Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well it’s not sunrise now for another hour and a quarter (635am this morning). But the sunsets are galloping now, 1955 tonight. But when put into context that my next late on the 14th sunset will be 1929hrs here- we are getting towards the autumn equinox then :) 

Posted

Hate this time of year,  the daylight is diminishing at an increasing rate until the autumn equinox so you can really notice it but on the other hand it is an age until the winter solstice and even longer until things start to pick up in the spring :(

I cycle to work so not looking forward to the night riding season either,  it's not fun.

Posted
9 hours ago, simshady said:

Could really notice it being dark by 8,30 tonight. Lovely.

Depressing. Although was nice to see the clear skies and it was still warm, but these days will be in short supply soon.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Stop the clock: Morocco ditches time change - and Europe could soon follow

Winter may be coming, but Morocco has decided to stop marking the changing of the seasons by turning back its clocks.

As millions of people around the world prepare for an extra hour of sleep this weekend (or one more episode of your current Netflix series of choice), the north African nation has instead abandoned the concept of clock changes and chosen to stick to summer time all year round.

The Moroccan government said the decision to stay on GMT+1 would save an extra hour of natural light and reduce electricity consumption

It is a move that could be soon replicated in plenty of other countries, with the EU consulting on a proposal to abandon the practice from 2019.

https://news.sky.com/story/stop-the-clock-morocco-ditches-time-change-and-europe-could-soon-follow-11536978

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't think there's a point to it any more. Time to scrap it, I think.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I don't think there's a point to it any more. Time to scrap it, I think.

worse time of the year ever

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Absolutely hate waking up in the dark and coming home in the dark. So depressing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

But in the month of december for example it won't be getting bright till  about 9 am in my neck of the woods if 'summer time' is used all year round and as for Scotland  what 10am +? Is 'winter time' not the real standard time anyway? 'summer time' was only used for the first time during ww1.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A guy sent a text to the radio last night saying that, should we stop putting the clocks back, Autumn leaves will lose their colours...

But, at the end of the day, does it really matter? 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
21 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Stop the clock: Morocco ditches time change - and Europe could soon follow

https://news.sky.com/story/stop-the-clock-morocco-ditches-time-change-and-europe-could-soon-follow-11536978

Morocco is further south and as a consequence is subject to less variation in length of daylight between winter and summer.

"The Moroccan government said the decision to stay on GMT+1 would save an extra hour of natural light."

It won't save an extra hour of natural light, you will still have the same amount of daylight. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

For here not changing the clock back would mean darkness until about 930am in the morning. For me it doesn't seem right especially for small kids going to school...

What about the thousands or millions of kids who live in Oslo, Stockholm & Helsinki? They just get on with it and seem fine. Why can't British kids cope with a bit of aggro? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

I must be the exception I love the dark evenings, and the dark crisp mornings, I love Autumn/Winter and this is an essential ingredient for me! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Why not have a compromise  and move  the clocks forward half an hour in March and leave it that way. Or would that be a bit pointless. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

What about the thousands or millions of kids who live in Oslo, Stockholm & Helsinki? They just get on with it and seem fine. Why can't British kids cope with a bit of aggro? 

They not exactly got much choice, they are even further north, therefore have even shorter days 

Posted

GMT is the correct time.

Many people in the UK get ruffled and 'demand' that we stay on BST but why is that? SAD sufferers? I get that but those same people don't give a hoot to the people that it would affect adversely. Children have the right within the UK to be making the trek to school in daylight, getting up and going to work in darkness is not only a pain in the ass but something that those same children will grow into. Give them a break hey?!

Kids in Scandi are adapted because they have a lifetime of even worse conditions when they leave school and enter the working life! There is no comparison because we are in the UK and they are in their own domain and lifestyle in Scandi.

Edited by Despicable Weather

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

They not exactly got much choice, they are even further north, therefore have even shorter days 

Well we should be able to cope with the longer daylight then. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Well we should be able to cope with the longer daylight then. 

Agree, we should be more adaptable but I don't agree with keeping with BST all year. Just for the sun to set at 5pm rather than 4pm during December? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Agree, we should be more adaptable but I don't agree with keeping with BST all year. Just for the sun to set at 5pm rather than 4pm during December? 

It's obviously not ideal as Gtr Manchester is still a bit of a way North (similar to Hamburg) but could be worse. I think Shetland is about as far North as Helsinki but there's a damn sight more people in both Oslo & Helsinki. So the lack of daylight will affect far less people in the more remote parts of the UK. I think with the mass rollout of LED streetlights and on cars things are a lot brighter at night and first thing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Personally, I'd be happy if we kept to BST throughout the year, as far fewer kiddies lost their lives during the 'experiment' than outside it...See ROSPA...? I'd also prefer to have an hour of sunlight available at a time when folks are up and about and able to benefit; sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me.

It is, however, largely down to individuals' choices (schoolchildren excepted) - so why not have a once-and-for-all referendum, and settle the matter for good?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Personally, I'd be happy if we kept to BST throughout the year, as far fewer kiddies lost their lives during the 'experiment' than outside it...See ROSPA...? I'd also prefer to have an hour of sunlight available at a time when folks are up and about and able to benefit; sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me.

It is, however, largely down to individuals' choices (schoolchildren excepted) - so why not have a once-and-for-all referendum, and settle the matter for good?

Some of the arguments used to keep to BST all year I find questionable.

What is the biggest factor that determines outdoor activities in this country? The weather. not when the sun sets. You get a beautiful late winter day eg mid February 1998, people will venture out, they won't venture out because the sun sets an hour later if its 90mph gale and driving rain.

As for ROSPA, Paul Simon's in his weather eye Times article made this point. Driving laws were toughened up just before the 1968-71 BST experiment. Drink driving and the breathalyser were introduced, so how much did that have an impact on less accidents occuring during that period rather than keeping to BST all year? 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

sleeping during daylight seems a somewhat fruitless pursuit, to me.

Care to inform us as to what those hours of daylight are Ed?

During Winter it's daylight between 8am and 4pm ish! Are you talking about nocturnal habits and do you have a thing against shift workers/nocturnal people or whatever?

• Like 1