Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

A dark January day in the making here.. one of those when car headlamps go on at 4pm.. unfortunately but it will mark a bottoming out bleak winter slump and weekends here on in even if wet and overcast cant produce the early dusk effect.. onwards and upwards in one is generally the quietest and uninspiring weekend all year..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Due to the topography of the land around this neck of the woods, this is the weekend when we finally enter the world of post 16:00 sunsets again. :oldsmile:
Although with how thick and heavy the cloud is today, it might not make that much of a difference. *sigh*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Really start noticing the extra 20 mins of daylight now, esp when you out in the afternoon and it is a clear day.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Really start noticing the extra 20 mins of daylight now, esp when you out in the afternoon and it is a clear day.

Yes today will be a marked improvement on yesterday - there is some brightness about and bits of blue sky, so we will probably benefit from about a half hour extra light even more - yesterday was a real downer..

Posted

Gained over half an hour here now, 20 minutes of that in the evenings. Starts to really accelerate now. Still a way to go but we are past the worst of the December gloom now and at least you can start to notice the changing daylight hours.

Posted

Apparently we've gained around 25-28 minutes in the evenings here. I think I might notice it this weekend with the clearer/drier weather.

Posted

I'd say this week marks the absolute low point for those who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, and generally those who feel the effects of low mood in winter caused by the lack of light, namely because we have endured nearly 3 months now of limited light levels, and combined with increased levels of inactivity since christmas.. 

Many who do suffer from these things, probably wish we do what some mammals do, and hibernate in January, feeling revitalised and refreshed come February. I certainly feel like hibernating this time of year, energy levels drop to an all time low, and getting up is very difficult in the dark mornings.

Times like these I think ahead to May and June.

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Slowly getting there.....back the right side of 8am for sunrise, getting beyond 4:30pm for sunset. This 'winter' will soon be a distant memory!

Posted

This week has been very frustrating.

Monday was lovely with clear skies and still some light in the sky coming up to 5pm.

However since then it had been continuous thick cloud and foggy skies and was pitch black by 4.15pm on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today is yet another overcast day grrr....

At least when the sun appears again the changing daylight hours will be even more noticeable.

Posted

Anticyclonic gloom doing nothing to lift the spirits. No wind to stir things. Temps not shifting 24 hrs.. this started off a clean cold high but is now a dirty cloud infested one. Never thought I'd say it but looking forward to the Atlantic giving it a boot - it can do one now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Brightness in the sky up to quarter past 5 at the start of this week (when it was sunny). It has been overcast for the 2nd half of the week but even then it isn't 'dark' until around 4:50.

Posted

Mmmm this January is turning into a right dull gloom fest... another overcast grey day today, light drizzle an low cloud shrouding everything - very uninspiring, expecting a quick descent into dusk probably fairly dark by half 4 unfortunately.. tomorrow looks very wet and drab again.

Thankfully early next week will bring a shift to something much brighter thanks to polar maritime airstream, and at all long last we will start to feel the effects of increasing daylight in the afternoons I feel, after nearly 3 long months of darkness..

The light is appearing at the end of the tunnel..

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Mmmm this January is turning into a right dull gloom fest... another overcast grey day today, light drizzle an low cloud shrouding everything - very uninspiring, expecting a quick descent into dusk probably fairly dark by half 4 unfortunately.. tomorrow looks very wet and drab again.

Yes, a very murky day today, although went for a pleasant walk.  Was sweating when I got back though, despite temps of only 6C!

Posted
10 hours ago, Don said:

Yes, a very murky day today, although went for a pleasant walk.  Was sweating when I got back though, despite temps of only 6C!

Are you sensitive to the heat in summer? I never sweat at 6c.

Just wondering, because different people react to different temps. 

Posted

Hooray tomorrow marks the end of January and what has been a very dull drab overcast dank month in the main, yet again light levels fell rapidly not long after 4pm.. through February we start to notice the change.

I really do feel we should all hibernate in January.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Hooray tomorrow marks the end of January and what has been a very dull drab overcast dank month in the main, yet again light levels fell rapidly not long after 4pm.. through February we start to notice the change.

I really do feel we should all hibernate in January.

Hang in there, it really becomes noticeable through February especially as it starts to become light when leaving work.

Gained an hour in the evenings and half an hour in the mornings here now. We gain nearly two hours through February alone so have that to look forward to.

Posted

The daily change reaches +4 minutes during first week of Feb and by the end is near the maximum about +4:20
That's here it will be more subtle further south I guess

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Morning sunrise is what i look for most..i get up around 6.20am...nice to have sunrise by then..that happens on March 11th in the UK but does not happen until April 21st here a full 6 weeks later in the year 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I noticed yesterday for the first time that it was pretty much light until about 5. I think April is usually when it becomes enjoyably light into the evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Even with overcast skies, it was reasonable at 7:30 this morning... and it's creeping past 5pm for darkness now.

Posted

Some sites will show you the sun altitude at noon, when the angle is 25 degrees or higher there's  something of a stepchange in the amount of energy getting through the atmosphere, below 25 degrees far more is reflected away.
Here that's 25th February but I guess some places further south are already there. 

e.g. *change to your location

cityog.php?title=Sunrise%20and%20Sunset%
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in York – England – United Kingdom for February 2020. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with...

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Some sites will show you the sun altitude at noon, when the angle is 25 degrees or higher there's  something of a stepchange in the amount of energy getting through the atmosphere, below 25 degrees far more is reflected away.
Here that's 25th February but I guess some places further south are already there. 

e.g. *change to your location

cityog.php?title=Sunrise%20and%20Sunset%
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Calculations of sunrise and sunset in York – England – United Kingdom for February 2020. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with...

Timeandate.com is excellent isn't it. Full of useful nerdy information, like the altitude of the sun at any time, it's distance as well as all the sunrise & sunset times for your location. I often gaze wistfully at the June times at this time of year!