Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Nothing better than a nice early sunrise with the birds chirping and it feeling nice and warm (occasionally!). As an outside worker, you appreciate the useful light more and nature as a whole. 

Theres nothing worse in winter than a long, cold, wet dreary nightshift, that never seems to end. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
On 06/06/2019 at 18:44, Wynter said:

We're not going to start questioning peoples preferences again are we? He likes the Autumn/Winter, get over it!

Once we hit the backend of July, people will be ramping up the slow decline into autumn lol. 

Posted
On 06/06/2019 at 20:21, markyo said:

For me its fantastic! I genuinely love that time of year,no ramping,nothing like that at all,just my favourite time of year.

I get why people love the cosy appeal of winter. The darkness outside, dull dreary days, sitting indoors and chilling.

I do feel however, that since it’s summer, I’m happy for the longer days and warmer weather(when we do get it). 

Posted

Only 6 weeks until true night returns. I do love the summer, but the date that true night returns is the date that I start the countdown to Autumn/Winter. Getting a little exited just thinking about it! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
26 minutes ago, Wynter said:

Only 6 weeks until true night returns. I do love the summer, but the date that true night returns is the date that I start the countdown to Autumn/Winter. Getting a little exited just thinking about it! 

jeez..winter only just finished here..we had snow on Friday..bearing in mind we have had snow every month since it started the first week of Sept..quickly starts checking jobs in Phoenix Arizona :drunk-emoji:

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

jeez..winter only just finished here..we had snow on Friday..bearing in mind we have had snow every month since it started the first week of Sept..quickly starts checking jobs in Phoenix Arizona :drunk-emoji:

Arizona had snow end of May  

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/27/us/arizona-snow-at-grand-canyon-wxc-trnd/index.html

Posted
20 hours ago, Wynter said:

It's already here mate.

• Like 1

Posted

weird, but this morning, I had my first "Winter prang"

I'm gonna call it a "pseudo prang" because we are the wrong side of the solstice and daylight is still technically extending, but the light level, temperature and smell of moisture made me think of Autumn. Earliest point of the year i've ever experienced this (normally get it in early August) which is a testament to how bad the weather has been.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

5 days to go...then that lovely journey back to those cosy nights in,fire on,curtains drawn and not being woken at 4am by a wasted sunrise!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Noctilucent clouds were evident last night

Meant to ask whether you captured these this morning, they were fantastic between 2-3 am viewed from Warrington but wondered whether some cloud cover to the east obscured your view - evidently not.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The solstice is at 3.54pm tomorrow. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again.....

Edited by sundog
  • Like 6

Posted

Good day tomorrow,the start of that long trip back to those lovely nights in,with the benefit of seeing the 2 best parts of the day..sunrise and sunset!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Stonehenge summer solstice: Thousands gather to cheer sunrise on longest day of year

About 10,000 people gather at the neolithic monument in Wiltshire as clear skies ensure they are able to observe the spectacle.

https://news.sky.com/story/stonehenge-summer-solstice-thousands-gather-to-cheer-sunrise-on-longest-day-of-year-11746049

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Nights drawing in slightly Now 2145 and it is pretty much dark.  I for one am getting fed up with this incessant humid and dry weather.  I know I am in the minority here but this weather actually depresses me.  As soon as we hit September my mood begins to change.

Give it a month and it will be getting dark before 2100 and I can’t wait!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
37 minutes ago, Bobafet said:

Nights drawing in slightly Now 2145 and it is pretty much dark.  I for one am getting fed up with this incessant humid and dry weather.  I know I am in the minority here but this weather actually depresses me.  As soon as we hit September my mood begins to change.

Give it a month and it will be getting dark before 2100 and I can’t wait!

Yeah, it's weird. In autumn/winter i feel more energetic and my mood also picks up.

• Like 3

Posted

True darkness isn’t arriving until the early part of September, or backend of August. 

I will be getting up at 5am in darkness by the time we reach August 15th, and that’s something I’m not looking forward to. But, hopefully temps will still be warm or even hot at that time.

The real feel of autumn/cold nights with heating on won’t really kick in until late September. From then on until early March I’m less enthusiastic about things.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

True darkness isn’t arriving until the early part of September, or backend of August. 

I will be getting up at 5am in darkness by the time we reach August 15th, and that’s something I’m not looking forward to. But, hopefully temps will still be warm or even hot at that time.

The real feel of autumn/cold nights with heating on won’t really kick in until late September. From then on until early March I’m less enthusiastic about things.

True night returns on the 22nd July, albeit only for 39 minutes. What do you define as "True darkness"?

Edited by Wynter
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Wynter said:

True night returns on the 22nd July, albeit on for 39 minutes. What do you define as "True darkness"?

My definition of true darkness is when it starts to creep into then working day, ie getting up and going to work around 6.30-7am and getting dark after 6.30pm. That’s not something that will happen until late September. That’s when true autumn will be with us, because usually by then the mornings are becoming not just cool but cold at times.

Posted

I wake at 5am and leave my flat at 5.45am then board by tube train around 6.05am, following my 15 minute fast walk. 

I’m just guessing but the darkness will arrive at my waking time quite soon, but the darkness on my walk to the tube station probably won’t be until September. Anyone want to tell me when I’ll be in true darkness? Lol

I used to get up at 6.30-7 for my last job, so this is going to be a shock to be facing morning darkness much earlier than most people. 

Posted

Starting to see the change the welcome change in the morning sunrises now,not fully light till 4:30,every little helps i suppose,soon that lovely waking up without blazing sunlight coming through the curtains will soon be here,can't wait!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
21 hours ago, markyo said:

Starting to see the change the welcome change in the morning sunrises now,not fully light till 4:30,every little helps i suppose,soon that lovely waking up without blazing sunlight coming through the curtains will soon be here,can't wait!

why dont you just buy some blackout blinds..when my children were small they would wake whenever the sun came up..which was a pain in the summer..so bought blackout blinds for their bedrooms problem solved.