Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I think it really comes down to personal circumstance and schedule hence emphasis on the word 'I' here...

If we stayed BST year round, I wouldn't be too happy as in winter I wouldn't see any light at all in the morning and still not see any going home; at least now I see the sunrise on the way to work in December. 

Equally however I wouldn't be too happy if we stayed GMT year round as in summer our evenings wouldn't be as long and birds will start singing at 2:30 in the morning (plus at 3:30 sunrise is a massive waste of daylight)

Basically, I don't want it to change! Yes we have to mess about with clocks and 'clock-lag' twice a year but I feel DST really does help us make the most of daylight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I hadn't realised clocks were going back this weekend, as it's very early this year - presumably because it can't happen in November, albeit it would've been only a couple of hours into November!

I guess working from home will make the change a little more tolerable this year. There's nothing worse than that first post-BST afternoon back in the office when darkness descends before 5pm... yuck!

Edited by Lance M

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I hadn't realised clocks were going back this weekend, as it's very early this year - presumably because it can't happen in November, albeit it would've been only a couple of hours into November!

I guess working from home will make the change a little more tolerable this year. There's nothing worse than that first post-BST afternoon back in the office when darkness descends before 5pm... yuck!

Going to have to make the most of lunchtime periods those working at home, otherwise many people wont get out in fresh air at any stage, its getting outside no matter how light or not which will be essential given current situation.

• Like 2

Posted

Love when the clocks go back. I know some of you hate the dark evenings, but for me it brings in the best time of the year.

I work nights so, the drive to work in the dark evening, with cold mists hanging in the air. Leaving work in the early hours during a cold frosty morning. It's magical for me. Wouldn't change it for the world.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 hours ago, Wynter said:

Love when the clocks go back. I know some of you hate the dark evenings, but for me it brings in the best time of the year.

I work nights so, the drive to work in the dark evening, with cold mists hanging in the air. Leaving work in the early hours during a cold frosty morning. It's magical for me. Wouldn't change it for the world.

prefer putting them forward

Posted
55 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

prefer putting them forward

Nah, miss the extra hour sleep! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

And that's it. Back to GMT and at 620am, the sky is starting to get light in the East. 

Weirdly it's also the 1st time I've got up and cracked and put the heating on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

So we’ve arrived in true autumn and winter now. Dark at 5 and before until well into the new year now. Enjoy your darkness winter lovers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Only 8 and a half weeks to the Shortest Day!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So much nicer going to work in the light this morning, and the extra hour of sleep too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Best time of the year now, that run in to the shortest day. Love the changing light levels. 

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely dusk sound of the Blackbird calling is back, an evocative sound telling you we are into the latter stages of the year now. Indeed it's been a pleasant afternoon so light levels have lingered a bit longer.. going into dusky light now. Cloudier overcast late afternoons would gave it much darker now, so not quite the sudden abrupt change that can happen some years. There will be early dusks next week given overcast skies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

clocks dont back here for another week..still dark at 8.15am looking forward to some extra light in the mornings for a brief 2-3 weeks from next sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Glad Im WFH at the moment, the clocks going back always coincides with more accidents on the roads after work finishes in the evenings.

Would much prefer BST during winter and DST during the summer, early sun rise in summer is a complete waste of daylight, I conceed in the winter the shear lack of actual daylight around the shortest day makes little difference to using GMT or BST.

Posted

Not enjoying these sudden shifts into nightfall around 5pm. the overcast skies are not helping, that switch to an early winter state has set in, despite it being only late October.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Sunset here today is 16:05 - meaning we have 19 minutes left to lose until the earliest sunsets of 15:46 between the 10th-14th December.

Mornings continue to darken rapidly though. 7:22am sunrise today, which will slide down to 8:08am by Xmas day. The shortest day overall is of course the 21st December, despite the latest sunrise/earliest sunset not being on the same day!

Posted

Preety much nearing absolute low light levels in the evening at least, on drab cloudy overcast days such as today, and many recently, it is now fully dark by half 4, going dark at 4pm. In a months time the evenings start to draw out. Still a good 4 weeks to go yet, and on very wet afternoons it goes dark by 3.30pm. On generally wet or overcast days it never really gets light now - it makes for exceptionally long days if you want a bit of brightness.. I can understand why people are already to turning on there christmas lights to bring some much needed light, especially under current circumstances - it feels like a living hibernation.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Having worked last Saturday when it threw it down all darn day, it was the most depressing dark day I can remember for years. Sunday wasnt much better with the squals.

Now today it's raining again, and living in a post WW2 rebuilt grey concrete City Centre it is just depressing. 

Posted
10 hours ago, philglossop said:

Having worked last Saturday when it threw it down all darn day, it was the most depressing dark day I can remember for years. Sunday wasnt much better with the squals.

Now today it's raining again, and living in a post WW2 rebuilt grey concrete City Centre it is just depressing. 

i worked in Plymouth for 3 years 1995-98 and have to agree esp in winter to be a depressing place ..fortunately i got to home each day back to Exeter..having said that the most depressing place i have been to is Airdrie in Scotland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Nights and evenings will start to get lighter in 4 weeks. Thank the lord. Absolutely hate these dark evenings.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Nights and evenings will start to get lighter in 4 weeks. Thank the lord. Absolutely hate these dark evenings.

You're nae the only one, Zak -- I hate it! Oh, I wish it could could be summer, every dayyyy! :santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Just another 11 minutes to lose in the afternoon for us, but a whole 35 in the morning!  22 days to go to the Shortest Day!

• Like 1

Posted
On 22/11/2020 at 02:31, sarahng said:

Just another 11 minutes to lose in the afternoon for us, but a whole 35 in the morning!  22 days to go to the Shortest Day!

roll on spring and summer

• Like 1