Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, markyo said:

Interesting view,higher drug abuse is down to Winter weather......And why a tanned complexion is better is purely down to vanity. Most who work in hot environments avoid exposing their skin to the sun and avoid the hottest parts of the day. Also Tan or not when you are sick you look sick,having a burnt skin makes no difference.

They avoid the hottest part of the day but don't avoid the sun entirely, makes sense since in hot countries UV levels can exceed 13. That's a whole other level to what we get in the UK. You don't realise how weak the sun in the UK is until you spend some time in countries closer to the equator. 

Anyway, nobody is doubting the damage the sun can do - but the positive impacts of sunny weather, more so on people's mood and mental well-being, are well documented. It really does make a difference. People just feel happier when the sun is shining.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yep, tanning is not healthy at all.

Getting sunburnt is not healthy, daily short exposure to sunlight is beneficial though.

As with all things in life its about striking a balance, the pros and cons if you like.

All  things in moderation as the saying goes.

And its now dark!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
40 minutes ago, cheese said:

but the positive impacts of sunny weather, more so on people's mood and mental well-being,

I agree totally but in moderation,no need to tan(burn your skin) though to gain the health benefits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Anyway, individual preference and all that - nothing wrong with liking the shorter days but most of us are not looking forward to it, some of us dreading it, and some of us are booking our winter holidays as we speak to get away! The older I get, the more intolerant I become of our dark, dreary winters. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
30 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree totally but in moderation,no need to tan(burn your skin) though to gain the health benefits.

A slight tan built up  with sensible exposure over time?

Pros and cons again, but some people only feel happy if they have a tan in summer, in this day and age what price would put on happiness ?

Posted
18 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol ,my mother was from France and had Mediterranean  ancestry  so I get my tanning  ability from her

I have a Mediterranean appearance, and tan fairly easily and quickly. But, I always use sun cream, and still burn sometimes when I haven’t used it in the past.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
18 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A slight tan built up  with sensible exposure over time?

Pros and cons again, but some people only feel happy if they have a tan in summer, in this day and age what price would put on happiness ?

It's all about personal choice at the end of the day. Tanning can and does cause skin cancer, much like drinking can cause liver problems, eating too much causes obesity/diabetes etc...people just need to be sensible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's all about personal choice at the end of the day. Tanning can and does cause skin cancer, much like drinking can cause liver problems, eating too much causes obesity/diabetes etc...people just need to be sensible.

I know, Nick: I've had it...

But I bet it wasn't down to a suntan that was gradually built up, over six months, starting in March? The same can hardly be said for the odd week-or-two spent lying on white sand, in either Tenerife or South Devon, though!       

• Thanks 1

Posted

Really noticing the nights drawing in now, the cloud cover at the moment means its darker earlier than should be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

Is it just me or does the summer feel that it's shutting down sooner than normal? Could be the effect of low water levels late spring and early /mid summer but blackberries are well ahead of usual, the swallows have been gathering on the wire for a couple of weeks suggesting they're getting restless to fly south, although some still have young in their nest, I think I heard the other day some have had two broods this year, not sure how usual that is? 

One other unusual thing I noted was that weed in Coniston Water has started to die and float to the surface, which is remarkably early, don't usually see it in those kind of quantities until October... 

Posted
11 hours ago, JeffC said:

Is it just me or does the summer feel that it's shutting down sooner than normal? Could be the effect of low water levels late spring and early /mid summer but blackberries are well ahead of usual, the swallows have been gathering on the wire for a couple of weeks suggesting they're getting restless to fly south, although some still have young in their nest, I think I heard the other day some have had two broods this year, not sure how usual that is? 

One other unusual thing I noted was that weed in Coniston Water has started to die and float to the surface, which is remarkably early, don't usually see it in those kind of quantities until October... 

Physcologically given how early summer weather embedded itself this year, I feel a month ahead of myself, and mother nature has shown some early heat/stress signs, blackberries very early this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Agree, whilst it’s normal now to see Horse Chestnuts die back a bit by Late August, it’s obvious in some other trees this Autumn could well be early. 

As an example the copper beech trees are turning much darker and the same goes for both Plain and some Ash trees (not Ash dieback either). 

I’d say we’re a month ahead here as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

8.30 and only a little light left in the evenings now. Can’t wait until the end of September will be dark by 6.30!

I can feel my mood changing for the better even had to go to the doctors and up my medication for the last month or so, don’t know why summer depresses me but thankfully Autumn is in sight!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

is now dark when i get up for work ..Summer is over...have really enjoyed the light mornings..now they are gone until late April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

My 9pm finishes firmly in the dark now, and last night given the miserable weather, lounge light on from 7pm.

We’re firmly on the slide now. Here we’ll loose nearly 25 mins this week alone and by Sunday it’s dark before 8pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The proposal to stop this March/October clock change is back on the agenda again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45366390

for the EU it is not sure it will be on the agenda for UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
4 minutes ago, Nizzer said:

And let's hope it stays that way.

yep personally I would keep daylight saving as it is ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

for the EU it is not sure it will be on the agenda for UK.

It's going to be a tricky one if it does go ahead because the Republic of Ireland could change which would leave Northern Ireland with little choice really but to change as well that would then potentially leave the two either one hour ahead of behind the rest of the UK

The spokesman refused to speculate on how this scenario would interact with the clocks proposal, amid claims it could leave Belfast an hour ahead or behind London.

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-will-scrap-biannual-clock-changes-says-juncker-11486842

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Ah you know it's September when this old debate gets wheeled out!

No I do not want it dark on gloomy December mornings until gone 9am thank you.

Posted

I instinctively dislike autumn because of the depressing (for me) effect of decay, increasing darkness, imminent cold, ice and snow. However, it is just as gloomy and time wasteful to wish one’s life away by dreaming of the next spring, summer season or whatever, as it makes the years roll past too quickly. Best to try to tolerate, enjoy and adjust to whatever circumstances the weather/season provides.

The most significant  date in my calendar is the winter solstice.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Personally, I find very little about Autumn that's worth enjoying: it's cold, but not cold enough to snow; it's basically just dark, damp and horrible - and the only likeable pastime left to me is counting down the days till the nights start getting shorter again!☔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Could really notice it being dark by 8,30 tonight. Lovely. :)

• Like 3

Posted

On the plus side this time of year it's only (I say only loosely) 15 weeks until December 21st when the days start getting longer again, the difficult part is from Dec 21st up to March when it doesn't feel like there's much daylight returning at all.