Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I don't remember my parents ever moaning about it, so is this a new thing? Has never bothered me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Yes getting light at 06.30 when most people are in bed and for the majority  it is an hour and a half before they get in their cars .It is certainly wasted light at this time of year and from the end of January

Really? Peak rush hour around here starts long before then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes getting light at 06.30 when most people are in bed and for the majority  it is an hour and a half before they get in their cars .It is certainly wasted light at this time of year and from the end of January

So what? As long as I'm not trundling to work in pitch darkness I couldn't give a flying monkeys.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Can I have the light for the evening. I used to be able get things done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The results of the referendum about not changing the clocks here in Alberta are in...and everyone voted to leave the clocks as they are..so most people were happy to change the clocks twice a year.

• Like 1

Posted
On 31/10/2017 at 14:37, Nick L said:

Yep, I've been hearing people saying "stop messing with the clocks!" - GMT is our "natural" time as solar noon coincides with midday, so let's leave it at that :D

So dark by 9pm & fully light by 3am in high summer? No thanks. We know there's only a limited amount of light in winter, it's about making the best use of it. We could also start by turning the clocks forward again at the end of February, not March. A whole month of potential evening light goes to waste then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
11 hours ago, davehsug said:

So dark by 9pm & fully light by 3am in high summer? No thanks. We know there's only a limited amount of light in winter, it's about making the best use of it. We could also start by turning the clocks forward again at the end of February, not March. A whole month of potential evening light goes to waste then.

It was a tongue in cheek comment Dave. I've said myself on this thread that GMT in summer would be crap. BST +2 would be pretty bad too, I don't want it still light at 11pm!

Posted

Thanks to the recent often dry clear skies, this year we have been cushioned more gently into winter dark slumber, despite the sun going down around 16.15, skies have been largely clear, and full darkness hasn't set in until after 5pm, on wet overcast evenings, darkness would normally be setting in at half 4.. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

We are now entering the time of year I call 'the dark days before christmas', as we endure the darkest period of the year. Sunset times slowly bottom out over the next couple of weeks, with an absolute min around the 13th, when they start to creep slowly back up through the rest of December, conversely sunrise times have some way to go before they drop to there absolute min, roughly about 29 Dec, and there is then a week lag when things stay static and we then see only a slow climb back up through January.

On overcast wet days, such as today, it never really gets properly light, indeed street lights were on at half 3 this evening, preety miserable, and we have 3 weeks to go yet until we reach the 13th..

Lets hope the coming 'dark days before christmas' produce brighter conditions, we all need the sun at this time of year, preferably combined with frost, and arctic air... Early-mid Dec 2008, 2010 and 2012 produced such weather and it was great.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I love how the cat judges his day by the daylight. Crack of dawn there He is, patting my face. I'm ever grateful for clocks going back or the return of longer evening light.

18 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

We are now entering the time of year I call 'the dark days before christmas', as we endure the darkest period of the year. Sunset times slowly bottom out over the next couple of weeks, with an absolute min around the 13th, when they start to creep slowly back up through the rest of December, conversely sunrise times have some way to go before they drop to there absolute min, roughly about 29 Dec, and there is then a week lag when things stay static and we then see only a slow climb back up through January.

On overcast wet days, such as today, it never really gets properly light, indeed street lights were on at half 3 this evening, preety miserable, and we have 3 weeks to go yet until we reach the 13th..

Lets hope the coming 'dark days before christmas' produce brighter conditions, we all need the sun at this time of year, preferably combined with frost, and arctic air... Early-mid Dec 2008, 2010 and 2012 produced such weather and it was great.

Couldn't agree more first signs of darkness creeping in on a wet day by 3.15 pm .

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I hate it too. That's why I'm having a week off in Gran Canaria at the moment where there are blue skies and the sun is still setting after 6pm.

I'm counting down the days until the 13th too. I know evenings stay quite static for the rest of December and mornings still get darker for quite a while,  but at least knowing that evenings aren't getting any darker according to our 24 hour clock is some comfort. 

I agree that cloud cover makes a huge difference this time of year. I don't really notice the lengthening days until mid February so hoping for lots of blue sky days until then (one can dream...)

Just make the most of any daylight is what i would recommend,  get outside as much as possible, have your lunch outside if you can etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

4 weeks today we'll have passed the shortest day and the countdown to BST can begin

:drinks:

you have begun the countdown by saying its 4 weeks to go to the countdown starting

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just a couple of days to go until the sun sets at it's earliest point (13th) it then doesn't change until around the 21st when we start and gain a minute or so each day

The mornings, of course, continue to get darker until around Christmas they don't then change until early Jan

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Just a couple of days to go until the sun sets at it's earliest point (13th) it then doesn't change until around the 21st when we start and gain a minute or so each day

The mornings, of course, continue to get darker until around Christmas they don't then change until early Jan

Yes bright sunny days make such a difference at this time of year, Wednesday though is looking overcast so a very dark early descent into dusk looks likely.

Posted

Tomorrow is the darkest evening hurray.

Doesn't change much for a while and the gains are painfully slow until late January but at least it is a start knowing that things aren't getting worse. 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Doesn't change much for a while and the gains are painfully slow until late January but at least it is a start knowing that things aren't getting worse. 

Yep the end is getting closer now the countdown to spring will soon be on

The sunshine now doesn't set any earlier than 15:41 on the 20th it set's at 15:42

:yahoo:

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Today (here at least) we only have 7h45 of daylight to use! The shortest day will be the 21st with 7h 42m 30s before we start the slow crawl back into longer days. I feel like you don't really notice much change until we head towards the middle of February, when it's roughly light from 7:30-17:00. The dark days will soon be over! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Today (here at least) we only have 7h45 of daylight to use! The shortest day will be the 21st with 7h 42m 30s before we start the slow crawl back into longer days. I feel like you don't really notice much change until we head towards the middle of February, when it's roughly light from 7:30-17:00. The dark days will soon be over! :yahoo:

Yep, it's all much of a muchness until the end of January/mid-Feb really. But it's still a nice feeling knowing that things are going in the right direction.

We do get screwed over in the Northern hemisphere due to the precession of Earth's orbit. It takes longer for days to lengthen after the winter solstice and quicker for  days to get shorter after the summer solstice than than for those people on the other side of the planet.

In 11,500 years or so it will be the other way round though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:09, Lauren said:

I love how the cat judges his day by the daylight. Crack of dawn there He is, patting my face. I'm ever grateful for clocks going back or the return of longer evening light.

Yup, mine wants her evening meal by 5pm, most of the year it's about 9pm, but she's really making a fuss if I try to leave it till then. So have to put extra dry  food down or else she'd be waking me up because she'd be hungry before I get up..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
5 hours ago, mb018538 said:

AS someone that gets S.A.D these are the worst few weeks, for me... Roll on Spring.

I don't like the cold weather, but that's easier to manage than the long hours of darkness. On a positive note - today is cold but IT IS SUNNY :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Oh joy,can't wait to be woken up at 4am by streaming sunshine and birds screaming,then when tired at night after the early wake up to have the same sunlight keeping you awake......what joy can't wait:angry: .......i'd change the words to the xmas song..Mine would be i wish it could be Winter everyday!

Posted
6 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Aye it is usually 4 to 6 weeks after the shortest day the difference becomes noticeable but once we do hit the 21st we know the countdown to the good times is underway again