Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Yes, the dark mornings in particular are just dire!  I hate getting up in the dark.  On the other hand, I just love spring/summer mornings when it gets light early and all the birds are singing and happy.  I never pull my curtains either so I get maximum light in my bedroom.  The only way I find to cope is a countdown to the shortest day, and after that it gets better every single day!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thankfully the clocks go back next week to make mornings a little less gloomy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, with the clocks going back, an increase in the number of fatal car-accidents will invariably follow...as the data quite clearly show!

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

And, with the clocks going back, an increase in the number of fatal car-accidents will invariably follow...as the data quite clearly show!

Is that the data from the 1960s?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Is that the data from the 1960s?

What other data do we have? But, anywho, I can't see anything that can possibly mean that that data does not still apply... After all, have road-vehicles become safer in the morning, but not in the evening, or vice versa? What can have changed (other than light levels) at one end of the day, but not at the other?

Edited by General Cluster

Posted
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

What other data do we have? But, anywho, I can't see anything that can possibly mean that that data does not still apply... After all, have road-vehicles become safer in the morning, but not in the evening, or vice versa? What can have changed (other than light levels) at one end of the day, but not at the other?

The world is a very different place to 60 years ago. We cannot base policy decisions on data collected before the majority of people were even born!

I'd be all for a new study, but to use data when just a fraction of the cars were on the road compared to now would be silly.

Not only that, but working habits have changed, more kids get lifts to school, people commute further, the types of roads have changed (we have more motorways now for example), before you even get to the massive increase in traffic in the last 60 years.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

The world is a very different place to 60 years ago. We cannot base policy decisions on data collected before the majority of people were even born!

I'd be all for a new study, but to use data when just a fraction of the cars were on the road compared to now would be silly.

True... But one question I'd like asked, is whether or not drivers' attention is impaired when the ambient light-level is constantly falling... as it clearly is during winter evenings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It was weird to go down into Cornwall for football yesterday and coming back having the car lights on at 1730. 

But it's still my favourite time of year! 

Posted

This Sunday will see it getting dark after 6pm, next Sunday if the models verify as currently shown (delivering wet cloudy weather), will see it getting dark before 5pm.. a quite miserable prospect. Hope everyone makes the most of today.

• Thanks 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

This Sunday will see it getting dark after 6pm, next Sunday if the models verify as currently shown (delivering wet cloudy weather), will see it getting dark before 5pm.. a quite miserable prospect. Hope everyone makes the most of today.

I am working day shifts (7.30 start) both this weekend and next. Actually looking forward to next weekend so I'm getting up when it's light! Oh and the extra hour in bed on Sunday morning too haha.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted

Being further west than most of the UK and Europe your mornings are going to be hideously dark for weeks though.
UK did a trial staying on BST in the late 60s and most people hated it, you still don't have much daylight in the evening like even now it's nearly dark by 6pm
What I would prefer is an earlier start to BST like first weekend in March rather than the last.
It makes no sense waiting so long even from a mathematical standpoint - we go to GMTabout a month after equinox so why not change back a month before at Spring.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 hours ago, Donegal said:

This will be the last time I put the clock back and I'm happy about that. An extra hour of brightness in the evening will be great. Kids can play outside for a bit when they get home instead of total darkness when they get back home. Living close to NI it will be interesting having two different time zones on the island. 

I'm not happy about it. Anyway winter time is the real time after all. The mornings in December from next year for example will be dark till after 9am. For the sake of an extra hours brightness who will be out and about in the evenings in the middle of winter anyway?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This seems to be a circular argument. However, people need to realise that if we stayed on BST, mornings from about Stoke on Trent N would not get light until 9am. I suggest that in reality this would be more unpalatable to people.

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

This seems to be a circular argument. However, people need to realise that if we stayed on BST, mornings from about Stoke on Trent N would not get light until 9am. I suggest that in reality this would be more unpalatable to people.

From a safety perspective it is better we see light sooner rather than later in the mornings, freezing fog, ice and snow would linger longer, colder mornings than evenings as well.

Posted

I wouldn't mind an extra hour of darkness in the morning - I'm in the office anyway so it's not like I can appreciate morning light, but it is nice to have a bit of light when I get home to walk the dog or whatever.

A fair compromise for me would be as another poster above said - put the clocks back forwards earlier in the year from like late February or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
17 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I wouldn't mind an extra hour of darkness in the morning - I'm in the office anyway so it's not like I can appreciate morning light, but it is nice to have a bit of light when I get home to walk the dog or whatever.

A fair compromise for me would be as another poster above said - put the clocks back forwards earlier in the year from like late February or something.

It's been discussed to death this one 

We've seen all sorts of proposals, unfortunately they all have good and bad points. Moving the clocks forward in early March would make the mornings very dark again for another month. It'll just end up staying the same. 

Posted

I didn't realise the EU had actually voted to bin the clock change.

Cork won't see the sun rise in mid December until 9.40am as a result. Wow.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Thing is though, most people don't get home from work until 6ish. Even with an extra hour of daylight in the evening it'll still be dark by that point.

We're too far north for any amount of clock changing to satisfy everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes indeed but imagine still sunbathing after 10pm in June..happy days. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

So next spring is the last clock change in the EU, but I understand it is up to members to choose their preferred time. Not sure we have confirmed which we stay in, GMT or GMT+1. I expect we will change in the Spring to GMT+1 and leave it there. But it will cause issues if the UK doesn't change, so maybe we will get an exemption when it come to it. Ah the politicians. My preference is to change to GMT+1 the first weekend of March and get agreement with the UK to do so, not the last weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, emmett garland said:

I tend to go to bed around that time when I'm on day shift. I don't want it light beyond 10pm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Get to see the New Year in twice if you live close to the border.

Assuming Boris hasn't closed it by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

see im the opposite i do my walking in the mornings so would rather have extra light then than the evenings..nothing worse than walking in the cold and the dark

Posted
2 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Get to see the New Year in twice if you live close to the border.

Assuming Boris hasn't closed it by then.

We'd need an open pub too, oh the humanity

Posted
On 18/10/2020 at 17:25, 4wd said:

It makes no sense waiting so long even from a mathematical standpoint - we go to GMTabout a month after equinox so why not change back a month before at Spring.

I've never understood that one either. Even less logical than changing them in the first place!