Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
12 hours ago, Aleman said:

I've just realised I have not reset my central heating clock amongst the multitude that now come with modern electronic devices. It's a pain in the weeble. I'd like to get rid of changing clocks. There are too many. If it saves childrens lives, just stick to GMT or GMT+1 or GMT +1.3333, or whichever is safest! Sod changing loads of clocks twice a year and forgetting about some of them and having some people turning up at the wrong time for football matches/meetings/whatever. Why should some folks lose an hour for birthdays and some gain? Get rid!

Edit - Pain in the "weeble"? LOL. I did not know we had euphematic on this site! It missed out "sod", though, which is worse.

Sodding euphematic!

lol, Aleman, I agree about the clocks. 

I spent ages yesterday morning, fiddling with the clocks on the electronic stuff in the kitchen and the method to reset them was not exactly intuitive. Not long after success I had a brief power-cut which sent them all back into a spin again. :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Clock don't go back here until next Sunday..so for a week i'm only 6 hours behind the UK

Posted

Roll on March 1st please. I hate the November to late Feb period of the year. Long dark evenings, and even when it starts to get lighter after Christmas, it’s still rather miserable and dark too early.

The only good thing about this time of year, is the air feels fresher. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Roll on March 1st please. I hate the November to late Feb period of the year. Long dark evenings, and even when it starts to get lighter after Christmas, it’s still rather miserable and dark too early.

The only good thing about this time of year, is the air feels fresher. 

not if you are sat on the tube 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely time of year. Dark early and cool, cosy nights. What's not to like. :)  

• Like 4

Posted
14 hours ago, simshady said:

Lovely time of year. Dark early and cool, cosy nights. What's not to like. :)  

The freezing cold commute to and from work in the dark.

The relentless gun-metal grey skies and lack of sunlight.

The dangerous road conditions.

The cessation of a number of outdoor activities.

Not having any light in the evening to do anything outside.

Increase in violent crime during extended dark hours.

The increased heating bills when I'm already poor as it is.

The mud.

The reliance on artificial light gives me headaches.

We're about to enter into a period of relentless fireworks until New Years Eve.

Christmas.

Christmas lasting 2 months.

That awful "Stop the Cavalry" song.

If a snow-grain falls anywhere in the South of England, it gives South Western Railway an excuse to shut down their service.

Now let me finish by saying I do like certain things about Winter and I hope it snows on the run up to Christmas to make it feel festive, but January and February can absolutely do one when they get here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mostly clear
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Treason. I bet you have a problem with Fairytale of New York too?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Fortune's Fool said:

Treason. I bet you have a problem with Fairytale of New York too?

I like Fairytale of New York - especially on Christmas Eve when everyone is drunk down the pub. There's something about that Cavalry song and Simply having a wonderful Christmas time that i cannot stand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Jeez. It's miser's not-so-anonymous in here :D

We had a very warm and long summer, I'm sure you can all manage it being dark for a bit ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
19 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not if you are sat on the tube 

Are you trying to spoil my day lol?

Yes, it’s not very nice on the tube trains, but it’s far worse in the summer. Anything plus 24c, and the underground network becomes a furnace. So from that standpoint, I’m kind of glad we lost the heat. 

But, the lack of daylight and longer sunny days, are now very limited until next spring, which does feel like a lifetime away.

Posted

The countdown to the winter solstice has begun in my head though, 'only' 8 weeks away now. And evenings start to get lighter (very slowly at first) from about 7 weeks from now. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

The mud.

Christmas.

If a snow-grain falls anywhere in the South of England, it gives South Western Railway an excuse to shut down their service.

Now let me finish by saying I do like certain things about Winter and I hope it snows on the run up to Christmas to make it feel festive, but January and February can absolutely do one when they get here.

I actually like Stop the Calvary, but I get fed up if I here it the Christmas songs from mid November, or end of this week in the coffee shops. 

The christmas song I can’t stand is Stay Another Day. God awful.

Anyway, I’m with you on the whole thing about winter. It’s the worst period of the year. March seems like a long way off.

Posted
48 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

The countdown to the winter solstice has begun in my head though, 'only' 8 weeks away now. And evenings start to get lighter (very slowly at first) from about 7 weeks from now. 

That doesn’t really make any impact, until you enter the middle of Feb, and even then it’s still pretty dark by 6pm. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

I like Fairytale of New York - especially on Christmas Eve when everyone is drunk down the pub. There's something about that Cavalry song and Simply having a wonderful Christmas time that i cannot stand.

Perhaps it’s that deadpan humour and the ‘I can’t be asked’ attitude to celebrating Christmas in the song. He’s missing his wife and there’s a war going on.

Plus, doesn’t it make a reference to the atmosphere at the time around 1980, when tensions were high between the US and Soviet Union. There’s a subtle nod to nuclear war. So maybe it’s a bit of a downer for some.

Fairytale is good, and I have to admit I do like Last Christmas and Driving Home by Chris Rea.

Shoot me now, lol. 

Posted

I must be the complete opposite as I enjoy winter, if you're cold outside then you're not wearing the right clothing is what the Scandinavians say. I bought myself a nice double-fleece layered/waterproof jacket for £160 that has kept me cosy as opposed to wearing hoodies just to "look" cool, people complaining outside the pub this weekend just gone that it's "too cold" when it below-freezing temperatures and all they're wearing a a summer sweatshirt. 

The weather is good for photographers with often clearer airmasses allowing for more scenic pictures, I was up at Crich Tramway Village yesterday overlooking the Sherwood Foresters memorial and could see as far as Loughborough. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

The mud.

Christmas.

How dare you. Stop The Cavalry is an absolute banger. 

But fully agree with you on everything else.

Only other positive is you can make the house cosy and nicely lit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That damned Wham song's the one that gets me all peaced off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

War Is Over grinds my gears.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Oh come on it’s nearly Christmas....what’s not to like? Love this time of year, Nov-Dec is brilliant! All the lights, music, shoppers, exited kids plus the prospect of snow...fantastic!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Alright that's enough on Christmas songs :D

It's now at the time of year where I go to bed in the dark and wake up in the dark when doing nights, will have to get some Vitamin D supplements. Today is the first time I've seen daylight since Saturday. Love this time of year though.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I must be the complete opposite as I enjoy winter, if you're cold outside then you're not wearing the right clothing is what the Scandinavians say. I bought myself a nice double-fleece layered/waterproof jacket for £160 that has kept me cosy as opposed to wearing hoodies just to "look" cool, people complaining outside the pub this weekend just gone that it's "too cold" when it below-freezing temperatures and all they're wearing a a summer sweatshirt. 

The weather is good for photographers with often clearer airmasses allowing for more scenic pictures, I was up at Crich Tramway Village yesterday overlooking the Sherwood Foresters memorial and could see as far as Loughborough. 

2 hours ago, Bobd29 said:

Oh come on it’s nearly Christmas....what’s not to like? Love this time of year, Nov-Dec is brilliant! All the lights, music, shoppers, exited kids plus the prospect of snow...fantastic!

No, the Slade one is the one I really can’t stand. I prefer Noel’s version

Posted

I just hope this winter produces another snowy event like Beast Feb/ March 2018, or even December 2010. A mild damp winter will just be torture. I think that’s why I hated winter so much between 97-2008

Posted
22 hours ago, simshady said:

Lovely time of year. Dark early and cool, cosy nights. What's not to like.   

The darkness is the main thing. I’ll admit, it’s nice to sit and relax in a cosy flat and chill out with the heating on. There’s a sense of isolation in winter, but the lack of light can affect people.