Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, February1988 said:

Is it my imagination or does the loss of daylight during July, seem to be more gradual than the increase of daylight in January. I'm guessing the Aphelion and Perihelion play a part in this? Thanks

After having a quick look at the sunset/sunrise times, the light gained/lost 4 weeks after the relevant solstice is about 40 minutes in both. Certainly not enough difference that you'd actually notice.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

I think it's just more noticeable now as most of us are up and about before sunrise as well as after sunset which is not the case in July.
This time of year you often get consecutive rather gloomy days which rather mask the increase in light - then a clear evening suddenly makes quite a startling difference.

Edited by 4wd

Posted

The street light times for here during the week have stayed steady at 25 past 4 later obviously but a idea of how dull it's been all week

Posted
6 hours ago, February1988 said:

Is it my imagination or does the loss of daylight during July, seem to be more gradual than the increase of daylight in January. I'm guessing the Aphelion and Perihelion play a part in this? Thanks

Actually it's the excact opposite. Days get shorter after the summer solstice quicker than they get longer after the winter solstice.

The Earth is closest to the sun a couple of weeks after the winter solstice and is therefore moving faster than at the summer solstice. Because the Earth is orbiting the Sun a sidereal day (the length of time it takes for the same point on Earth to face the sun again) is longer in winter and we effectively get extra daylight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 1/19/2017 at 09:32, February1988 said:

thats because your more likely to be leaving work or school at 4-5pm this is why it is more noticeable in January ...your less likely to be out and about on a daily basis at 10pm at night in July so you notice it less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The gaining daylight beginning to gather pace now. Sunset not too far off 5pm now down here and on clear days it isn't quite dark until nearly 5.30pm. It is also getting on for 6pm until the sky goes completely dark. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 17:32, February1988 said:

There is a larger light difference in summer after sunset than that in winter.A few years ago I did a very long bike ride  which finished at 12 midnight,with a partial moon I rode the last hour  and could see the road clearly without lights or streetlights as it was in the middle of nowhere.The following year I finished a full hour earlier,without the moon it was darker than the previous year an hour earlier.You cannot get that kind of difference in light in winter except ff there was full snowcover.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
19 hours ago, h2005__uk__ said:

First post-5pm sunset for me since the clocks went back will be coming this week!

Gaining nearly 4 minutes of daylight each day now in Manchester. Cloud at sunset makes a bit difference to how long it seems for the sun to set. Will be cycling home mostly in the light in a couple of weeks or so.

Hopefully this Easterly/high pressure doesn't end up just bringing endless gloom and grey skies.

Posted

Living in a different part of the world in a different time zone but the same latitude as Liverpool..im finding sunset and sunrise times are different..for example we are now into Feb but sunrise isn't until 8.15 am where as its 7.29 am back home so still feels like the depths of December in the mornings still.

Posted

Can someone post the link of that chart that shows the sun strength equivalent for each month? (i.e. July has the same strength as August)

I keep meaning to bookmark it every time it gets posted but I never do :D

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Can someone post the link of that chart that shows the sun strength equivalent for each month? (i.e. July has the same strength as August)

I keep meaning to bookmark it every time it gets posted but I never do :D

Thanks

This one?

http://windowseat.ca/sun/

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

That's the one, cheers Gavin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Today was the first morning where it was light when leaving work, noooooooo.

• Like 1

Posted

Darkness begins to fade into deep navy blue skies just after 6am right now which is still all cool.

Lighter evenings I have no problem with but the impending doom of full blazing sunshine at 4am makes me want to stick needles in my eyes, it's the same thing really :crazy:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

now light when we head to rainbows and light when we come home. What a difference a week makes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 05/03/2017 at 08:08, Despicable Weather said:

Darkness begins to fade into deep navy blue skies just after 6am right now which is still all cool.

Lighter evenings I have no problem with but the impending doom of full blazing sunshine at 4am makes me want to stick needles in my eyes, it's the same thing really :crazy:

This.

TBH i'd be all in favour of moving the clocks forward a couple of hours so that it doesn't get light until 5am at the earliest. No need for it to be light at 4am around the solstice. I'd quite happily take midnight light over (very) early morning light!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

First time I noticed this morning at half 5 light over the eastern and northern horizon

• Like 1

Posted

Clocks go forward here on Saturday..which means sunrise goes back to after 8am temporarily..but sunset will move to 7.45pm..which means it wont get dark until after 8.30pm

Posted
On 06/03/2017 at 19:17, CreweCold said:

This.

TBH i'd be all in favour of moving the clocks forward a couple of hours so that it doesn't get light until 5am at the earliest. No need for it to be light at 4am around the solstice. I'd quite happily take midnight light over (very) early morning light!

Both are as bad as each other IMO. In fact, midnight light would just encourage a whole host of antisocial behaviour problems in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Even with it being dull and drizzly it's still light at 17:50. Even last Friday when it was similar it was quite a bit darker than it is now.