Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Its interesting as last night I really noticed how dark it was by 2015hrs. The nights are really drawing in and morning generally the same.

Anyone else seeing trees very much darker earlier this year? Theres a line of plane trees on the road into Plymouth City Centre- normally they do go about the end of September but this year its going to be much earlier- they are going over already. Horse chestnuts are rusting as well but those plain trees are very very noticeable 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Its interesting as last night I really noticed how dark it was by 2015hrs. The nights are really drawing in and morning generally the same.

Anyone else seeing trees very much darker earlier this year? Theres a line of plane trees on the road into Plymouth City Centre- normally they do go about the end of September but this year its going to be much earlier- they are going over already. Horse chestnuts are rusting as well but those plain trees are very very noticeable 

I noticed yesterday while driving back from Warwick how the trees seem further ahead this year than normal. Perhaps the drought stress of the spring had something to do with it?

• Like 2

Posted

It feels more like autumn now, compared to 2-3 weeks ago, where it the darker evenings were becoming noticeable, but now its definitely feeling less summery. Last weekend was the first indication of that.

I'm not saying we won't get more warm weather, but summer in the main has passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 01/09/2020 at 09:55, philglossop said:

There have been acorns all over the ground around here for weeks now, and certain trees are indeed looking brown. No wonder nature seems to think it's already October after the spring we had!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I noticed the acorns a few weeks ago when I was under attack from falling acorns while walking through Southampton common. More locally there's been a fair few leaves on the ground for at least the last couple of weeks here since the windy weather we had along with other debris from trees that's typically seen later in autumn. I also noticed today that the tree outside my window is beginning to look brown.

As for the daylight hours, with the cloudcover it was dark just after 8pm this evening. 

Posted

Well, start of the football season and with sunrise at 0641 and sunset 1946 today, it's really getting noticeable. Strange to think Summer has been and gone this year. 

Horse chestnuts rust clear and some leaves going meaning my main road will turn into a slush brown colour soon. 

Posted

Tonight its 1930 sunset. Its galloping now loosing 3 mins 44 secs per day here. Another 10 days and sunrise will be past 7am.

• Like 4

Posted

Really noticed how low the sun was all day today, it went behind shade a few times when back in June our garden was in the sun pretty much all day.

The UV levels were also noticeably lower. 

• Like 2

Posted

Technically sun sets here about 7:24pm but in realty it goes behind the hill by 6pm so day feels done by 7pm
Despite strong wind and sunny afternoon dew barely dried off in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Summer18 said:

Really noticed how low the sun was all day today, it went behind shade a few times when back in June our garden was in the sun pretty much all day.

The UV levels were also noticeably lower. 

Yep. 25c on June 21st would feel really quite intense under the direct sun but in September, not so much.

It's why I prefer cold and snow in December rather than Feb-Mar

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It's supposed to the Equinox (equal night) tomorrow - but not where I live it seems

image.thumb.png.bfd43fec7acc2674ecaadc7e2144ec00.png

It is, but due to atmospheric refraction the day and night won't be 12 hours each for a few days yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

With the cloudy skies this evening was the first time I noticed it being quite dark at 7pm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

We're at the depressing point for me now. Need my bike lights on the way in to work just before 7am, dark before 7pm so no evening golf that I've been enjoying, and that's how it'll stay for the next 5-6 months.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

We're at the depressing point for me now. Need my bike lights on the way in to work just before 7am, dark before 7pm so no evening golf that I've been enjoying, and that's how it'll stay for the next 5-6 months.

Yes its really grim now. The darkness is already making me feel depressed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Finding the darker mornings and evenings far more relaxing and i'm sleeping better already, i certainly feel a lot more active as well during the day, no where near as tired as in the Summer months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Finding the darker mornings and evenings far more relaxing and i'm sleeping better already, i certainly feel a lot more active as well during the day, no where near as tired as in the Summer months.

Shouldn’t have been too bad this year, about 80% of days this summer were absolute garbage!

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

You are a vampire M  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
45 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

You are a vampire M  

But Vampires aren't active during the day!.... I must be a sleepy one then who enjoys a good nights kip!

• Like 1