Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

20 past 9 and full darkness - cloudy skies help, give it a month and it will be 20:00 - hallelujah!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

It's usually around now on overcast or wet evenings I start to notice light levels dropping. Today a case in point, a shield of cloud and by 9 pm a quick descent into dusk, dark by 9.30 pm.

Whilst we are experiencing significant warmth and our longest sustained spell of warm temperatures, no denying there is a change in feel as we move into late Summer. Reason I'm not a fan of August, despite often giving very warm weather especially first half, a warm spell now doesn't have the same feeling of one in late May - late July. Balmy light nights become a distant memory as we move through the month.

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

It's usually around now on overcast or wet evenings I start to notice light levels dropping. Today a case in point, a shield of cloud and by 9 pm a quick descent into dusk, dark by 9.30 pm.

Whilst we are experiencing significant warmth and our longest sustained spell of warm temperatures, no denying there is a change in feel as we move into late Summer. Reason I'm not a fan of August, despite often giving very warm weather especially first half, a warm spell now doesn't have the same feeling of one in late May - late July. Balmy light nights become a distant memory as we move through the month.

Yes you are right. The period from late May(24th onwards) until late July, has that peak summer feeling, especially if the evenings are clear and sunny. 

I noticed this back in May and June when evenings were long and sunny.

We are seeing the darkness creeping in around 8.40pm now, plus I’m getting up at 5am and switching the light on.

Despite the heat, the autumn chill and feel will be with us in about 3-5 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I dont enjoy the heat so welcome the change to cooler nights. September one of my favourite months. Light levels very noticeable on a evening now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I know it's getting towards autumn, as i'm now struggling to finish work and get 18 holes of golf in before it's too dark!

• Like 1

Posted

I have a love hate thing with September. Its good because the month as a whole, can still produce some nice warm days, with a much more fresher feel to things, similar to Late March to mid May.

The downsides for me are the lack of light, and knowing the journey towards winter is starting to gain traction, although the cold and darkness becomes more obvious into October. September does have that finality about things. People are still taking their summer holidays, if you don't have school commitments, but at the same time, talk about office christmas parties and the winter season creeps into coversations, it does make me feel depressed, as I hate the darker season. 

Regardless of what the weather is like on September 1st, that date signifies the barrier between summer and autumn.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

really noticing the darker morning here now..going to work at 6.30am had to turn the lights on downstairs

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

really noticing the darker morning here now..going to work at 6.30am had to turn the lights on downstairs

Yeah, Canada sees the darkness earlier. I remember while living in Toronto the May to July period, evenings usually started drawing in around 9pm or just later. It was never light beyond 10pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

8.15 and noticeably darker now a couple of weeks and it will be before 8! As Delboy would say Lovellllly Jubllllllliy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, Canada sees the darkness earlier. I remember while living in Toronto the May to July period, evenings usually started drawing in around 9pm or just later. It was never light beyond 10pm.

not in Edmonton tis much further north than Toronto so is often still light at 11pm around the solstice

Posted
36 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not in Edmonton tis much further north than Toronto so is often still light at 11pm around the solstice

Yes that makes sense. Toronto however, is the same latitude as Italy. 

Posted

It’s starting to become more noticeable now, even compared to a couple of weeks ago. Early August still has that peak summer feel.

Now we have reached the middle of August, the darkness is setting in around 8.30 in London, and its now starting to feel like late summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Definitely feels like more autumnal now xx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Really noticed it last night, thanks to it being so dull yesterday it was almost dark at 9pm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

That lovely Autumn feel is certainly about to make its presence felt, can't wait, by far the best time of the year light wise

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I just hope it’s not another boring mild winter. 

Latest ECM long ranger is almost going for a repeat of last year. Low polar heights, stronger Azores high, and +ve NAO. I'm not buying it. Can't be as bad again, surely!?

Posted
45 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Latest ECM long ranger is almost going for a repeat of last year. Low polar heights, stronger Azores high, and +ve NAO. I'm not buying it. Can't be as bad again, surely!?

Roll on March 2021 then. 

I hate the darkness.

Posted
12 hours ago, mb018538 said:

It'll be 8 years in January 2021 since we had more than 1cm of lying snow here. It most certainly can be this bad year after year. Hopefully not this time though.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, reef said:

It'll be 8 years in January 2021 since we had more than 1cm of lying snow here. It most certainly can be this bad year after year. Hopefully not this time though.

You didn’t get anything in 2018? Crazy most of east was buried you must have a terrific snow shield.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

You didn’t get anything in 2018? Crazy most of east was buried you must have a terrific snow shield.

Both easterlies were rubbish in this area. We just didn't get the showers, it was very disappointing.