Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

If it's true they are thinking of stopping daylight saving, AGAIN?? Does no one remember the early 70s when they did it... and it didn't work!! So WHY should it now, just a thought

Ps I was about 6 or 7 at the time, so that would be 72/73... they did it stop accidents at school time ( starting time/finishing time ) it actually created more accidents, if those who remember, remember it

Edited by law of averages
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

If it's true they are thinking of stopping daylight saving, AGAIN?? Does no remember the early 70s when they did it... and it didn't work!! So WHY should it now, just a thought

Ps I was about 6 or 7 at the time, so that would be 72/73... they did it stop accidents at school time ( starting time/finishing time ) it actually created more accidents, if those who remember, remember it

Don't know why this appeared... lol

Edited by law of averages

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Just hoping for some milder days in February.  I'd say from mid-February onwards is when the Sun starts to have some warmth to it and can make even a 12C day feel warm if the winds are light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
38 minutes ago, Evening Star said:

Just hoping for some milder days in February.  I'd say from mid-February onwards is when the Sun starts to have some warmth to it and can make even a 12C day feel warm if the winds are light.

Its mild now,winter should be winter lol

Posted

Sunset is the right side of 4pm here now and mornings have started to get lighter as well.

It's a painful slog but the changing daylight hours do start to become noticeable by the end of January. Just want it to be Spring already...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Can someone smarter than I explain why the difference is becoming very noticeable when in reality there's only about a minute and a half difference? 

How much longer is the day now since the solstice?

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Can someone smarter than I explain why the difference is becoming very noticeable when in reality there's only about a minute and a half difference? 

How much longer is the day now since the solstice?

It's only 7 or 8 minutes longer so I'd be surprised if you are genuinely noticing it.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's only 7 or 8 minutes longer so I'd be surprised if you are genuinely noticing it.

I know, which I find it weird! Lots of people have mentioned it. Unless it's a case of placebo effect.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I know, which I find it weird! Lots of people have mentioned it. Unless it's a case of placebo effect.

Was about to suggest the same. Weirdly, I thought the same yesterday myself. Having said that, sunsets are about 10 minutes later now so perhaps we are noticing it a little?

It all depends on the weather too. Having a clear evening will mean it stays lighter for longer than a gloomy one where it's dark half an hour before sunset.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The sunset is a good 10-15 mins later; it was earliest about 10-16 Dec. Sunrise has only just turned though (latest in last week of Dec); it stays after 8am here until the last week of Jan. The later sunsets are starting to become noticeable especially when it's clear (there is still a bit of light on the horizon at 5 now).

It's all down to the equation of time (solar noon, when the sun is due south, doesn't quite correspond with 1200 GMT). Regarding the clocks changing, if you look at the equation of time we get it all wrong. Solar noon is earliest in late Oct/early Nov, and latest in Feb. So we put them back just when sunset is already made earlier relative to clock time, and miss the chance to get a boost from it by putting them forward in February.

Posted

Well hopefully the clocks will stop going back and forth and we can be on the time where we have the most evening light.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Well hopefully the clocks will stop going back and forth and we can be on the time where we have the most evening light.

Completely disagree I'm afraid. Perhaps we could bring the clocks forward earlier than late March but the idea of BST all year round, or worse, BST winter and BST +1 in summer are ridiculous. BST in winter would mean it's dark until well gone 9am in the mornings in December/January, while BST +1 in summer would mean it's light until about 11pm. 

I don't really get what people would do with extra evening light in the middle of December to be honest. What are people really going to be doing until 5pm rather than 4pm? The weather is crap half the time and most people would still be in work anyway.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.
On 30/12/2018 at 17:45, Law of averages!! said:

If it's true they are thinking of stopping daylight saving, AGAIN?? Does no one remember the early 70s when they did it... and it didn't work!! So WHY should it now, just a thought

The European Commission undertook a public consultation last year about stopping all clock changes. Public opinion was overwhelmingly in favour of remaining on a single time zone year round (although over 80% of responses were from Germany). The Commussion believes that clock changes damage human health. 

So the Commission told EU states that it wanted to stop clock changes from October 2019, and states needed to decide what time zone they wanted to be on permanently. 

EU states have however pushed back, asking for more time to consult and decide. Consequently the Commission's plans to stop clock changes are on hold, at least until 2020.

The UK government has however said that it has no plans to stop changing clocks, and outside the EU the Commission has no jurisdiction over UK time. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Completely disagree I'm afraid. Perhaps we could bring the clocks forward earlier than late March but the idea of BST all year round, or worse, BST winter and BST +1 in summer are ridiculous. BST in winter would mean it's dark until well gone 9am in the mornings in December/January, while BST +1 in summer would mean it's light until about 11pm. 

I don't really get what people would do with extra evening light in the middle of December to be honest. What are people really going to be doing until 5pm rather than 4pm? The weather is crap half the time and most people would still be in work anyway.

I think I'm getting myself mixed up With which one I mean.

But either way I'd prefer scrapping DST.

Posted
18 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Sunset is the right side of 4pm here now and mornings have started to get lighter as well.

It's a painful slog but the changing daylight hours do start to become noticeable by the end of January. Just want it to be Spring already...

Still seems a long way off. The winter vibe doesn’t really leave me until we hit March.

Posted
2 hours ago, Borei said:

The European Commission undertook a public consultation last year about stopping all clock changes. Public opinion was overwhelmingly in favour of remaining on a single time zone year round (although over 80% of responses were from Germany). The Commussion believes that clock changes damage human health. 

So the Commission told EU states that it wanted to stop clock changes from October 2019, and states needed to decide what time zone they wanted to be on permanently. 

EU states have however pushed back, asking for more time to consult and decide. Consequently the Commission's plans to stop clock changes are on hold, at least until 2020.

The UK government has however said that it has no plans to stop changing clocks, and outside the EU the Commission has no jurisdiction over UK time. 

Thanks for the posting :hi:, it's good they're not thinking of doing it again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I like how quickly the afternoons lighten up now we are through Christmas and new year. You pick up 1-2 minutes of light per afternoon....and go from a 4pm sunset at the start of the month to 4:45pm by the end. A nice cold spell too would be ideal!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I like how quickly the afternoons lighten up now we are through Christmas and new year. You pick up 1-2 minutes of light per afternoon....and go from a 4pm sunset at the start of the month to 4:45pm by the end. A nice cold spell too would be ideal!

Gaining over 2 minutes per day from tomorrow here.

Posted

Clear skies make the world of difference at this time year in terms of light levels. Yesterday and today being a case in point - yesterday brought overcast skies, and it was a never late dawn, miserable start to the first Monday in January - added to the general gloom, and it got dark very quickly as well, conversely today we had clear skies and it dawned a good 30 minutes earlier in terms of light, and this evening was much lighter.

Thankfully we are not in a gloom ridden anticyclonic spell or under constant low cloud westerlies and southwesterlies. I remember Jan 2009 and 2010 being excellent months for sunshine thanks to the polar airstreams and it made early-mid Jan much more appealing than usual, compared to 2012 for instance which was a shocker for sunshine at the start at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The full moon is helping out with that S.S.!

Well I'm noting the claw back of daylight now. Soon be 7pm twilight then on into a scorching Summer and never dropping below Nautical twilight!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I hate how quickly we lose the early dusks and short days.  I wish spring could be delayed by another month, somehow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, storms

Noticed this the other night when it was clear, always amazes me how light it stays around the Summer solstice to the north.