Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 hours ago, Bobafet said:

Sounds amazing cheeky monkey!  May have to retire to Canda

i don't mind the dark evenings its just the mornings that i really struggle with..although im on the same latitude as Manchester because of my location in my time zone the morning sunrises are much later almost an hour later than Manchester..conversely sunsets are about an hour later also..so even though i spent most of my life living in the UK the differing times of sunrise and sunsets really does throw you even after 10 years

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I dont mind when its light at 6am and dark around 8pm thats ideal for me. I dont enjoy the super light mornings as they just wake me up.

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/07/2020 at 15:48, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't mind the dark evenings its just the mornings that i really struggle with..although im on the same latitude as Manchester because of my location in my time zone the morning sunrises are much later almost an hour later than Manchester..conversely sunsets are about an hour later also..so even though i spent most of my life living in the UK the differing times of sunrise and sunsets really does throw you even after 10 years

Yeah, I noticed sunsets were different in summer in Toronto. During the longest days, it would be dark by 9pm, which isn’t a massive difference. The darker mornings were noticeable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Starting to really notice the difference in the mornings now,i wake with the light at this time of year and i'm getting more sleep now! This will accelerate this month and through August, lovely

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Starting to really notice the difference in the mornings now,i wake with the light at this time of year and i'm getting more sleep now! This will accelerate this month and through August, lovely

No, not lovely lol.

From late August I’ll be getting up in the dark at 5am, which in my mind signals the first nail in the coffin for summer. Because of my long shifts, the darker mornings and evenings really affect me.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Because of my long shifts, the darker mornings and evenings really affect me.

Can understand some folk doing those patterns like yourself can hate the dark mornings but i love them, driving into work watching the sun crack the dark sky for me is the best part of the day. That would mean a very early start at this time of year!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Can understand some folk doing those patterns like yourself can hate the dark mornings but i love them, driving into work watching the sun crack the dark sky for me is the best part of the day. That would mean a very early start at this time of year!!

Yes it’s the 12 hour shifts. So, as a consequence, I notice the loss of daylight at both sides of the day much earlier than a 9 to 5er. My previous job, I probably wouldn’t notice it until mid September, which is to be expected, and the darker evenings by early October.

The 12 hour shifts also mean, it takes until mid March before we see the early daylight coming through and early April,  before we feel the benefits of longer days.

I’m only one year into this current job, but at some point I’ll be looking for a return to a 9-5, or maybe try and work from home. My current job doesn’t really facilitate that lol.

Posted
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it’s the 12 hour shifts. So, as a consequence, I notice the loss of daylight at both sides of the day much earlier than a 9 to 5er. My previous job, I probably wouldn’t notice it until mid September, which is to be expected, and the darker evenings by early October.

The 12 hour shifts also mean, it takes until mid March before we see the early daylight coming through and early April,  before we feel the benefits of longer days.

I’m only one year into this current job, but at some point I’ll be looking for a return to a 9-5, or maybe try and work from home. My current job doesn’t really facilitate that lol.

Hope you can get something more to your liking very soon before the daylight reduces even more. I know how much light levels can effect anybody, i feel it just the same just in reverse to you, you have my sympathies. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It's the mornings I notice this time of year starting to draw in as I'm normally up at 5am, so it's now obvious that I'm back to putting the kitchen light on to make my 1st coffee of the day. 

It's also now noticeable that the trees are now darker green, and also I've seen the 1st blackberries. 

Posted
2 hours ago, philglossop said:

It's the mornings I notice this time of year starting to draw in as I'm normally up at 5am, so it's now obvious that I'm back to putting the kitchen light on to make my 1st coffee of the day. 

It's also now noticeable that the trees are now darker green, and also I've seen the 1st blackberries. 

That’s possible due to how dull it’s been. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Tonight is the first night that I’ve actually noticed the nights getting longer again. 
... Mind you, the increasing darkness in a morning has been coming along for a while now. :oldsmile:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
19 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Tonight is the first night that I’ve actually noticed the nights getting longer again. 
... Mind you, the increasing darkness in a morning has been coming along for a while now. :oldsmile:

Yes noticed it as well - absolute bliss as far as I am concerned - 10 days time and sunset will be before 9 and the descent to Autumn is truly on the horizon! Heaven!

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

Yes noticed it as well - absolute bliss as far as I am concerned - 10 days time and sunset will be before 9 and the descent to Autumn is truly on the horizon! Heaven!

Only tend to feel very subtle shifts in light levels during late July, it's not normally until about the second week of August I start to notice it much more, indeed by then we start to see a marked loss day on day of light, 2 mins in the evenings. It marks the transition from high summer to late summer. Until then we've still just about 3 weeks of that high summer feeling, if only the weather will play ball.

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Only tend to feel very subtle shifts in light levels during late July, it's not normally until about the second week of August I start to notice it much more, indeed by then we start to see a marked loss day on day of light, 2 mins in the evenings. It marks the transition from high summer to late summer. Until then we've still just about 3 weeks of that high summer feeling, if only the weather will play ball.

I’m dreading it. Once we get to 15th of August, the evenings start to draw in from 8.30pm, and it’s still dark in the morning until 5.30.

I was getting up in the dark until late March, and now the morning darkness is going to start appearing once more.

The drawback of having to do a 12 hour day shift. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m dreading it. Once we get to 15th of August, the evenings start to draw in from 8.30pm, and it’s still dark in the morning until 5.30.

I was getting up in the dark until late March, and now the morning darkness is going to start appearing once more.

The drawback of having to do a 12 hour day shift. 

Indeed, after mid August the nights really start to draw in rapidly.

Posted
7 hours ago, Don said:

Indeed, after mid August the nights really start to draw in rapidly.

Still a few weeks to go before then, but we all know it’s gradually coming. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I just love how varied it is at our latitude. I enjoy seeing the days get longer in Jan/Feb, but I also enjoy the descent into Autumn through late August and early September. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 hours ago, Bobafet said:

Autumn has been on the horizon since June started this year. Dreadful cloudy and cool summer. 

• Like 1

Posted

Have been noticing the darker nights for a bit but very noticeable tonight with main street lamps coming on at dead on 10 (in a clear sky too)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Starting to notice its getting darker earlier.

Posted

Not really noticeable from a London point of view. It’s still light until 9.40 or slightly later.

The rapid change will happen in about 3 weeks time to losing light before 9pm.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It's really from around now - late July that I start to notice the the evenings getting shorter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
2 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Solstice: Sunrise 04:47

Sunset 21:28

Today: Sunrise 05:22

Sunset 21:01

Not many miles over the broad view of the UK yet here its.

05.15 sunrise with the sun setting at 20.50

Really start to notice the shorter eves in cloudy weather already.