Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
19 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I've been doing some nights (finishing at 4am) and the daylight is really drawing to a close.   But I seem to remember how quick winter went, and it was soon June 21st.  This winter will probably not be any different, although I suspect we might be in for something more seasonable Nov-Jan, and I don't mean snow. But we are well overdue a wet and wild period.

I don't mind a seasonal Autumn with disturbed weather - severe gales & heavy rain as long as it doesn't carry on well into the Winter. Although I've known many March's that have had more snow than the Winter. But it's a little too late by then. What's the point in 6 inches of snow for it to all melt by mid day in the strengthening March sun? Then again snow is better than none. Nothing quite like snow at Christmas though. Feels much more festive.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't mind a seasonal Autumn with disturbed weather - severe gales & heavy rain as long as it doesn't carry on well into the Winter. Although I've known many March's that have had more snow than the Winter. But it's a little too late by then. What's the point in 6 inches of snow for it to all melt by mid day in the strengthening March sun? Then again snow is better than none. Nothing quite like snow at Christmas though. Feels much more festive.

Melted by midday? What about March 2018 and 2013? or maybe 2006,2001,1995,1987,1986,1979,1975,1970,1969,1963,1962,need I go on,not forgetting 1947!

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Melted by midday? What about March 2018 and 2013? or maybe 2006,2001,1995,1987,1986,1979,1975,1970,1969,1963,1962,need I go on,not forgetting 1947!

Most of those you mention were exceptional March's with easterlys, very low dew points & a heavier amount of snow than I mentioned with drifts so the snow will stick around for longer. But pre 2009 and after 1996 we mostly got polar maritime flows & even with a decent fall it doesn't hang around very long in full sun from March. Around the Winter Solstice you don't need to rely on the dew point as much because the sun has very low influence. So snow from any direction is good at that time of year. It just happens we rarely get snow before January or even February these days. November & December 2010 was amazing but that's getting on for 10 years ago now.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

November & December 2010 was amazing but that's getting on for 10 years ago now.

Yeah that is mental in itself.  It's all possible, another GSM coming up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

March 1st 2018's snow down here did melt by midday - it was March 14th though. .  We had, exceptional for the southernmost tip of Wales, 50cm of lying snow recorded at the weather station in St Athan nearby and the lanes and even some notable main roads got smothered in drifts from the snow on farm fields around here during the storm.  We had a few inches laying on the fields around us for a few days afterwards but ten ft drifts left lanes plugged for 100s of yds.   

If I recall correctly we had a little weekend snow and ice about March 18th that was absolutely treacherous first thing.  I was the only one out and about in my trusty old Land Rover and had get my wife off a hill which beat her car.  As Frost Hollow notes, that lighter snowfall did indeed melt before midday in the mid-March sun

• Like 2

Posted
On 30/08/2019 at 22:17, hillbilly said:

Yes, April snow would tend to melt by midday rather than March.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Loving the darker evenings, it's finally getting dark at a more sensible time now. Can eat my tea in artificial light with curtains drawn which I prefer it that way. Don't like eating my breakfast in the dark though.

Posted

I love how every thread on this forum eventually turns into a discussion about snow lol... 

• Like 2

Posted

I’m not expecting a cold winter. I have a feeling it’s going to be another mild one, which will probably mean boring and non eventful. 

But, I will hope for some cold crisp sunny days. We get those even during mild winters.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not expecting a cold winter. I have a feeling it’s going to be another mild one, which will probably mean boring and non eventful. 

But, I will hope for some cold crisp sunny days. We get those even during mild winters.

Another mild winter would suit me well Sunny76, don't like the cold lol. Don't mind cold days too much as long as there's plenty of sun.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I need a decent winter lol, the last significant snow here was march 2013, the beast from the east produced very little from an imby perspective, it all looked so promising though, started around 8pm, huge flakes falling, setting nicely, then a pesky warm core invaded, and it turned to heavy rain for hours, just my luck, loving the darker evenings, September is a beautiful month, im hoping for a sunny September and October, the autumn colours are just amazing 

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowrye said:

I need a decent winter lol, the last significant snow here was march 2013, the beast from the east produced very little from an imby perspective, it all looked so promising though, started around 8pm, huge flakes falling, setting nicely, then a pesky warm core invaded, and it turned to heavy rain for hours, just my luck, loving the darker evenings, September is a beautiful month, im hoping for a sunny September and October, the autumn colours are just amazing 

You ended up with rain? Those uppers from the first beast in late Feb were about -15C & the one on 17th-18th March were about -12C. You were very unlucky. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You ended up with rain? Those uppers from the first beast in late Feb were about -15C & the one on 17th-18th March were about -12C. You were very unlucky. 

You cannot possibly get rain with uppers of -15c, the thicknesses just wouldn't be high enough, its scientifically impossible.

• Like 1

Posted

Trust me guys, I had rain, hopefully someone lives close to me on here, and will back me up, @SenlacJack is probably the closest to me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Trust me guys, I had rain, hopefully someone lives close to me on here, and will back me up, @SenlacJack is probably the closest to me

Which day was it? if it was much later in the week then it is possible as the uppers were lower then, but careful though, when you get very fine wintry PPN, it can often look like rain but be a form of snow, like very fine ice pellets etc, i had that on the thursday evening.

Posted

Can't remember the day, it was the system that came through the channel, they were forecasting 10cm plus, as I said it started off as heavy snow, then it developed a secondary low with a warmer core, and it produced a thin layer of warmer air, if I can somehow go back to the regional thread archives, I was up till the early hours, commenting how annoying it was, hearing heavy raindrops hitting the velux

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

So today marks the first pre 8pm sunset since 9th April here.

With the sunrise at 630am we are truly on the downhill now. By the end of the month it's out to sunrise 715am and sunset pre 7pm. 

Screenshot_20190902-045337_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-045327_Samsung Internet.jpg

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Another mild winter would suit me well Sunny76, don't like the cold lol. Don't mind cold days too much as long as there's plenty of sun.

Yeah I know what you mean. Cold sunny days are better than snowy events or cold dull ones. I think a winter like 2011-12 would be ok, as that was the mildest one during the 2008-13 colder period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 01/09/2019 at 22:55, snowrye said:

Hi, what dates/year are we discussing here ?  I moved down here in February 2015 but only started logging the weather over a year later and even then only with basic handwritten records.

I've only just seen this post so have been trying to locate my paperwork but have a horrible feeling that all apart from this years info the rest may have been inadvertantly scrapped in a recent clear out

Posted

@SenlacJack, pretty sure it was last winter, im in northiam, 70m asl, the system came in on a thurs evening I think, it started off as heavy snow, then it developed a warm layer, and I had heavy rain for much of the night, I could here it bouncing of the velux windows

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Its around now, we really do start to notice the ever decreasing light levels, wet overcast evenings produce a dusky light by half 6, and such nights become increasingly likely from now on, especially in these neck of the woods. In contrast a sunny late evening can still allow appreciable light levels at half 7 as occurred last night and the past few - very welcomed..

Mornings will soon as be as dark as those in late February.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here is a technical Q? why is it that the shortest day here is 7:27 long..but the shortest night is only 6:57 why the 30 minutes difference?