Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers
168561-173778.jpg?itok=70oVenP_
WWW.PSYCHOLOGYTODAY.COM

While many of us are familiar with SAD, there are, in fact, people who get SAD in reverse.

It is horrible, just as most people would relish the long days, I on the other hand find it horrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
49 minutes ago, Bobafet said:
WWW.PSYCHOLOGYTODAY.COM

While many of us are familiar with SAD, there are, in fact, people who get SAD in reverse.

It is horrible, just as most people would relish the long days, I on the other hand find it horrible.

Interesting..when i was younger i used to love those dark mornings and dark evenings of winter..and wasn't fused bout light mornings and light evenings in summer..as i have got older i have come to detest the darkness of winter esp in the mornings..and have fallen in love with early morning light of summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

I was the other way used to love the long days of summer when I was younger, so don’t know why I detest summer so much now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
18 hours ago, Bobafet said:

I was the other way used to love the long days of summer when I was younger, so don’t know why I detest summer so much now?

Everyone has their own tastes

The only summer dislike for me is in very high summer when it’s light by 4am. I’m a terrible sleeper at the best of times, so if I wake up early (which happens a lot) and it’s light outside and sounding like the amazon rainforest with wildlife, I really struggle to get back to sleep. Small price to pay for the warmth and sunshine I guess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Everyone has their own tastes

The only summer dislike for me is in very high summer when it’s light by 4am. I’m a terrible sleeper at the best of times, so if I wake up early (which happens a lot) and it’s light outside and sounding like the amazon rainforest with wildlife, I really struggle to get back to sleep. Small price to pay for the warmth and sunshine I guess!

Have you considered blackout curtains if not already? We’ve got them on all our windows, hung on tracks so they’re closer to the wall and it really helps. I can usually sleep past noon without an alarm! Although the birds can’t really be helped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
20 hours ago, Bobafet said:
WWW.PSYCHOLOGYTODAY.COM

Likewise,i fully understand how you feel,i've suffered from reverse SAD for most of my life,i hate high summer, the 20th of June is the turning point physiologically though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Have you considered blackout curtains if not already? We’ve got them on all our windows, hung on tracks so they’re closer to the wall and it really helps. I can usually sleep past noon without an alarm! Although the birds can’t really be helped.

I’ve got them, but light still creeps around the sides! I’d need a fitted blind or shutter to the edges of the windows for total darkness.....haven’t got that far yet though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I’ve got them, but light still creeps around the sides! I’d need a fitted blind or shutter to the edges of the windows for total darkness.....haven’t got that far yet though!

Ah! I have sort of fixed that by putting some hook and eyes into the wall on each end of the tracks and hooking the edge of each curtain into it (presuming it is pencil or pinch pleat you have), it sort of creates a return to the wall and helps block light at the sides. I have a dado rail on the wall so it doesn’t work as well as that protrudes and I’m not tacking my edges to the wall.. but A few guides online for it... But a blind in the recess combined with the curtains probably works better. Good luck!

E939D97A-F259-493E-8D58-FE189CE2CC64.thumb.jpeg.71034938e7c6cb28a874cff1ca368e63.jpeg08F70A07-3FB3-444A-A26F-7C9A1D8E94E5.thumb.jpeg.1caaad8d86f3557a9dca04f5c99bca7e.jpeg

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

Pity the summer solstice is going to be spoilt by a band of rain from the Atlantic. No longest day watching sun rise and set.. Saturday night. Very annoying!

Posted

Cheer up, let’s have the glass half full approach.

The shorter evenings won’t become noticeable until around mid August. Plenty of summer to go before then, and even then, there’s still a chance of hot sunny weather.

The feel of change for me doesn’t really kick in until September 1st, when the reality of summer coming to an end is getting closer. This is usually when I plan a trip to Spain or Portugal, but that’s not happening this year.

Posted
On 18/06/2020 at 10:33, damianslaw said:

Pity the summer solstice is going to be spoilt by a band of rain from the Atlantic. No longest day watching sun rise and set.. Saturday night. Very annoying!

Still next week mate, with loads of sunny hot days, where the blue skies will be with us until dark. 1-2 minutes difference won’t be that noticeable.

Posted

Yeah it’s not worth worrying about for a couple of months yet. July is fine, a good chunk of August then it starts to draw in fast. September is usually decent anyway, get loads of 18-24c days here in September. It’s more like late summer than autumn these days, had a few 30c plus days in recent years too.

Posted
14 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yeah it’s not worth worrying about for a couple of months yet. July is fine, a good chunk of August then it starts to draw in fast. September is usually decent anyway, get loads of 18-24c days here in September. It’s more like late summer than autumn these days, had a few 30c plus days in recent years too.

I agree, although there is a marked change in the early part of September, with cooler mornings and evenings arriving by then, but the days can still be warm or hot until mid September. The last week of September, from around the 20th is where is really does feel more like autumn and less like summer, even if it’s still warm. There’s a feeling in the air, that’s hard to put my finger on.

Posted

The year has many junctures of feel, caused in large part by mother nature and light levels play a big part. My perceptions are: 

Late Spring - Early Summer feeling wonder: best feeling of the year, this sets in around early May and finishes around the summer solstice. Sense of hope in the air, everything growing and light levels increasing exponentially. Also more likely to receive long sustained dry sunny weather, at least here in the Lake District.

High Summer: Late June until second week of August. Time of year most likely to see hottest conditions, light levels lower a little. Deep summer lazy hazy days. 

Second week August until September equinox: Summer begins to fade fast thanks to a marked drop in light levels. Can bring good weather in early September but a completely different feeling to say early June. It's not a time if year I relish much.

September equinox until last week October: A short period, still enough light in the day to not make for a depressing feel despite the weather often being wet and grey. Autumnal colours deepen.

Last week October until Christmas- wham bam, plunged into darkness. A time of grinning and bearing it, thankfully the build up to Christmas takes away what otherwise would be a thoroughly miserable time of year, worse than January!

Christmas to mid February: a painfully slow climb out of the darkness, but full on winter mood. Hibernation time!

Mid February to late March: A time of change, start afresh feeling look ahead, light increases, and time to get outdoors again.

Late March to Early May: New feeling again, light back again, spring in your step time. Sunshine is back hooray!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
16 hours ago, mb018538 said:

It's a mental thing with me; I can't help having a slight feeling of depression on the solstice, as, technically speaking, you've reached the peak of the lovely, long summer evenings, and it's only downhill from now, even if the sunset times do tend to take another week to start getting earlier by a couple of minutes. 

Despite that, it's generally all good till the end of July. After that, the depressing slide into winter ramps up, especially since August no longer seems to deliver much summery weather along with getting dark before 9pm.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Lance M said:

It's a mental thing with me; I can't help having a slight feeling of depression on the solstice, as, technically speaking, you've reached the peak of the lovely, long summer evenings, and it's only downhill from now, even if the sunset times do tend to take another week to start getting earlier by a couple of minutes. 

Despite that, it's generally all good till the end of July. After that, the depressing slide into winter ramps up, especially since August no longer seems to deliver much summery weather along with getting dark before 9pm.

The period I really dislike is October and November. Partly because I work in a school and Michaelmas is the longest and busiest term, but the weather is getting worse and is usually in that period where it’s too late for proper warmth but too early for any proper cold. By December I can start to feel a bit festive and put up with it.

I do like winter as well as summer so it’s not all bad I’m one of the lucky ones who enjoys both, I know there’s plenty on here who strongly like summer or winter and despise the opposite.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Lance M said:

Yes agree, it is a mental thing, reason I don't like August. By September I've adjusted to the inevitable and accepted it, but in August I don't want to, try to hold onto the positive feeling of April- July but it becomes a losing battle..

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Lance M said:

No, I still class early August as peak of summer. Mid August is where it starts to change for me. August 20th in most years seems to be a turning point, with still some hot weather, or warm days, but with thundery or cooler spells creeping in.

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes agree, it is a mental thing, reason I don't like August. By September I've adjusted to the inevitable and accepted it, but in August I don't want to, try to hold onto the positive feeling of April- July but it becomes a losing battle..

That’s the only thing when it becomes August 1st. Summer is still in full swing, but the clock is ticking and you know next month is September, and things will start to change. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think light levels are still good throughout August. It's only really when the nights become longer than the days in September when it really hits home that Winter is on it's way. Before then though 12 hours daylight is still pretty good to get things done out and about.

Posted

I agree with mid August. Working night shifts you really notice the difference compared to May & June. It’s still dark by 6am in late August unlike now where it never really gets properly dark all night.