Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

It’s starting to become noticeable, now that we’ve reach mid August. I didn’t notice the darker evenings a couple of weeks ago. The mornings and evenings are starting(although very slowly) draw in. 

The cooler and cloudy weather has only made it more obvious. Think, we have about one more month of warm or hot snaps before the cooler theme starts to take hold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Finishing work at 9pm last night it was home and lights on the car and in the flat when I got home

Posted

Yes losing light notably now, especially given the run of grey wet evenings we are having. Curtains firmly drawn and lights on by 9pm, even at 8pm there is a dark feel to things. Certainly feels very different to the heady light evenings from mid May to mid July.

From now until the clocks go back we reach the period of the year when light loss reaches its yearly maxim from day to day - 2 minutes each evening.

Its a reason I am not a fan of August and favour May and June as the best months of the year for overall positive feeling. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s starting to become noticeable, now that we’ve reach mid August. I didn’t notice the darker evenings a couple of weeks ago. The mornings and evenings are starting(although very slowly) draw in. 

The cooler and cloudy weather has only made it more obvious. Think, we have about one more month of warm or hot snaps before the cooler theme starts to take hold.

Yes I find once we get past the equinox in September it does become increasingly difficult to get a proper warm spell. 2011 was an unusual exception though. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
19 hours ago, markyo said:

Those fantastic nights in in front of the fire are just around the corner,can't wait!

SAD sufferers are sharpening their knives as we speak.. 

There was actually a study a few years ago that said the UK is not sunny enough in winter to get healthy vitamin D levels, which doesn't surprise me, and probably explains why so many people in this country have a very pale and unwell complexion. Everyone better stock up on those supplements (if you're not already).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
7 hours ago, cheese said:

There was actually a study a few years ago that said the UK is not sunny enough in winter to get healthy vitamin D levels, which doesn't surprise me, and probably explains why so many people in this country have a very pale and unwell complexion. Everyone better stock up on those supplements (if you're not already).

Yet the SAD sufferers in Summer like myself are just awaiting for lower light levels. My mood has improved over the last month, this Summer has been a real struggle at points. I’ve been lucky this year no real major depression unlike last summer so I’ll take that! 

Come early September I can start to drop down my medication and by October I’ll be happy as Larry!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
7 hours ago, cheese said:

Wow - “so many people in this country have a very pale and unwell complexion” !!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
57 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Wow - “so many people in this country have a very pale and unwell complexion” !!! 

Indeed, I was under the impression that it was an evolutionary adaptation: those with paler skin absorb more UV light leading to greater vitamin D production. Which, of course, makes perfect sense given average UV levels in the UK relative to other European countries.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Indeed, I was under the impression that it was an evolutionary adaptation: those with paler skin absorb more UV light leading to greater vitamin D production. Which, of course, makes perfect sense given average UV levels in the UK relative to other European countries.

Whether it's an evolutionary adaptation or not doesn't make what I said any less true - admittedly the pasty complexion isn't really something you can change but taking vitamin D supplements could stop people looking unwell and ghoulish at times when natural vitamin D is hard to come across (and could also strengthen the immune system and reduce the number of people spluttering, sneezing and wheezing everywhere in winter).

Either that or we all take extended winter holidays to southern Spain. British winters are pretty damn horrible from all perspectives.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, cheese said:

Whether it's an evolutionary adaptation or not doesn't make what I said any less true - admittedly the pasty complexion isn't really something you can change but taking vitamin D supplements could stop people looking unwell and ghoulish at times when natural vitamin D is hard to come across (and could also strengthen the immune system and reduce the number of people spluttering, sneezing and wheezing everywhere in winter).

Either that or we all take extended winter holidays to southern Spain. British winters are pretty damn horrible from all perspectives.

Where do you live ? In a set of zombie apocalypse!:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, philglossop said:

Yet the SAD sufferers in Summer like myself are just awaiting for lower light levels. My mood has improved over the last month, this Summer has been a real struggle at points. I’ve been lucky this year no real major depression unlike last summer so I’ll take that! 

Come early September I can start to drop down my medication and by October I’ll be happy as Larry!

Like you i've really suffered this summer,come mid September my meds should be able to change,for me October can't come quick enough. Feeling so much better already,it's like a weight slowly being lifted off my shoulders,sleep,anxiety everything is slowly improving.

Posted
15 hours ago, cheese said:

SAD occurs in the Summer as well don't forget. Also a tan is skin in a burnt condition,the level just varies,may look good to some but not healthy,that is just a myth. The tan is just a by product of being outside in fresh air,active,that's healthy,the tan is not. Pale does not mean unwell,far from it. Not sure where your getting your info from..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

SAD occurs in the Summer as well don't forget. Also a tan is skin in a burnt condition,the level just varies,may look good to some but not healthy,that is just a myth. The tan is just a by product of being outside in fresh air,active,that's healthy,the tan is not. Pale does not mean unwell,far from it. Not sure where your getting your info from..

Yep, tanning is not healthy at all.

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yes it does, but reverse SAD is much less common. Drug abuse and antidepressant usage is much higher in northern Europe than southern Europe and I'm sure that's related to the long, dark, miserable winters. 

I didn't say tanning was healthy - but obviously a tanned complexion is much more inviting than a pale complexion. As you say, if you have a tan then that is usually indicative that you spend a lot of time being active outdoors. If you're very pale then it usually indicates that you spend all day indoors doing nothing.

Anyway, people tend to look a little paler when they're unwell - again signaling to others that you're sick.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sounds as if we should all start wearing burkas then!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Sounds as if we should all start wearing burkas then!

Well that's the impression you'd get the way some people talk about the sun and how you should avoid it like a vampire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
14 minutes ago, cheese said:

If you're very pale then it usually indicates that you spend all day indoors doing nothing.

A lot of people in this country struggle to get a tan if they go outside; they just burn instead. Many people are wary of their health and as such will stay inside when necessary.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Relativistic said:

A lot of people in this country struggle to get a tan if they go outside; they just burn instead. Many people are wary of their health and as such will stay inside when necessary.

This is true, and my mother is that kind of person. Doesn't apply to most people in my experience though. 

Being safe in the sun is obviously good but it doesn't usually require staying indoors all the time. Avoiding the midday sun maybe.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Or they could have been wearing sun cream ?!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Its funny I tan well though never stopped me getting melanoma  common sense in the sun I guess

You'll be permanently tanned when you're in Cali. Lucky you. 

I tan every year, and my dark brown hair goes a lighter shade too. Always wear sunscreen etc.

Edited by cheese

Posted
32 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes it does, but reverse SAD is much less common. Drug abuse and antidepressant usage is much higher in northern Europe than southern Europe and I'm sure that's related to the long, dark, miserable winters. 

I didn't say tanning was healthy - but obviously a tanned complexion is much more inviting than a pale complexion. As you say, if you have a tan then that is usually indicative that you spend a lot of time being active outdoors. If you're very pale then it usually indicates that you spend all day indoors doing nothing.

Anyway, people tend to look a little paler when they're unwell - again signaling to others that you're sick.

Interesting view,higher drug abuse is down to Winter weather......And why a tanned complexion is better is purely down to vanity. Most who work in hot environments avoid exposing their skin to the sun and avoid the hottest parts of the day. Also Tan or not when you are sick you look sick,having a burnt skin makes no difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheese said:

You'll be permanently tanned when you're in Cali. Lucky you. 

I tan every year, and when you look at pictures of me growing up you can tell when they were taken in the summer because my skin is darker. Obviously always wear sunscreen etc.

Lol ,my mother was from France and had Mediterranean  ancestry  so I get my tanning  ability from her