Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
19 hours ago, Lauren said:

As soon as the sunsets start getting later it feels like a turning point for me. I know it's psychological, but it gives me a boost so I don't care!

I’m afraid I’m one of those in the negative camp. I just wish for March after New Year’s Day. January and February are depressing months.

The increase in daylight does nothing for me until we get closer to spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Personally I hope we keep things as they are as regards putting the clocks back/forward  At the end of the day you can't change our position on the globe ,and what you think you are gaining with one hand you lose with the other  It certainly would'nt do Scotland any favours. I  can recall the last time they tried it between 1968 and 71 ,if it had been any good they would have carried on with it.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

They'll be put back 50-years, at the end of Smarch, anywho!:yahoo:

I've already dug out my Kipper tie and flares  Pete, mnd you, I would probably look as bg a tw......t  in them now as I did back then.:oldgrin:

Hope you are keeping  well.

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

its 8.30am and its pitch black outside...roll on summer 

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its 8.30am and its pitch black outside...roll on summer 

2019 will be a damp cool one. Someone I know told me it’s going to be a complete reverse of what 2018 gave us.

Early May warmth will give way to a cool cloudy June, cold and cloudy July, and thundery and cool august. One or two hot spells between mid June and mid August, but it will be duller and cooler than usual.

People will be already discussing the countdown to winter by late June 2019

9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

2019 will be a damp cool one. Someone I know told me it’s going to be a complete reverse of what 2018 gave us.

Early May warmth will give way to a cool cloudy June, cold and cloudy July, and thundery and cool august. One or two hot spells between mid June and mid August, but it will be duller and cooler than usual.

People will be already discussing the countdown to winter by late June 2019

As we live in a maritime temperate climate  cool damp summers ,mild damp winters etc ,nowt unusual in that prediction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
11 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

As we live in a maritime temperate climate  cool damp summers ,mild damp winters etc ,nowt unusual in that prediction

i don't so hot and sunny here..ta

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

In short, crap weather all round. 

I think the worst combination is when we have a mild winter and a cool damp summer to follow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Sadly longer days from now on....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Welcome to the shortest day. Onwards and upwards now to the best period of the year.

Haha, every year like clockwork lol.

It's {hopefully) a long time until it gets warmer but it will get slowly lighter as it does every year, and then it'll get darker again, and then lighter again, and then darker again ad infinitum...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

For me, it always seems to go really fast up until Christmas, as there's something to look forward to. So, whilst I'm happy the Solstice is here and we can start looking forward to the clocks going forward, there's just nothing to look forward to until then really, so it tends to drag.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Backtrack said:

For me, it always seems to go really fast up until Christmas, as there's something to look forward to. So, whilst I'm happy the Solstice is here and we can start looking forward to the clocks going forward, there's just nothing to look forward to until then really, so it tends to drag.

That’s how I see it. Once we hit New Year’s Day, the next thing to look forward to is March 1st, which still feels like a long way off. Even then weather can be still miserable, but once in March, I always feel more positive that spring is actually coming.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Today is the day!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 hours ago, simshady said:

Haha, every year like clockwork lol.

It's {hopefully) a long time until it gets warmer but it will get slowly lighter as it does every year, and then it'll get darker again, and then lighter again, and then darker again ad infinitum...

Yeah and thankfully I can't see next Summer being as long and hot as the last. This is the UK after all. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I know there's not even a minute difference yet, but it genuinely felt like I noticed the later sunset today. There's a lot to be said for psychology of perception!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I know there's not even a minute difference yet, but it genuinely felt like I noticed the later sunset today. There's a lot to be said for psychology of perception!

Seems days starting to get longer noticed it myself mornings still obviously dark though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Baby steps in the right direction we'll certainly be noticing the difference over the next 2 to 4 weeks

Posted

Morning light has now reached its bottom level as well - and we see an ever slow increase in levels over the next 2 weeks, but you barely notice it - the first week of Jan always feels the 'darkest' to me - especially when everyone starts taking down christmas lights - they should leave them on through January to brighten things up. Here we keep our 'winter lights' in the village on well into February and it cheers the place up.

Alas, evenings are slowly starting to draw out a little now, you notice more so on calm clear days, and thankfully the next few days will see lots of clear skies so we will benefit from maximum light levels. I remember back to 2012 I think it was, and we had a run of 10 sunless days from 1-10 Jan - utterly depressing stuff..

Easter though is very very late this year, nearly 4 months to go - it could be a long winter for some, despite March being as light as mid Sept-mid October, it can and often does feel like winter still here in the north.

I still think we should all hibernate in January. New Year should be 1 Feb or even 1 March, far more in keeping with the feel of things - lets celebrate a period of year devoid of any interest - our mood levels plummet from the 2 January.. a celebration later in the winter would be far better, something to look forward too, New Year comes too soon after christmas. Chinese have got it right!

Edited by damianslaw