Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Why? Because they don't share your views of what's good?

I really despise the attitude of "You don't agree with me, therefore you're miserable". Some of us actually do like the dark evenings.

Darkness is depressing, therefore people who crave darkness are depressing people. It's the only logical conclusion.

It's one thing to hate heat, but to hate the long daylight of summer? That's just nuts..

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

Darkness is depressing, therefore people who crave darkness are depressing people. It's the only logical conclusion.

It's one thing to hate heat, but to hate the long daylight of summer? That's just nuts..

Says who?

And call me depressing, but I can't say I like being woken up at 4am because of the very light mornings, or returning home from a night shift in blazing, hot sunshine at 7am. The ideal amount of daylight is around the equinoxes, the amount we get at this time of year is a waste and a nuisance. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

The solstice is on Wednesday and many people claim that we are once again on the slippery slope... Try and think of it as a glorious free wheel once you've gotten over the top :D
The countdown to autumn is underway. :yahoo:
... And moving swiftly back on topic...
Personally speaking I love this time of year the run up to, and just after the summer solstice, and then all the way to halloween, for me its just magical :D
Once we get past Halloween some of the magic goes, and no I can't explain any more than that. By the time we get to December I find myself wanting/craving the longer days, and once more I find the light in February/March very, very pleasant as well. :)

*Memo to self: Must order more heating oil*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I find the very light mornings annoying, prefer when it gets light at 630am, i enjoy the light evenings though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Sunrise on a morning is now getting later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

That's it. The Summer Solstice has now been and gone. For us who prefer the cold and short days, the countdown to our time has begun. The starting gun has been fired. Bring it. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Least we can start saying farewell to our feathered little friends at 4am in the coming months. The luxury of waking to silence and watching a fantastic sunrise on the way to work is on its way,can't wait.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Excellent. Turned the corner. :)

• Like 7

Posted

Oh how I do love this time of the year, just knowing that in a few short weeks night time will return. My abode can begin it's nightly lockdown chill time at a sensible hour of 8pm and not be disrupted until well after 3am :)

It's all very well claiming that those who enjoy the dark hours are depressing but oddly enough I would be the one happy and laughing in your face while you sulk all miserable being depressing, funny that eh 8)

Edited by Despicable Weather
  • Like 2

Posted

There is a lag effect now until around middle of July, when light levels in the morning recede quicker than during the evening, hence it takes until middle of July before we start to see any appreciable light loss in the evenings.. the same effect occurs at the opposite end after the december solstice, when light levels in the morning take until second of Jan before they start to increase properly, conversely levels in the evening start to increase before the solstice even occurs, the earliest sunset occuring about 13 December. It catches people out, who think the solstices bring both the latest and earliest sunrises and sunsets..

I don't tend to notice the loss of light fully in the summer until early August, that is when I start to feel a bit woeful about the prospects of darkening skies, until then its high summer all the way!! but now is when you want the summer high pressure not August..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Certainly noticed the darker mornings now,usually up by 5am so becoming more obvious. That run into those fantastic Autumn mornings is on,love it!:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

Certainly noticed the darker mornings now,usually up by 5am so becoming more obvious. That run into those fantastic Autumn mornings is on,love it!:)

Yes! The run into autumn. Love the time of year when cool and cold chart runs become a possibility.

• Like 5

Posted
29 minutes ago, simshady said:

Yes! The run into autumn. Love the time of year when cool and cold chart runs become a possibility.

Oh yes,by far the best time of the year coming up,everything just feels so much better:)

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly noticed the later light towards the end of my shift this morning. Won't be long until it's still dark when I get into bed :D

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Certainly noticed the later light towards the end of my shift this morning. Won't be long until it's still dark when I get into bed :D

Better for getting to sleep then?

Posted
22 minutes ago, markyo said:

Better for getting to sleep then?

Much better. It's a pain at this time of year getting home at 8am, it's been blazing sunshine for 3 hours and often uncomfortably warm. Roll on Autumn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can't stand it, I can sleep through almost anything; discos were a personal favourite! But, the forthcoming doom and gloom? Nyet spaceeba!:cold-emoji:

Posted
28 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Much better. It's a pain at this time of year getting home at 8am, it's been blazing sunshine for 3 hours and often uncomfortably warm. Roll on Autumn.

Must be a pain as you say,folk don't understand that many work nights and sleeping in the summer can be shall we say challenging!

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Must be a pain as you say,folk don't understand that many work nights and sleeping in the summer can be shall we say challenging!

I will say though, I don't really like the dark mornings of December when I'm working days. They are a bit depressing. And would be made far worse if we stayed on BST in winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I will say though, I don't really like the dark mornings of December when I'm working days. They are a bit depressing. And would be made far worse if we stayed on BST in winter!

Gotta love it when the clocks go back; an extra hour in bed!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

More opposite with regard to dark mornings,love them,love watching the sunrise,best part of the day i find. For me the best time of year is Winter,3 hour plus drive to a call,watching the dawn break after a hour in to the drive is so good! Each to their own i suppose!

Edited by markyo

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

Gotta love it when the clocks go back; an extra hour in bed!

Or if you're on shift, an extra hour at work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
Just now, Nick L said:

Or if you're on shift, an extra hour at work!

Good point...

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

More opposite with regard to dark mornings,love them,love watching the sunrise,best part of the day i find. Each to their own i suppose!

I'm not a morning at the best of times, but when it's dark until nearly 9am it makes it even harder for me to wake up! As has been said numerous times in this thread, we have too much daylight in summer and too little in winter. No amount of fiddling with the clocks will make it any better.