Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Point taken but I'm only talking a small adjustment for the two or three weeks In March where we have 12 hours of daylight plus an hour of twilight.     

anway not all provinces in Canada put their clocks forwards and backwards

Posted

More precisely some specific regions within certain Canadian provinces don't and Arizona in the USA doesn't either but it remains true that for the vast majority of the population in both countries DST applies.

At least the choice can be made at a local level unlike in the EU and maybe Scotland once we leave the EU might consider operating a different time zone from the rest of the UK to reflect its northerly latitude. 

However the fact remains between now and March 30th first light will be well before 6AM while only 10% of the population emerge from their beds before this time. That is a waste of energy resources.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
17 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

More precisely some specific regions within certain Canadian provinces don't and Arizona in the USA doesn't either but it remains true that for the vast majority of the population in both countries DST applies.

At least the choice can be made at a local level unlike in the EU and maybe Scotland once we leave the EU might consider operating a different time zone from the rest of the UK to reflect its northerly latitude. 

However the fact remains between now and March 30th first light will be well before 6AM while only 10% of the population emerge from their beds before this time. That is a waste of energy resources.

My guess is most of central Europe will go summer time all year

Posted

Leave it as it is.

Make's it all more seasonal.

It would be quite boring if everything was the same. Like being human, with everyone having the same opinion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

As we race around the Sun it's interesting to note that the Earth-Sun separation is actually increasing despite the warming days.  At aphelion (4th July 2019) the Sun will appear approximately 6% less luminous than at perihelion (3rd January 2019). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 04/03/2019 at 23:19, Summer Sun said:

MEPs vote to scrap twice-yearly clock change by 2021

A committee of MEPs has voted to scrap the custom of changing the clocks in spring and autumn by 2021, as momentum builds behind a draft law that could raise tensions with Britain after Brexit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/04/meps-vote-to-scrap-switch-from-summer-to-winter-time?__twitter_impression=true

I actually experienced all-year-round Summer Time from Spring 1968 to Autumn 1971 and it was an unmitigated disaster.  Sunrise around 9am (or even later in Scotland) with having to drive (or even worse, ride) along dark, icy roads to get to work - in my case I had to leave home around 8am to ride across the Wirral on icy back lanes to Port Sunlight to start work at 8:30am.  The dark mornings led to a spate of accidents where school kids had to mix it with half-awake drivers and obviously came off worst.   It's ironic how RoSPA then declared that permanent Summer Time  to be disastrous, but the same RoSPA are now agitating for permanent Summer Time.

Hopefully this Brexit nonsense will be shortly a thing of the past and we leave the clocks as they are.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm still in winter mode, despite it being spring equinox.. dark grey murky skies in March still feel very wintry, light levels lowering around 6pm still. 

There is a major flick of switch when the clocks go forward though - a rapid shift and change in overall feel of things, just as occurs when the clocks go back, but the difference then is perhaps less marked, given October is generally a dull month with dark grey skies, whereas April often brings bright settled conditions and everything is bursting into life.. suddenly we are plunged into light and life, and it feels very positive, whereas in October there is a gradual fading settling us into winter mode, in March we don't really get that gradual shift in season feeling - at least not in the north half of the UK, which enhances the change in feel.

Overall though late April - mid May for me is the period of year that sees the greatest change, spring bursts into full life, everything starts growing madly.. and the sun seems suddenly injected with a hot streak..by mid May we are already reaching near peak sunshine levels, and the sun overhead is as strong as it is in high summer.

In general feel though you can't beat late May - mid June, a superb time of year, with the promise of summer ahead, and near peak light levels.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I'm still in winter mode, despite it being spring equinox.. dark grey murky skies in March still feel very wintry, light levels lowering around 6pm still. 

There is a major flick of switch when the clocks go forward though - a rapid shift and change in overall feel of things, just as occurs when the clocks go back, but the difference then is perhaps less marked, given October is generally a dull month with dark grey skies, whereas April often brings bright settled conditions and everything is bursting into life.. suddenly we are plunged into light and life, and it feels very positive, whereas in October there is a gradual fading settling us into winter mode, in March we don't really get that gradual shift in season feeling - at least not in the north half of the UK, which enhances the change in feel.

Overall though late April - mid May for me is the period of year that sees the greatest change, spring bursts into full life, everything starts growing madly.. and the sun seems suddenly injected with a hot streak..by mid May we are already reaching near peak sunshine levels, and the sun overhead is as strong as it is in high summer.

In general feel though you can't beat late May - mid June, a superb time of year, with the promise of summer ahead, and near peak light levels.

Agreed. May is my favourite month.

You can, and often do, get hot spells. Thunderstorms and plumes become a real possibility. The daylight has extended massively. 2 bank holidays. We have our annual "pub race" which is the best day of the year. All of the football competitions reach a climax and sometimes Arsenal are in one of them:D

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Azazel said:

Agreed. May is my favourite month.

You can, and often do, get hot spells. Thunderstorms and plumes become a real possibility. The daylight has extended massively. 2 bank holidays. We have our annual "pub race" which is the best day of the year. All of the football competitions reach a climax and sometimes Arsenal are in one of them:D

Agreed May is mine, followed by closely by June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The EU has passed a motion to end the twice yearly clock change by 410 votes to 192

The change will come into effect in April 2021 for those moving to permanent summer time for those who decide on permanent winter time the change will happen in October 2021

The the UK government has indicated it will stick to the current system after Brexit

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-votes-to-stop-moving-clocks-twice-a-year-11675731

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The EU has passed a motion to end the twice yearly clock change by 410 votes to 192

The change will come into effect in April 2021 for those moving to permanent summer time for those who decide on permanent winter time the change will happen in October 2021

The the UK government has indicated it will stick to the current system after Brexit

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-votes-to-stop-moving-clocks-twice-a-year-11675731

wont that mess up the time zones if there is a mish mash between permanent Summer time or permanent Winter time? for example Spain could be on the same time zone as Germany but France could be one hour in front or behind dependent on which options countries choose

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm actually looking forward to the clocks going forward as I'm waking up an hour before my alarm just because it's light outside and so is the cat, so if the cat's awake, so am I 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thank goodness, the end of GMT for another seven months. Though quite why we have to wait until the last Sunday in March for the return to BST, I'll never know - what's good enough for late October ought to be good enough for late February?:search:

• Like 3

Posted
On 30/03/2019 at 09:47, Ed Stone said:

Thank goodness, the end of GMT for another seven months. Though quite why we have to wait until the last Sunday in March for the return to BST, I'll never know - what's good enough for late October ought to be good enough for late February?:search:

I agree, so much wasted potential evening light during the last 3-4 weeks.

The majority of people work 9-5 hours so why do we have to wait until sunrise is well before 6am before putting the clocks forward again.

Edited by ManiaMuse
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

I agree, so much wasted potential evening light during the last 3-4 weeks.

The majority of people work 9-5 hours so why do we have to wait until sunrise is well before 6am before putting the clocks forward again.

do they??..i dont know anyone who works 9-5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
9 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

do they??..i dont know anyone who works 9-5

I know more people that do than don't, although the amount of people 'working from home' seems to have increased rapidly lately

Anyway now we are on summer time can be just leave it alone and not bother putting the clocks back in October.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 06/05/2019 at 23:38, Weather-history said:

Lingering twilight season is underway in the north.

Here to Edmonton is on the same Latitude as Manchester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Always feels like summer light mode is here from now middle of may to end of July - today is the last day where day length increases by 3 mins 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The long slog is nearly done,less than a month till a slow return journey to those lovely dark evenings in front of the fire and waking up to actually see a sunrise!! Can't wait

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Tonight is the first night of lingering twilight down here in Surrey 

Posted
7 hours ago, markyo said:

The long slog is nearly done,less than a month till a slow return journey to those lovely dark evenings in front of the fire and waking up to actually see a sunrise!! Can't wait

no thanks..too dark in the mornings here during the winter..doesn't rise until 9am