Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 09/07/2018 at 18:31, cheese said:

I feel the same for some reason - this year more than last year I'm dreading the return to pre-4pm sunsets. Maybe it's because the weather's been so nice? 

I actually like the short days around Christmas because it can feel pretty cosy, but otherwise it's rather depressing. I hope we get some snow to brighten things up a bit.

I'm dreading the return of winter as do anyone who suffers from SAD, also the huge heating bills.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
33 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I'm dreading the return of winter as do anyone who suffers from SAD, also the huge heating bills.

Its not nice Pete at all SAD. I suffer from it in the summer months,not joking either,no energy,weight gain,chronic fatigue or very agitated,appetite change,very moody and can get very depressed. Not quite the same with some of the Winter SAD symptoms but close.. Not a great person to be around at all. On top of that huge leccy bills for the air con. Its more common that folk think

Edited by markyo
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Cannot wait for the long dark nights and hopefully cold, dark mornings.

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, simshady said:

Cannot wait for the long dark nights and hopefully cold, dark mornings.

Yep,for me it can't come soon enough. Though for many they dread it don't forget. Winter can be as hard or even harder for some than either you or myself could ever envisage. 

For me that cold dark winters morning just makes me feel alive as i actually watch the sunrise,low over the horizon. Even through cloud that first light just picks out so much you normally miss. I totally understand why folk may hate these dark mornings though,we're all different,that's what makes us unique.

• Like 3

Posted

It probably was the fact that we had cloudy skies all day here yesterday but last night was the first night in.............a long long time that it actually seemed to get dark. None of this lingering twilight that we had for seemingly ages

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yep,for me it can't come soon enough. Though for many they dread it don't forget. Winter can be as hard or even harder for some than either you or myself could ever envisage. 

For me that cold dark winters morning just makes me feel alive as i actually watch the sunrise,low over the horizon. Even through cloud that first light just picks out so much you normally miss. I totally understand why folk may hate these dark mornings though,we're all different,that's what makes us unique.

Sunny, frosty winter mornings can be very nice, but your typical cloudy damp December morning is certainly a very depressing affair. 

As I said though, a bit of snow helps to brighten things up.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Sunny, frosty winter mornings can be very nice, but your typical cloudy damp December morning is certainly a very depressing affair. 

As I said though, a bit of snow helps to brighten things up.

A little bit of snow is good for the soul i find,nature at its best. As for cloudy damp Dec mornings...each to there own,i get why you hate them but for me it's the opposite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Always look forward to Autumn and the prospect of winter , nice to know we are losing over 2 mins of daylight everyday now ! It has already seemed a long summer since the first heatwave in April.

• Like 3

Posted

Its around the second week of August I notice a change in light levels, by then a sunny clear sky day will bring dusk by 9pm, but until then it still stays generally light until about half 9 - the mark of decent light, unless its a wet overcast evening.

Tonight though is seeing rapid light loss now, we have cloudy skies.

From mid August, we lose light levels markedly, but until then its summer all the way.

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Its around the second week of August I notice a change in light levels, by then a sunny clear sky day will bring dusk by 9pm, but until then it still stays generally light until about half 9 - the mark of decent light, unless its a wet overcast evening.

Noticing it now, the twilight at 10pm is not quite the same as 10pm around the solstice. Also with the weather as it has been, can see the location where the sun sets is shifting further south now.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

June 21st: Rise 04:44, Set 21:30

Today: Rise 05:05, Set 21:16

That's 34mins of light gone in a month

#NearlyChristmas

will really start to accelerate in 2/3 weeks..we will start to lose 30+ minutes a week by then..sad times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
On 12/07/2018 at 16:59, markyo said:

Its not nice Pete at all SAD. I suffer from it in the summer months,not joking either,no energy,weight gain,chronic fatigue or very agitated,appetite change,very moody and can get very depressed. Not quite the same with some of the Winter SAD symptoms but close.. Not a great person to be around at all. On top of that huge leccy bills for the air con. Its more common that folk think

Snap, every year my mood collapses in July, last year had a breakdown as a result. Last few days have been tough leading to me taking all my meds to maximum levels.

At least my employer know has it on record about my SAD , years ago it would have been sen as swinging the lead.

Posted
34 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Snap, every year my mood collapses in July, last year had a breakdown as a result. Last few days have been tough leading to me taking all my meds to maximum levels.

At least my employer know has it on record about my SAD , years ago it would have been sen as swinging the lead.

Really sorry to hear that,hope that the meds are helping. Like yourself its been a very tough summer for me,but with light levels starting to drop in the mornings at least the flicker of light is at the end of the tunnel.

Posted

As my bedroom window faces West I have to have thick blackout curtains just to sleep this time of year but come October it’ll be on the corner of my flat so won’t be so bad. 

Roll on clocks going back :) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

10 days time and my location sees its first day of true night time darkness of the season :)

I noticed earlier tonight that the lingering glow to the N is slowly fading away.

As others have noted, it becomes extremely noticeable as August wears on.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

A couple of weeks time and will notice it getting darker earlier.  I personally can’t wait it will certainly help my kids get to sleep, can’t wait for the nights to creep in, I love the countdown to Autumn and then winter!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I feel like I've already noticed a significant difference which is weird because on paper there hasn't been.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I feel like I've already noticed a significant difference which is weird because on paper there hasn't been.

I'm noticing it here (More on cloudy nights which we've had quite a bit recently) will need to have a look again when the weather crystal clear blue but slowly slowly changing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

As of last night I noticed a change in light levels for the first time and this reduction is accelerating a little now each day/night. We've past mid July so it's late Summer meteorologically speaking now. Autumn will be here before we know it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Tonight dark by 9.15 although it was quite overcast. But nights are definitely beginning to draw in.  Autumn just around the corner!

• Like 1

Posted

Well it’s cloudy for the first time in weeks so the light in the lounge went on when I got up for the same reason. Sunrise was 530am so heading towards the magic optimum sunrise of 6am

Edited by philglossop