Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Yup its Galloping now. Left work at 9 last night and its properly dark now compared to a month ago when sunset was 915pm here. 

Edited by philglossop
  • Like 1

Posted

A sure sign we are now fast approaching autumn, a wet overcast evening means curtain drawn here at half 8, and its now preety dark - rather miserable really, to think 2 months ago curtains could wait to be drawn until close to 11.

Hopefully the end of the month will bring sunnier skies in the evenings so we can make the most of them before the light really begins to fade as we move through September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Relatively clear sky here this evening and even then it still got pitch black just after 9. We've been lucky these past few days as it has always stayed mostly clear from dawn to dusk

Last week in the cloud and rain it was dark by half 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Finding the darker mornings far more refreshing than waking to broad day light at 4am,gives ones body a bit of time to wake plus you actually get to see the sunrise,win win!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Feeling more autumnal now, felt first pangs of autumn this morning this year will be different as no horses to sort out for first time in 5 years over the winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Loving the darker nights now.  Yesterday evening was a clear sky and it was still going dark at 8 pm, very dark by 9 pm and pitch black by 9:30 pm.

I love the darker nights because in June/July when it’s still light after 10 pm, it makes it difficult for your body to wind down and encourages you to stay up later because it’s more difficult to sleep. Even at midnight on a clear night in June it’s not quite completely dark as there’s always a deep blue tinge, whereas tonight it was inky black at 10 pm. And then if you wake up really early (say 6 am) it’s difficult to get back to sleep again as it’s already fully light.

And in just two months time the clocks will be going back, will be dark by 5 pm, I love walking home in semi-darkness and I’ll also get an extra hour in bed, really looking forward to it. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
21 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Loving the darker nights now.  Yesterday evening was a clear sky and it was still going dark at 8 pm, very dark by 9 pm and pitch black by 9:30 pm.

I love the darker nights because in June/July when it’s still light after 10 pm, it makes it difficult for your body to wind down and encourages you to stay up later because it’s more difficult to sleep. Even at midnight on a clear night in June it’s not quite completely dark as there’s always a deep blue tinge, whereas tonight it was inky black at 10 pm. And then if you wake up really early (say 6 am) it’s difficult to get back to sleep again as it’s already fully light.

And in just two months time the clocks will be going back, will be dark by 5 pm, I love walking home in semi-darkness and I’ll also get an extra hour in bed, really looking forward to it. 

I find that is the period for me when I start to feel depressed more often. Part of me likes the cold frosty darker days, but the adjustment to darkness from late October to late Feb it a long and rather dismal one. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I find that is the period for me when I start to feel depressed more often. Part of me likes the cold frosty darker days, but the adjustment to darkness from late October to late Feb it a long and rather dismal one. 

I’m quite the opposite. I like the darker evenings and mornings but I hate being out in the cold. If we could keep the darker nights but have milder temps at 8-13c I would love it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

It’s days like today I yearn for the darker evenings and cooler days, most people have been happy as Larry today whereas I have been a miserable sow and sow, I didn’t realise how much I disliked long warm days until I was diagnosed with depression a couple of years ago and these sunny days depress me more.  I know I am in the minority but my moods are very down at the moment.

A plus though it is now pretty much dark at 2035 now and signs the weather will be turning more Autumnal !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

First time on earlies since the early part of August, and I'm shocked at how much the darkness at the morning part of the day has come on! Its like I've lost an hours worth of twilight! :shok::oldgood:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 22/08/2019 at 19:33, snowgirl30 said:

Feeling more autumnal now, felt first pangs of autumn this morning this year will be different as no horses to sort out for first time in 5 years over the winter

Ahhhhh... The joys of sorting horses out in the darkness... And mud! 
Only another eight weeks to go before we are at that point again. :oldsmile:

Posted

We've now hit the point in the year when the daily rate of light loss in the evenings at least reaches its peak, roughly two minutes lost every day from now until the clocks go back. The daily rate of light level loss in the mornings is not quite as extreme, and is longer lasting in duration in terms of consistency, starting in early August and running right through until late November, about 1-1.5 minutes each morning.

• Like 2

Posted

I adjust badly to changing daylight hours. When the evenings start to become light in Spring, I find it hard to switch off, get cosy or sleep in the evenings, I'm just restless. And when the evenings start to get dark again like now, I find the lack of after-work daylight hours really depressing!  Having said that, I've always adjusted by mid-October and look forward to all the fun dark evenings bring like Halloween and Bonfire Night.

I do find myself clicking the sunrise/sunset timetables every week. I just like to know! https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk

Edited by Team Squirrel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Getting to the point now where sunrises aren't ridiculously early. Certainly the nights drawing in more quickly too. I'm getting the Autumn vibe although September tends to be a very boring month with little excitement. 2000 was pretty wet & Atlantic dominated but that was an ominous sign to what turned out to be the wettest Autumn on record. It rained every single day here from mid September until mid December - a record unmatched here since then. However the final part of December brought snow & a decent cold spell with the coldest temps for 5 years. Despite widespread floods it was meteorologically speaking an interesting latter part of the year.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Getting to the point now where sunrises aren't ridiculously early. Certainly the nights drawing in more quickly too. I'm getting the Autumn vibe although September tends to be a very boring month with little excitement. 2000 was pretty wet & Atlantic dominated but that was an ominous sign to what turned out to be the wettest Autumn on record. It rained every single day here from mid September until mid December - a record unmatched here since then. However the final part of December brought snow & a decent cold spell with the coldest temps for 5 years. Despite widespread floods it was meteorologically speaking an interesting latter part of the year.

I've been doing some nights (finishing at 4am) and the daylight is really drawing to a close.   But I seem to remember how quick winter went, and it was soon June 21st.  This winter will probably not be any different, although I suspect we might be in for something more seasonable Nov-Jan, and I don't mean snow. But we are well overdue a wet and wild period.

• Like 1

Posted

Only 8 weeks and 2 days until the clocks go back! That's right, I'm actually counting down the days!

• Like 3

Posted
12 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I've been doing some nights (finishing at 4am) and the daylight is really drawing to a close.   But I seem to remember how quick winter went, and it was soon June 21st.  This winter will probably not be any different, although I suspect we might be in for something more seasonable Nov-Jan, and I don't mean snow. But we are well overdue a wet and wild period.

What do you mean then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
13 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

But we are well overdue a wet and wild period.

^^^^

1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What do you mean then?

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
2 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

^^^^

I love a good winter storm, bring it on! ?

• Like 3

Posted
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Only 8 weeks and 2 days until the clocks go back! That's right, I'm actually counting down the days!

So just another 3 months or so on that to look forward to getting more daylight again!

• Like 2

Posted

Just now, johnholmes said:

So just another 6 months or so on that to look forward to getting more daylight again!