Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

I really don't like that idea. Certain areas have enough problems with anti social behaviour on summer evenings without it being light until a silly hour. 

I agree with you on that, Nick. I can't see any advantage in GMT+2.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I agree with you on that, Nick. I can't see any advantage in GMT+2.

But as usual in this country, no doubt we'll have a committee set up to discuss a change, spend millions of pounds on studies, and then the whole idea will be scrapped!

Posted

You know what, I'm starting to think that GMT should be re established all year round. I'm under the impression that people we're quite content with it being so before all this daylight saving was introduced which was done in a bygone age to help farmers 'work later during the first world war'. All this changing of the clocks twice a year is just daft, been as it's actually unnecessary and I'm sure our ancestors who were around before it was introduced would find it a strange custom to pretend it's an hour before it actually is for 7 months of the year.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

You know what, I'm starting to think that GMT should be re established all year round. I'm under the impression that people we're quite content with it being so before all this daylight saving was introduced which was done in a bygone age to help farmers 'work later during the first world war'. All this changing of the clocks twice a year is just daft, been as it's actually unnecessary and I'm sure our ancestors who were around before it was introduced would find it a strange custom to pretend it's an hour before it actually is for 7 months of the year.

I agree with BST in summer. Imagine having GMT in June - it'd be getting light at 3am!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I agree with BST in summer. Imagine having GMT in June - it'd be getting light at 3am!

I do agree really, I just find it annoying sometimes that there are those out there who wish to assign GMT to the history books, despite it being the correct measurement. Plus there seems to be a bit of a bias towards BST and as I said earlier, I do wish we could convert back to GMT in late September rather than late October, so both periods of use are of roughly equal length.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

They are having a public vote here in Alberta next month as to whether they scrap changing the clocks twice a year and have standard time all year round...already Saskatchewan has standard time all year round...Here In Edmonton would mean in the winter no sunrise until 10am!!...no thanks 

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting looking at the sunrise and sunset times for London, we see the greatest degree of daylight loss in the evenings at this time of year, roughly 16 minutes each week through September, it decreases to 14 and 15 minutes through October. However, sunrise times are roughly 11-12 minutes later from week to week through September and October also in August, the rate of change in sunrise times is greatest in March and April when we gain 15 to 16 minutes extra light each week. You really do start to notice the 'nights drawing in now', on cloudy dull and wet evenings as we had tonight, it was very dusky around half 6.. a clear bright evening can still instill a later summery feel, with light lingering until half 7, but we are now at the point of no return really..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Interesting looking at the sunrise and sunset times for London, we see the greatest degree of daylight loss in the evenings at this time of year, roughly 16 minutes each week through September, it decreases to 14 and 15 minutes through October. However, sunrise times are roughly 11-12 minutes later from week to week through September and October also in August, the rate of change in sunrise times is greatest in March and April when we gain 15 to 16 minutes extra light each week. You really do start to notice the 'nights drawing in now', on cloudy dull and wet evenings as we had tonight, it was very dusky around half 6.. a clear bright evening can still instill a later summery feel, with light lingering until half 7, but we are now at the point of no return really..

Yes looked at the clock not long ago and it seems to have been dark for ages today, thought it was later than just after 9. Evenings are really drawing in now.

Posted

Just after 7 here tonight the street lamps came on that was despite relatively clear skies overhead. Everything's really accelerating now

Posted

almost exactly 12 hrs daylight there today...sunrise was 7.24am sunset is 7.25pm

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 24/09/2017 at 16:16, Ed Stone said:

Maybe you should have a wee look at the facts, Nick?

https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/road-users/british-summertime-fact-sheet/

Rospa were singing from a very different hymnsheet fifty years ago.  They came out fully against any notion of imposing BST all year around.  Bear in mind that three year experiment was just that: an experiment. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Rospa were singing from a very different hymnsheet fifty years ago.  They came out fully against any notion of imposing BST all year around.  Bear in mind that three year experiment was just that: an experiment. 

Absolutely agree, Pete; but that was because they (along with everyone else) were only ever looking for one thing: a morning-time increase in road accidents involving kiddies, due to darker mornings...And they found one, too - and that's never been disputed.

What they didn't find - because everyone seemed to have overlooked it, for some reason - was that the mornings' additional accidents were more than compensated for by a concomitant reduction during the evenings...due to lighter evenings.

And, lest anyone think I'm being an arrogant so-and-so, it took me a good forty-years to discover it, myself!:oops::D

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What they didn't find - because everyone seemed to have overlooked it, for some reason - was that the mornings' additional accidents were more than compensated for by a concomitant reduction during the evenings...due to lighter evenings.

Bear in mind that I was attending secondary school during the Sixties and finishing time was 4pm which was the norm for that time.  So under GMT schoolkids were going home in the dark and all-year BST meant going home in the light.  There was also far less traffic around back then and the standard of driving was very much higher (I passed my motorcycle test in May 1968).

However nowadays schools finish around 3pm so schoolkids are going home in the light under both GMT or GMT+1.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
Grammar
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Bear in mind that I was attending secondary school during the Sixties and finishing time was 4pm which was the norm for that time.  So under GMT schoolkids were going home in the dark and all-year BST meant going home in the light.  There was also far less traffic around back then and the standard of driving was very much higher (I passed my motorcycle test in May 1968).

However nowadays schools finish around 3pm so schoolkids are going home in the light under both GMT or GMT+1.

True morning rush hour is busier than evenings simply because school start at the same time as work essentially but finish before most people finish work..also people have tended to be not long out of bed in the morning and rushing around whilst still sometimes not 100% fully awake..so i don't buy the whole it will save accidents in the evening scenario...i would wager the danger of dark mornings put weighs that of dark evenings

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Not sure that a trial which took place 40 years ago really has any validity now.

Cars, lighting, cities, human behaviour etc is radically different now to what it was back then. 

Personally, I'm happy for it to stay as it is. We still have the same amount of light no matter what we do, moving it around doesn't change much really. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
6 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Not sure that a trial which took place 40 years ago really has any validity now.

Cars, lighting, cities, human behaviour etc is radically different now to what it was back then. 

Personally, I'm happy for it to stay as it is. We still have the same amount of light no matter what we do, moving it around doesn't change much really. 

Was about to say the same thing. It would be totally idiotic to change anything based on that particular study.

• Like 2

Posted

I think that you guys might have finally persuaded me? Not that I wouldn't personally prefer all-year-round BST (of course I would!) but that, in this day and age, it simply won't make the same difference it did 40-years' back? Och well!:D

Posted

Now we have that out of the way :clap: Clocks go BACK four weeks today!

Already noticed a vast difference to light levels in the mornings, which I'm grateful for, and in the evenings especially on grey days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just finishing my shift and it's still completely dark at 7am. Nice for finishing a night shift but certainly not for getting up in the morning. Clocks going back next weekend will be welcomed for that reason!

Posted

Feels like the clocks have gone back already here. It was turning dark at 5pm thanks to the low cloud and heavy rain.. Alas we have one more full weekend to enjoy the last of reasonable light levels, before the plunge into the dark season. Unfortunately the outlook remains cloudy and wet, meaning the chance of light lingering much later than 6pm now appears slim, at least the mornings will become a little lighter, but only for a short while.

Warmth during the evening from now on is a real waste.. might as well just be wet or cold. 

• Like 1

Posted

Really struggling to adjust to different sunrise/sunset times this Autumn here in Edmonton compared to the UK..for example today sunrise is 8.20am ..so its pitch black going to work at 7am and has been for some time and its only October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
25 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Less than 2 months until we start moving back the other way:D

That is true,can't wait to be woken up before 4am by the dawn chorus......oh the joy:angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
27 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Less than 2 months until we start moving back the other way:D

And it will be here before we know it!