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

We made it!

My mood will gradually start to lift from now on..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A sad sad day.....the long trip back to early mornings waking up to blazing sunshine is on..not good☹️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
48 minutes ago, markyo said:

A sad sad day.....the long trip back to early mornings waking up to blazing sunshine is on..not good☹️

Oh I love those gorgeous early sunny mornings, when the birds are singing and there is a wonderful smell on the air - of summer!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, sarahng said:

Oh I love those gorgeous early sunny mornings, when the birds are singing and there is a wonderful smell on the air - of summer!  

Not at 4am!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Despite the sun still setting just before 4pm, the clear skies of recent days is helping it feel more akin to mid January in terms of light levels, we are seeing quite late dusks for the time of year, indeed right now it is still fairly light. Not going dark properly until close to 5pm. A false sense of thinking we are on a rapid rise to increased light, any cloudy overcast skies in coming days will put pay to that, but overall not expecting many, so yes a major bonus. The first week in January is very miserable generally, so the extra light is most welcome. I remember it feeling like this in winter 09/10 many bright skies and moonlit evenings.