Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
24 minutes ago, Mr TOAD said:

I hate how quickly we lose the early dusks and short days.  I wish spring could be delayed by another month, somehow.

We certainly get a fairly rapid gain once we pass the shortest day roughly 1hr 20 per month?

Posted

Ever so slightly starting to notice the days drawing out a little now - especially on bright and clear days, but not on cloudy dull days. Yesterday was woeful, car headlights on at 3.30pm, it felt like early December and a step back, with everything going dark just after 4pm. Thankfully, today was much better with light levels only falling notably about 4.45pm. Mornings though are still very dark, a slow crawl upwards through January, not until early Feb we start to see them draw out noticeably.

We've got another month to go before we start to feel that shift in gear from winter towards spring... right now we are firmly still in bleak mid winter grip, even if mother nature signals are saying its late Feb/early March, hello daffodils..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

prefer the light mornings, hate the dark mornings, not getting any lighter here at all on a morning, just starts to, then dark again when we put the damn clocks forward

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Currently in Tunisia and I’ve had the sunrise at just after 7am local time and sunset towards 6pm. It’s very much noticeable the difference that near extra hour makes to a day when compared to the UK.

Shame we’ve had Northerlies or NW winds for 5 out the 6 days so far, only yesterday was it warm and comfortable for shorts and flip flops!

Posted

9 hours of daylight today. We are getting there slowly but surely.

On 28/01/2019 at 08:52, philglossop said:

Currently in Tunisia and I’ve had the sunrise at just after 7am local time and sunset towards 6pm. It’s very much noticeable the difference that near extra hour makes to a day when compared to the UK.

Shame we’ve had Northerlies or NW winds for 5 out the 6 days so far, only yesterday was it warm and comfortable for shorts and flip flops!

On the other hand you don't get such extremes throughout the year. Latest sunset in Tunis in June is 7.42pm compared to 9.42pm here in Manchester (although it is still more likely to be warm in Tunisia!)

On 28/01/2019 at 08:52, philglossop said:

Noticed that in gran canaria  sunset around 6.45 though mornings much the same as UK 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

For me the light levels will hit their best in about a months time,little bit more morning and evening light but nothing to much. Realise my view is different,but for me the increase in light levels is at the best uncomfortable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 06/02/2019 at 11:12, markyo said:

For me the light levels will hit their best in about a months time,little bit more morning and evening light but nothing to much. Realise my view is different,but for me the increase in light levels is at the best uncomfortable.

Longing for the lighter mornings..its still dark past 8am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
51 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Longing for the lighter mornings..its still dark past 8am

For me personally driving to work in the dark and watching a sunrise is the best part of my day,that first change of light is fantastic,the way it changes the landscape in the matter of minutes,something lost in the summer months with such a early sunrise.

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

For me personally driving to work in the dark and watching a sunrise is the best part of my day,that first change of light is fantastic,the way it changes the landscape in the matter of minutes,something lost in the summer months with such a early sunrise.

it will be April 20th before the sunrise is before i leave for work..if i was in London it would be the 9th March..this is due to my location in my time zone.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

MEPs vote to scrap twice-yearly clock change by 2021

A committee of MEPs has voted to scrap the custom of changing the clocks in spring and autumn by 2021, as momentum builds behind a draft law that could raise tensions with Britain after Brexit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/04/meps-vote-to-scrap-switch-from-summer-to-winter-time?__twitter_impression=true

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Well I hope Ireland stays in winter time which is the real time anyway.

Posted
10 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

MEPs vote to scrap twice-yearly clock change by 2021

A committee of MEPs has voted to scrap the custom of changing the clocks in spring and autumn by 2021, as momentum builds behind a draft law that could raise tensions with Britain after Brexit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/04/meps-vote-to-scrap-switch-from-summer-to-winter-time?__twitter_impression=true

It's odd that 70% of those surveyed were in Germany which is mostly further south and has significantly less variation.
When permanent GMT +1 was trialled in the late 60s people hated it, I can't see permanent GMT being any more popular.
Disruption from the changeover is far less of an issue than it was as majority of clocks do it on their own.
I guess if the EU stops doing it on the set date that will all go haywire.

As usual it is unclear if this is just a proposal but being portrayed as about to go ahead.

Posted
5 hours ago, 4wd said:

It's odd that 70% of those surveyed were in Germany which is mostly further south and has significantly less variation.
When permanent GMT +1 was trialled in the late 60s people hated it, I can't see permanent GMT being any more popular.
Disruption from the changeover is far less of an issue than it was as majority of clocks do it on their own.
I guess if the EU stops doing it on the set date that will all go haywire.

As usual it is unclear if this is just a proposal but being portrayed as about to go ahead.

each country should be allowed to choose if the clocks are changed or not..here in Canada each province decides ..Alberta puts their clocks back and forward each year like the UK ...Saskatchewan does not which is next door. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

I reckon here in Ireland we will do whatever Britain decides to. 

Posted
7 hours ago, sundog said:

Well I hope Ireland stays in winter time which is the real time anyway.

80% of Irish people who did a poll said they want summer time all year round. Farmers in Ireland also want summer time all year for the longer nights

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/majority-of-irish-people-favour-year-round-summer-time-as-eu-to-vote-on-clock-change-908819.html

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

80% of Irish people who did a poll said they want summer time all year round. Farmers in Ireland also want summer time all year for the longer nights

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/majority-of-irish-people-favour-year-round-summer-time-as-eu-to-vote-on-clock-change-908819.html

Longer nights? 

Posted

Last week certainly saw a marked change in light levels, thanks to the clear skies.. alas we have been brought back down with a bump and recent evenings have been dark with lights being switched on before 6pm, indeed Sat and Sunday evening around 6pm felt very wintry still..

The outlook promises more of  a wintry dark edge to things still, and we await the end of the month before we can shrug off that feeling in earnest. 

Posted

our clocks went forward at the weekends..sunrise is now back to after 8am which is late as it is at Christmas in the UK..quite depressing going into work in the morning and its dark again

Posted

I see the clocks aren't going forward until 30 March. That is an awful lot of wasted early morning daylight while like this evening it is already getting murky at 6pm. We really should post Brexit align ourselves with the USA and Canada and make the change in the second weekend of March.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

I see the clocks aren't going forward until 30 March. That is an awful lot of wasted early morning daylight while like this evening it is already getting murky at 6pm. We really should post Brexit align ourselves with the USA and Canada and make the change in the second weekend of March.

doesn't make the days any longer or shorter though

Posted
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:53, cheeky_monkey said:

doesn't make the days any longer or shorter though

Point taken but I'm only talking a small adjustment for the two or three weeks In March where we have 12 hours of daylight plus an hour of twilight.