Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
39 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Significant date today, halfway between summer solstice and autumnal equinox. It is from today onwards, the length of daylight really starts to shorten at a pace.

Yup it's taken since 21st June to loose 90 minutes of daylight here, but we'll nearly match that by 31st August from today.

Going to be strange this year, just a late holiday in Greece in October to look forward to. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

We're losing about 3 minutes a day it seems  The shorter days always seem to come around sooner than the longer ones, I dread the really short winter days cos of S.A.D.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, interested & confused said:

We're losing about 3 minutes a day it seems  The shorter days always seem to come around sooner than the longer ones, I dread the really short winter days cos of S.A.D.

I do feel sorry for those who suffer with S.A.D, and can't enjoy those wonderful, long Winters nights. For me it really is "the most wonderful time of the year"!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Significant date today, halfway between summer solstice and autumnal equinox. It is from today onwards, the length of daylight really starts to shorten at a pace.

Blimey, WH -- that's sooo depressing!:oldgrin:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I also think this is about the time when you really start to notice things too. We go from sunset at 20:40 today to sunset at 19:59 by the 27th - 45 minutes gone in 20 days. Once you get through the first 7-10 days of August then summer is definitely on the slide and the march towards darkness gathers pace.

In 6 weeks time i will need lights on my bike again en route to work....which will stay that way right until the beginning of March. A sobering thought! I will live with this if we get some decent winter weather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
5 hours ago, Wynter said:

I do feel sorry for those who suffer with S.A.D, and can't enjoy those wonderful, long Winters nights. For me it really is "the most wonderful time of the year"!

Evening @Wynter :oldsmile:
I'm really quite strange on this one. I always look forward to the time just after the summer solstice, as I know at that point we're loosing daylight rather than gaining it. In fact I often end up counting the days (which can really seem like a long hard slog) up the summer solstice, then once we've passed it its like a huge relief knowing that darkness is slowly returning. Plus I absolutely love the quality of the light throughout August, September and October, and the rate at which we loose it. I find the time around the weekend that the clocks go back and Halloween particularly magical. :air_kiss:
But once Halloween has passed, a strange switch happens, I seem to completely fall out of love with autumn, and the whole loosing daylight thing, and suddenly start craving extra daylight! :blink2:
This then carries on throughout the depths of winter and I find myself desperately trying to find any lengthening of daylight (which is normally noticeable, albeit ever so slightly on Christmas day!)
Then thoughout February and March I'm normally quite at peace with the world, and looking forward to putting the clocks on an hour, so I can have that extra hour of daylight in an evening, and then come May, I find myself desperately craving the extra darkness again! 
But do you know what? I really wouldn't change it, because having this contrast makes me really appreciate the time I enjoy most, which is now. Lol :oldgrin:
So for me this is the most wonderful time of the year, and yours is rapidly approaching. :oldgood:
But hey, I did say I was strange. Lol :crazy::drinks:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I agree, there's something magical about the Halloween and bonfire period but I'm not sure if that's just good old fashioned nostalgia from when I was a kid ☺️

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Evening @Wynter :oldsmile:
I'm really quite strange on this one. I always look forward to the time just after the summer solstice, as I know at that point we're loosing daylight rather than gaining it. In fact I often end up counting the days (which can really seem like a long hard slog) up the summer solstice, then once we've passed it its like a huge relief knowing that darkness is slowly returning. Plus I absolutely love the quality of the light throughout August, September and October, and the rate at which we loose it. I find the time around the weekend that the clocks go back and Halloween particularly magical. :air_kiss:
But once Halloween has passed, a strange switch happens, I seem to completely fall out of love with autumn, and the whole loosing daylight thing, and suddenly start craving extra daylight! :blink2:
This then carries on throughout the depths of winter and I find myself desperately trying to find any lengthening of daylight (which is normally noticeable, albeit ever so slightly on Christmas day!)
Then thoughout February and March I'm normally quite at peace with the world, and looking forward to putting the clocks on an hour, so I can have that extra hour of daylight in an evening, and then come May, I find myself desperately craving the extra darkness again! 
But do you know what? I really wouldn't change it, because having this contrast makes me really appreciate the time I enjoy most, which is now. Lol :oldgrin:
So for me this is the most wonderful time of the year, and yours is rapidly approaching. :oldgood:
But hey, I did say I was strange. Lol :crazy::drinks:

And isn't it wonderful that we all have these little quirks that make us all different. I personally don't start looking for the increase in daylight until we hit Spring. I love the Winter months for the cosy feeling you get with the long nights. I actually look forward to the drive to work (I work night shifts) when I can leave home at 4.30pm and drive all the way in complete darkness. Especially if its cold/foggy/snowy/icy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
37 minutes ago, Wynter said:

And isn't it wonderful that we all have these little quirks that make us all different. I personally don't start looking for the increase in daylight until we hit Spring. I love the Winter months for the cosy feeling you get with the long nights. I actually look forward to the drive to work (I work night shifts) when I can leave home at 4.30pm and drive all the way in complete darkness. Especially if its cold/foggy/snowy/icy.

Oh I know exactly what you mean about the driving in the dark freezing cold fog and what have you. @Wynter ... Its sooo atmospheric. :oldgood:

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I agree, there's something magical about the Halloween and bonfire period but I'm not sure if that's just good old fashioned nostalgia from when I was a kid ☺️

I'm so glad its not just me then @CreweCold:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Only if it's frosty! None of this modern 20c Halloween nonsense.

I'm starting to get Autumn vibes now though for sure. The unsettled spell will accelerate that along.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

don't you find it gets tiresome driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark also for a long period of the year?

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

don't you find it gets tiresome driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark also for a long period of the year?

Not at all. It's serene imo. I can imagine it would wear off a bit if it was all year round. But for me, I love every minute of it.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I agree I'm a fan of that time of year, there is a marked shift in the feel of things, and the promise of cold and snow to come (live in hope..). However, for me the best time of year is late April through until about mid June, ever increasing daylight, increasing warmth and the promise of sunny lazy days ahead.. it is often the most settled time of year here as well. You can't beat that late May/early June feeling. Conversely around now marks the start of the time of year I least look forward too, and this tends to disappear oddly around mid October - the slow descent into autumn, which seems to take an age. I find September an especially trying month weatherwise, despite it often being a very pleasant month, there is that nagging feeling that summer has been an gone again, and a lacklustre nothingness tends to take hold, come November the weather tends to liven it up, and the christmas mood begins to take over. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Certainly noticeable now sunset at 2040 and last light at 2120.  I do feel for those who suffer from SAD, as I suffer the reverse, the long warm days I find very depressing and can’t wait for the darker evenings.

I yearn for the Autumn colours, scrumping for Apples   chestnuts , the first frost, the stunning light and the sun sets that accompany it, the rough sea (especially nice here on the IOW)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Quite noticeable now. The darker mornings creeping up with sunrise after 6am from the end of next weekend. We have the curtains drawn by 9pm now.

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/08/2019 at 21:31, Bobafet said:

Certainly noticeable now sunset at 2040 and last light at 2120.  I do feel for those who suffer from SAD, as I suffer the reverse, the long warm days I find very depressing and can’t wait for the darker evenings.

I yearn for the Autumn colours, scrumping for Apples   chestnuts , the first frost, the stunning light and the sun sets that accompany it, the rough sea (especially nice here on the IOW)

Agreed,  I was diagnosed with summer SADs by GP 2 years ago, and I can never deal with July especially. Last year I just upped my antidepressants and stuck it out, but I never go out in the Summer. Hate it with passion. 

It's around now, i start to feel a little better and by October it's gone. Then it comes back in May.

I must one of a handful of people who have to take antidepressants to go to Greece on holiday and enjoy it. Its ridiculous but hey that's my body and mind I guess.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
3 hours ago, philglossop said:

Agreed,  I was diagnosed with summer SADs by GP 2 years ago, and I can never deal with July especially. Last year I just upped my antidepressants and stuck it out, but I never go out in the Summer. Hate it with passion. 

It's around now, i start to feel a little better and by October it's gone. Then it comes back in May.

I must one of a handful of people who have to take antidepressants to go to Greece on holiday and enjoy it. Its ridiculous but hey that's my body and mind I guess.

I struggle with the Summer months and extra light too. In the peak of Summer it feels like I have to endure eternal daylight. I can feel myself starting to perk up now the nights are slowly drawing back in, the end is in sight! I need the dark to relax, I wear sunglasses all year round and not just on sunny days.I also like the feel fresh air coming through my window, none of this warm hairdryer rubbish please! October to February is the best time of the year!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, Clair_Witch said:

I struggle with the Summer months and extra light too. In the peak of Summer it feels like I have to endure eternal daylight. I can feel myself starting to perk up now the nights are slowly drawing back in, the end is in sight! I need the dark to relax, I wear sunglasses all year round and not just on sunny days.I also like the feel fresh air coming through my window, none of this warm hairdryer rubbish please! October to February is the best time of the year!

Know exactly what you mean,i dread the summer months. Now the light levels are dropping especially in the mornings makes life so much better. The speed of change now is also gathering pace. This August is proving to be nice change,the cooler air now entrenched isn't going anywhere soon,not long now to the relief of those fantastic Autumn mornings and the first frosty morning!

• Like 3

Posted

Just been having a butchers at the 'Time and Date' website, and between now and the end of August we loose about an hours worth of day light! :oldgood:

... And I've just realised what I've said there... So if you dread the onset of the increasing darkness... Sorry about that. :oldmellow:

https://www.timeanddate.com/

• Like 2

Posted

I go on holiday 7 weeks time to Greece.

Today we get 14hrs 14 minutes daylight. By 10th October we'll be down to 11hrs 5 minutes. Although to be fair, it's starting to feel a bit Autumn like in the mornings now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

First morning I noticed the lower light levels - was fairly gloomy at 5.40am 

• Like 2

Posted

Today is my first post 06:00 sunrise since the 20th of April! 
And I have to say that its noticeably darker this morning than say a week ago. 

• Like 1