Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Approaching the ideal day lengths now. I love the descent into Autumn.

• Like 7

Posted

Waking up at 5am now, and it's still dark. I'm not looking forward to the coming darkness.

I don't mind autumn, but the long 12 hour shifts I do, really affect me more in the darker months.

Posted

Yes beginning to notice the light levels dropping now especially on overcast evenings. Lights switched on 8.30pm and curtains drawn by 9pm. The rate of daily loss now reaching its max at 2 mins dawn and dusk. Its through September though you really start to notice it, we have therefore about a month left of useable light in evenings for doing stuff, before it's dark by half 7.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes beginning to notice the light levels dropping now especially on overcast evenings. Lights switched on 8.30pm and curtains drawn by 9pm. The rate of daily loss now reaching its max at 2 mins dawn and dusk. Its through September though you really start to notice it, we have therefore about a month left of useable light in evenings for doing stuff, before it's dark by half 7.

I close the blinds now by 9, as I’m living in denial and still trying to pretend we can enjoy those long evenings between May and July, but the darkness is arriving much faster now.

As we go through September, especially the second half, I’ll be leaving for work in the dark, that’s the next stage.

Then by October I’ll be arriving at work in the dark. Eurgh! Really? How did this come round so quickly again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I close the blinds now by 9, as I’m living in denial and still trying to pretend we can enjoy those long evenings between May and July, but the darkness is arriving much faster now.

As we go through September, especially the second half, I’ll be leaving for work in the dark, that’s the next stage.

Then by October I’ll be arriving at work in the dark. Eurgh! Really? How did this come round so quickly again

Oh I hate the darkness.  In the winter I don't mind the dark evenings so much when it's frosty and you can get a good fire going, but the mornings are absolutely horrible.  I hate waking up in the dark, getting dressed in the dark, eating breakfast in the dark and going out in the dark!  I love spring and summer when it gets light at 4.30 and the birds are singing with happiness.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, sarahng said:

Oh I hate the darkness.  In the winter I don't mind the dark evenings so much when it's frosty and you can get a good fire going, but the mornings are absolutely horrible.  I hate waking up in the dark, getting dressed in the dark, eating breakfast in the dark and going out in the dark!  I love spring and summer when it gets light at 4.30 and the birds are singing with happiness.

my thoughts exactly i don't mind the dark evenings..its the dark mornings that really grate on you..day after day month after month..getting up in the dark..going to work in the dark..imagine they stopped putting the clocks back it would be darker in the mornings for much longer

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

my thoughts exactly i don't mind the dark evenings..its the dark mornings that really grate on you..day after day month after month..getting up in the dark..going to work in the dark..imagine they stopped putting the clocks back it would be darker in the mornings for much longer

4 hours ago, sarahng said:

I would agree with both of you. 

The mornings are much worse when its dark, whereas the darker evenings are easier to adjust to. Mind you, I'm still not a fan, but fully adjust once we hit mid November.

Its the gradual darkness during October, and the clock change when everything is plunged into full darkness, and it feels like a shock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

8.30 and pretty much dark now, The dark evenings are getting earlier  at a pace now! And I for one can start to feel my mood lifting knowing that Autumn is around the corner!

• Like 4

Posted
On 19/08/2020 at 17:12, Sunny76 said:

The mornings are much worse when its dark, whereas the darker evenings are easier to adjust to. Mind you, I'm still not a fan, but fully adjust once we hit mid November.

Its the gradual darkness during October, and the clock change when everything is plunged into full darkness, and it feels like a shock.

Without the clock change, the mornings would be even worse going into winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
On 19/08/2020 at 17:12, Sunny76 said:

Yet when we put the clocks back the mornings are lighter again for a good while 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
13 hours ago, Nick L said:

Without the clock change, the mornings would be even worse going into winter. 

Yep. If the clocks didn't go back the solstice here would see it not getting fully light til almost 9am.

• Like 1

Posted

Into my final hours of a night shift, and it's still completely dark at 4:45am. 2 months ago the sun would have been up. I love how quickly things change at our latitude.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Noticeable how much the position where the sun sets changes over a week at this time of the year 

AzQW9JA.pngFnbygs2.pngztcfhBq.png

Yes I have a barometer, the fells of south central Lakeland. At the summer solstice it sets inbetween High Raise and Ullscarf, by autumn equinox roughly Coniston Old Man, thereafter it swings south to the southern reaches near Morecambe Bay. Love it around mid Seot when I have an aligned angle direct from window of it setting between Swirl How and Brim Fell.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

Yet when we put the clocks back the mornings are lighter again for a good while 

Still pitch black at 5am, and when I head to work before 6, so doesn’t make much difference. Plus the evenings are dark by 5pm. I really loathe that time of year, knowing it will be dark until the end of February. 

Posted

Pangs of Autumn this evening, rather drab dank conditions, and lights all switched by half 8 and dark by 9. The nights are beginning to draw in... definate shift in the feel of things and a far cry from those long summer nights in June. Always think we should move our summer school holidays forward at least a couple of weeks, so they end mid August, make the most of the extra light, this would justify perhaps a 2 week break mid-late October to break things up. Could reduce the summer holidays to 5 weeks..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

With this unseasonable weather really starting to notice the nights drawing in etc x im enjoying the cooler temps.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

Just one month from today and it will be pitch black in my location by 20:30. The joyful season is nearly upon us! :yahoo:

Really? Mild and dull, wet and windy. How exciting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Really? Mild and dull, wet and windy. How exciting!

This summer down here has been mild and dull or simply too hot!

The most useable weather was in April and May which were spot on.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

But, the coming autumn and winter will probably be even more boring, if it ends up being mild, cloudy with rain. There’s nothing to look forward to, unless we have some clear cold frosty days.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

It was also cold and dull during the summer down here. I recorded days in mid teens or barely scraping 20c in London, especially during June and July. 

You’re right, the long sunny periods between April and very early June were the best. It just seems like such a long time ago. 

Posted

Now firmly into the part of the year when we lose most light evening on evening,  morning on morning 2 minutes both ends all the way to the clocks going back. However, on clear evenings in first half of September we still cling onto decent light levels until 7.30-8pm, just enough to make it usable, come the equinox, wave goodbye for another year.

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Now firmly into the part of the year when we lose most light evening on evening,  morning on morning 2 minutes both ends all the way to the clocks going back. However, on clear evenings in first half of September we still cling onto decent light levels until 7.30-8pm, just enough to make it usable, come the equinox, wave goodbye for another year.

Not for me. I don’t get back home until 7.45, so from this week on, the darker evenings and mornings are really starting to take hold.