Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Despicable Weather said:

Care to inform us as to what those hours of daylight are Ed?

During Winter it's daylight between 8am and 4pm ish! Are you talking about nocturnal habits and do you have a thing against shift workers/nocturnal people or whatever?

What a silly response! Why must everyone who has an opinion (either way) have 'a thing against' anyone?:help:

Posted

Quite frankly, I'm relieved the clocks have returned to 'normal'. My internal bodyclock has sighed a huge relief and that obviously makes for a more comfortable time until the madness of jumping forward of an hour at end of March when 'they' say 'Oooh let's 'ave it' and jump forward 

Was good to hear our Michael Fish forecast this week and he says GMT is normal clock too 

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9213-michael-fish-first-cold-plunge-of-the-season-has-arrived

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Some of the arguments used to keep to BST all year I find questionable.

As for ROSPA, Paul Simon's in his weather eye Times article made this point. Driving laws were toughened up just before the 1968-71 BST experiment. Drink driving and the breathalyser were introduced, so how much did that have an impact on less accidents occuring during that period rather than keeping to BST all year? 

It should be simple enough to find out: if the reduction in accidents were due to changes to drink-driving legislation (and not to year-round BST) there'd have been no trend-reversal, post 1971?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What a silly response! Why must everyone who has an opinion (either way) have 'a thing against' anyone?:help:

So just the usual then, no answer to question :D you twist words with every response that don't suit you :D

I asked a question in response to you, What Hours ' sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me.' ?

Yet you give no answer and attack me, kinda what you do though eh lol

• Like 2

Posted

You seem to have not read my words: to me? Just because I'd prefer to see all-year BST, doesn't mean that I have 'a thing against' anyone...It means that I'd prefer to see all-year BST. Nothing more.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It should be simple enough to find out: if the reduction in accidents were due to changes to drink-driving legislation (and not to year-round BST) there'd have been no trend-reversal, post 1971?

Trend has been going down generally  since the peak of 1966, the reason why driving laws were toughened up. It wasn't just drink drive laws being introduced, safe driving were promoted for the first time. Also the official lollipop man and woman were introduced as part of that regulation. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Never has bothered me in the slightest. Changing the clocks was just something you do, I never heard my parents moan about it, I'm very used to going to the work in the dark 4am/5am shifts, and it was just about getting dark at 4pm if it happened to be a cloudy/rainy day. I like the lighter evenings, would often take advantage sitting in the pub garden. 

For me to say I don't want the clocks to change would be because of laziness. 

Posted

This old argument again! 

The biggest argument for me, and the only one that really matters to me, is the safety of children. As a farther of two school aged children, I'd much rather keep things as they are. Safety first, all your personal preferences are far far down the list.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Trend has been going down generally  since the peak of 1966, the reason why driving laws were toughened up. It wasn't just drink drive laws being introduced, safe driving were promoted for the first time. Also the official lollipop man and woman were introduced as part of that regulation. 

Then there was an increase (against the prevailing trend) in fatal accidents involving schoolchildren during the '68-'71 experiment...? And IMO, that increase is the only piece of data that suits my side of the argument; the rest is, as I've already said, all down to personal preference...

So why not just put it a vote and be done with it?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

This old argument again! 

The biggest argument for me, and the only one that really matters to me, is the safety of children. As a farther of two school aged children, I'd much rather keep things as they are. Safety first, all your personal preferences are far far down the list.

Then you should read the proper analysis of the ROSPA report...

Posted
39 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You seem to have not read my words: to me? Just because I'd prefer to see all-year BST, doesn't mean that I have 'a thing against' anyone...It means that I'd prefer to see all-year BST. Nothing more.

Oh I read your words and you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are. However,you fail to explain and so I ask again what do you mean?

"sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me."

Surely 1 hour makes no difference if you feel that way.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Despicable Weather said:

Oh I read your words and you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are. However,you fail to explain and so I ask again what do you mean?

"sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me."

Surely 1 hour makes no difference if you feel that way.

I think we ought to just leave it now. Don't you? However each of us two feels, it's nae the end of the world?

Peace!:drinks:

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think we ought to just leave it now. Don't you? However each of us two feels, it's nae the end of the world?

Peace!:drinks:

Ahh of course it's not the end of the world, we may feel different and that's cool and dandy, I was only looking for an answer to my curiosity of what you said and you wanna stay scchtum! lol No hard feelings here mate. Slainte :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, the biannual clocks changing debate...my twopence worth is that I do not mind the clocks going back now, but I really wish they would be put back forward a few weeks earlier in March. I feel like we waste a lot of evening light then which would benefit the majority of the population.

For example, when the clocks go forward again in March 2019, sunrise/sunset will be:

Southampton - 05:46/18:34

London - 05:41/18:29

Manchester - 05:48/18:40

Edinburgh - 05:49/18:46

Aberdeen - 05:54/18:43

Do that many kids set off for school before 6am? (Admittedly 2019 is stupid because the last weekend of March is the 30th/31st, but still, sunrise is close to 7am in Aberdeen even in early March).

Anyway, I really do hate this time of year and find it very depressing with the lack of light, especially when the inevitable zonal fest shows up by November and we get hit by a never ending conveyor of low pressure systems and the sun disappears for 4 months. My advice is to make the most of the sun when it does appear, get outside and make the most of it rather than being glued to a screen on here looking at computer models of weather which may or not actually occur.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Then there was an increase (against the prevailing trend) in fatal accidents involving schoolchildren during the '68-'71 experiment...? And IMO, that increase is the only piece of data that suits my side of the argument; the rest is, as I've already said, all down to personal preference...

So why not just put it a vote and be done with it?

Was there? 

Why are you assuming that? I said the trend was generally down, the reason why I said that is that very recently it has gone slightly up.

Killed_on_British_Roads.png

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The ROSPA report is based on evidence from 50 years ago. The world has changed an awful lot since then. Welcome back, GMT, proper time!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

Ah, the biannual clocks changing debate...my twopence worth is that I do not mind the clocks going back now, but I really wish they would be put back forward a few weeks earlier in March. I feel like we waste a lot of evening light then which would benefit the majority of the population.

For example, when the clocks go forward again in March 2019, sunrise/sunset will be:

Southampton - 05:46/18:34

London - 05:41/18:29

Manchester - 05:48/18:40

Edinburgh - 05:49/18:46

Aberdeen - 05:54/18:43

Do that many kids set off for school before 6am? (Admittedly 2019 is stupid because the last weekend of March is the 30th/31st, but still, sunrise is close to 7am in Aberdeen even in early March).

Anyway, I really do hate this time of year and find it very depressing with the lack of light, especially when the inevitable zonal fest shows up by November and we get hit by a never ending conveyor of low pressure systems and the sun disappears for 4 months. My advice is to make the most of the sun when it does appear, get outside and make the most of it rather than being glued to a screen on here looking at computer models of weather which may or not actually occur.

Have to agree,why do we have to wait until the end of March? It is only 6 weeks until the evenings get to their shortest so the other side to that would mean changing the clocks forward in the last week of January!

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Have to agree,why do we have to wait until the end of March? It is only 6 weeks until the evenings get to their shortest so the other side to that would mean changing the clocks forward in the last week of January!

Me too. It would make my SAD symptoms go away sooner...

Anywho, here's what ROSPA does say:

https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/road-users/british-summertime-fact-sheet/

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
54 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The ROSPA report is based on evidence from 50 years ago. The world has changed an awful lot since then. Welcome back, GMT, proper time!

True on both counts, Nick - but the most basic consideration, in all this, has not changed at all: the way in which progressively reducing light-levels affect the human visual system is a constant...

Posted

I think it's just fine the way it is personally and as the old adage goes ' if it ain't broke don't fix it'. It can't be argued that GMT is the real time though as noon and midnight actually coincide with 12pm and 12am respectively then, rather than 1pm and 1am. Although I'm sure many might still refer to those terms at 12 and 12 even when we use BST, which of course would be incorrect. I know some people argue for BST all year round but if I was to choose between one or the other I'd rather choose GMT for the whole year. If people find it a problem we could just have all our daily activities arranged an hour earlier than we usually would. After all that's all we effectively force ourselves to do when we switch to BST anyway, it's just we all collectively pretend it's an hour later than it actually is, is all, so what's the difference. It's not as though we actually change the speed of the speed of the Earth's  actual rotation. It must be stressed again that BST is the pretend time here as well. As I said at the beginning of my post though I'm fine really with the way we currently arrange it. Although I do sometimes wonder why our use of GMT and BST aren't equal. Maybe it would be fairer to adopt GMT in late September or alternatively hold off from switching to BST until late April. Another idea would be to use BST from the 1st March to the 31st August (Spring/Summer) and GMT from the 1st September to the 28th/29th February (Autumn/Winter). That way we would have an equal 6 months of each rather than the 7 months of BST and only 5 of GMT we currently use. 

Posted

Spared a sudden early plunge into darkness that can occur the day after clocks go back - thanks to clear skies, which enabled light to linger until about 5.15 pm, alas a wet cloudy overcast sky results in rapid light loss setting in around half 4.

Clear skies make the world of difference. Mild westerlies equal early sudden descents into dark..

Posted

I've just realised I have not reset my central heating clock amongst the multitude that now come with modern electronic devices. It's a pain in the weeble. I'd like to get rid of changing clocks. There are too many. If it saves childrens lives, just stick to GMT or GMT+1 or GMT +1.3333, or whichever is safest! Sod changing loads of clocks twice a year and forgetting about some of them and having some people turning up at the wrong time for football matches/meetings/whatever. Why should some folks lose an hour for birthdays and some gain? Get rid!

Edit - Pain in the "weeble"? LOL. I did not know we had euphematic on this site! It missed out "sod", though, which is worse.

Sodding euphematic!

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And that's me wide awake an hour earlier than necessary on a work day. Thanks DST!