Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes its really grim now. The darkness is already making me feel depressed.

summer light well and truly gone now

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Shouldn’t have been too bad this year, about 80% of days this summer were absolute garbage!

Yes they were, although it was a poor summer, there were still some nice sunny days to be had in early and late June, and the first two weeks in August. 

The nicest part of the year for weather in 2020 was definitely the April and May period. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think he’s an alien.

No, just different to you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

With .@markyo on this one, all of a sudden my mood has lifted, dark by 7, and it is far easier to sleep in this heat.  As far as I’m concerned it is absolutely blissful.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

tis cloudy and dull this morning..which means it is still pitch black at 7.40am  and its still September 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Certainly entered the darker half of the year now. This ending in March. I don't mind the darker light levels. Better than the early June sun waking you up and the birds chirping like mad at 4am.

• Like 2

Posted

Already back to that dark and depressing feeling, like someone above mentioned, it’s now at the same level of darkness that we had at the end of March. The downside is, we are moving in the wrong direction.

I will fully adjust by the time we reach November, as by then it’s just a case of having to accept the autumn/ winter season is with us for another 4 or so months. 

Miss those long summer days already. I have fond memories of May and early June and that heatwave during early August. Already seems a long time ago, as we are now back to wind and rainy conditions. 

Not a fan.

Posted

Its a travesty that this country still has BST, I have friends in Northern Spain who enjoy longer summer days than us despite being so much further south in latitude to us, I would

change this in heartbeat if I could, increase day length so more leisure & sport can be played after school  - thus less energy used lighting up our homes at 6pm (think about the waste of daylight around 4am when we're asleep in the summer).

If the Scottish farmers wish to keep BST then that would be for Holyrood to decide. I would argue it's more dangerous driving home in the dark in wet weather after a long tiring day at work (not that that is happening for many of us right now) than at 7.30am.

Rant over...

Posted
21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Its a travesty that this country still has BST, I have friends in Northern Spain who enjoy longer summer days than us despite being so much further south in latitude to us, I would

change this in heartbeat if I could, increase day length so more leisure & sport can be played after school  - thus less energy used lighting up our homes at 6pm (think about the waste of daylight around 4am when we're asleep in the summer).

If the Scottish farmers wish to keep BST then that would be for Holyrood to decide. I would argue it's more dangerous driving home in the dark in wet weather after a long tiring day at work (not that that is happening for many of us right now) than at 7.30am.

Rant over...

You're thinking of GMT surely? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Already back to that dark and depressing feeling, like someone above mentioned, it’s now at the same level of darkness that we had at the end of March. The downside is, we are moving in the wrong direction.

I will fully adjust by the time we reach November, as by then it’s just a case of having to accept the autumn/ winter season is with us for another 4 or so months. 

Miss those long summer days already. I have fond memories of May and early June and that heatwave during early August. Already seems a long time ago, as we are now back to wind and rainy conditions. 

Not a fan.

Don't lose all hope!  20C+ days can still occur this month (and even, exceptionally, into November)!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Don't lose all hope!  20C+ days can still occur this month (and even, exceptionally, into November)!

The temp doesn’t make much difference when it’s pitch black at 5pm or still dark at 6am.

You can still achieve some nice warm days, but by October it’s not the same as high summer.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

The temp doesn’t make much difference when it’s pitch black at 5pm or still dark at 6am.

You can still achieve some nice warm days, but by October it’s not the same as high summer.

That is true.  Sunny and dry weather makes it more bearable than lashing rain for days on end however.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

That is true.  Sunny and dry weather makes it more bearable than lashing rain for days on end however.

I’m with you on that, but it’s highly unlikely, even in a mild winter that we will see days with sunshine and 15-19c. More like 12-14c with cloud.

Posted

I do miss living in Portugal where Christmas Day would be just like the weather you described - high teens and sunshine.  It's an usual feeling being on the beach during Christmas.  

Posted
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Rant over...

Each to their own.

Be boring if it was constant. Change makes it different.

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I do miss living in Portugal where Christmas Day would be just like the weather you described - high teens and sunshine.  It's an usual feeling being on the beach during Christmas.  

One Christmas was like that here in the uk. Christmas Day 1987 was widely sunny and warmish. Not just mild, but it felt very springlike in the sunshine that year. 

Even though we’ve had mild Christmases before and since, 1987 sticks in my mind for some reason. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Why the aggressive comment?  What is your problem?  I'm quite happy living in Britain thanks.  

He’s being a petulant child. Just ignore him. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

He’s being a petulant child. Just ignore him. 

Nope, not aggressive, I apologize if you all thought that. Just a comment.

Edited by Bogman

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

One Christmas was like that here in the uk. Christmas Day 1987 was widely sunny and warmish. Not just mild, but it felt very springlike in the sunshine that year. 

Even though we’ve had mild Christmases before and since, 1987 sticks in my mind for some reason. 

Christmas Day 1988 was very mild, too, about 13C.  I remember as one of presents was a digital thermometer that year!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I do find that if you have stormy weather with rain lashing on the windows it somehow lifts the mood a bit.. probably a bit of adrenalin kicking in as the weather gets that bit more exciting.  Same with snow..

Appreciate not everyone likes this kind of weather though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I do find that if you have stormy weather with rain lashing on the windows it somehow lifts the mood a bit.. probably a bit of adrenalin kicking in as the weather gets that bit more exciting.  Same with snow..

Appreciate not everyone likes this kind of weather though.

certainly do like different weather, depresses the mood a bit more like!, runs like the EC and GFS of today lifts the mood a bit, with perhaps 'light at the end of the tunnel'

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

Christmas Day 1988 was very mild, too, about 13C.  I remember as one of presents was a digital thermometer that year!

Yes it was, but that was cloudy mild.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The end of the twice yearly clock change is almost here for the EU for those switching to permanent summer time it will happen at the end of March with those opting for permanent standard time switching next October

It's going to be interesting to see what the UK does as Ireland will be required under EU law to set one time zone potentially taking them out of sync with Northern Ireland

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The end of the twice yearly clock change is almost here for the EU for those switching to permanent summer time it will happen at the end of March with those opting for permanent standard time switching next October

It's going to be interesting to see what the UK does as Ireland will be required under EU law to set one time zone potentially taking them out of sync with Northern Ireland

It will have no impact for us. The decision of Ireland to comply with an EU directive is their own, Northern Ireland is part of the UK.