Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 12/07/2019 at 23:07, simshady said:

Yeah, it's weird. In autumn/winter i feel more energetic and my mood also picks up.

Totally agree,just feel so much healthier in the Autumn and Winter,find i can enjoy getting out more without the heat/humidity and bright light. The shallow light of those months i find far better.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Anyone who's up early enough will have already noticed a change to the sunrise. We're gradually losing the lingering twilight now, although it's not until the 28th that true darkness returns here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted

Just starting to get darker earlier here at nights become more apparent at the end of the month 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why dont you just buy some blackout blinds..when my children were small they would wake whenever the sun came up..which was a pain in the summer..so bought blackout blinds for their bedrooms problem solved.

They won't fit my windows,also the cost involved.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, markyo said:

They won't fit my windows,also the cost involved.

you cant get blinds to fit any windows...plus they are not expensive got mine from B&Q

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not long to go now until we lose the twilight conditions all night & then move into complete darkness from around the 31st. A late Summer feel to things then ensues as we approach meteorological Autumn.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Sunset is 21.08 and last light 21.50!  It soon catches up and soon it will be 20.00 can’t wait! Really not looking forward to the potential heat next week my worst nightmare.

still won’t be long until the Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere thread and the winter thread open, roll on October

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 15/07/2019 at 15:39, markyo said:

Totally agree,just feel so much healthier in the Autumn and Winter,find i can enjoy getting out more without the heat/humidity and bright light. The shallow light of those months i find far better.

The cold, dark, nights are purgatory for those of us who suffer from SAD.  Winter also brings all those heating bills.  And yes, I do have a SAD lamp but it can't replace proper sunlight.

Posted

It’s still light until nearly 9.30 and twilight until 10 still, and that’s here in west London. Last night was clear, so it was still twilight at 10pm. 

It wont be until mid August where it’s completely dark by 9pm and getting dark by 8.30. That’s when it starts to become noticeable to most people. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

The cold, dark, nights are purgatory for those of us who suffer from SAD.  Winter also brings all those heating bills.  And yes, I do have a SAD lamp but it can't replace proper sunlight.

I totally understand what you mean Pete,for me summer is purgatory,i suffer from reverse SAD,extended sunlight and heat really effect me. Like yourself as in winter my bills go through the roof with the cost of running aircon at home. I hope you can enjoy the heat while it lasts! Not often the UK gets such forecast temps especially this summer.

• Like 5

Posted

Tonight sees the first 39 minutes of true darkness return down south. On a sliding slope now, losing two to three minutes of daylight per day, back to the full glories of Autumn/Winter. :clap:

Edited by Wynter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

Tonight sees the first 39 minutes of true darkness return down south. On a sliding slope now, losing two to three minutes of daylight per day, back to the full glories of Autumn/Winter. :clap:

On a sliding slope to 24-25c minima and 35-38c maxima In 3 days time more like!

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

On a sliding slope to 24-25c minima and 35-38c maxima In 3 days time more like!

That's fine, it is Summer after all. I seem to be one of the lucky few who can enjoy all weather types during all seasons. Going to enjoy the next few days with BBQs and trips to the beach.

• Like 3

Posted

5 days time and the sun will be setting before 9pm, the nights really do begin to draw in quickly in the next few weeks!

• Like 1

For the first time since May we get our first true dark night this morning.  Just a shame it's overcast so I can't see it but at least we've reached that threshold now.  The nights are starting to draw in faster, and autumn feels like it isn't that far off.

Edited by Agnostick
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

An hour of daylight lost in southern England now. I am looking forward to it not getting light until post-6am I have to say. 6-7am is the ideal really.

• Like 7

Posted

9.35 and now dark, sunset 8.56 pm, Autumn is around the corner what’s not to like, rugby World Cup starts soon as well!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

9.35 and now dark, sunset 8.56 pm, Autumn is around the corner what’s not to like, rugby World Cup starts soon as well!

Not a fan of Rugby or the darkness. I do like the quite evenings in front of the tv though and the feeling of isolation between October and March. 

Will watch The Shining when the clocks go back. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Beginning to notice the darker nights. Late Summer is here & Autumn just around the corner. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Due to the topography of the land around here, last night was the first pre 21:00 sunset since May for me.
But having been working on earlies shifts for most of July, I haven't really noticed the shortening of the days at the evening end of things until last night... But the mornings darkness has been coming on at a fair ole pace now for some time. :oldsmile:
With well over three minutes of daylight per day now being lost, we're well into that late summer period now. 

• Like 4