Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, March said:

How lightly do you sleep?! Get some exercise amigo! 

Very lightly in summer,windows open so traffic noise,winter is such a relief when it comes.Just so much better with the combination of lower temps and mainly darker mornings till later. Also such a waste of a sunrise at that time,getting up and setting off to work to see it at the normal time ie now is sooo much better!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Very lightly in summer,windows open so traffic noise,winter is such a relief when it comes.Just so much better with the combination of lower temps and mainly darker mornings till later. Also such a waste of a sunrise at that time,getting up and setting off to work to see it at the normal time ie now is sooo much better!!

When I get up, it's dark. When I get home, it's dark.

Definitely no fun.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, cheese said:

When I get up, it's dark. When I get home, it's dark.

Definitely no fun.

Best part of the day is setting off to work in the dark and watching the sun break the horizon,makes the day so much better.

Posted
21 minutes ago, markyo said:

Best part of the day is setting off to work in the dark and watching the sun break the horizon,makes the day so much better.

No thanks. Cycling to work in the dark, cycling home in the dark, what little there is of the daylight wasted because I'm stuck in an office, it's depressing for a lot of people. 

If you want sunrise at the 'normal' time then I would say the Spring or Autumn equinox when days are equal to nights would be a fairer measure.

Posted
16 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

No thanks. Cycling to work in the dark, cycling home in the dark, what little there is of the daylight wasted because I'm stuck in an office, it's depressing for a lot of people. 

If you want sunrise at the 'normal' time then I would say the Spring or Autumn equinox when days are equal to nights would be a fairer measure.

Everybody to their own i suppose,myself i love it. Hate mid summer being woken by just after 4am by bright sunlight,just wears me down.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

I live in the West Midlands and realise that since the Winter Solstice, we've gained 4 minutes daylight in the afternoon, whilst the mornings have continued getting darker, and will not not get lighter until after January 4th. This is due to the equation of time caused primarily by obliquity (the tilt of the earth's axis as it orbits the sun) and to a lesser degree due to eccentricity (the varying distance from the sun). My dad is convinced that we rapidly gain daylight after the solstice. However, I've explained to him that the change in daylight from day to day, be if positive or negative, is only subtle. How can I give him a clear explanation of this? Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It certainly seemed lighter tonight with clear skies,maybe only a few minutes but since it was so misty and dull on the 12th/13th it is certainly noticeable !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

out and about pottering in the garden until half 4. not something that I could do a few weeks ago. can't wait till I can be out until half 9!

Posted

10 past 4 before the street lights came on here today and wasn't completely dark at 5. Slowly becoming noticeable the increasing daylight now

Posted

Today is the first day with an extra minute in the morning too.
8:24 rather than 8:25 it's been since about Christmas.
Agree yesterday was significantly lighter in the evening, sky was ideal for it - not perfectly clear but some lumps of high-ish cloud which reflected sun down for longer - but at 15:52 that's about 13 minutes later than Mid-December.

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

I probably won't really notice it until the end of January - these next few weeks are the worst for me.

I know what you meean, it's all much of a muchness until mid February when it starts to become notably brighter. Doesn't help with the mornings still being pretty near their darkest.

Still, at least it isn't getting worse.

Posted

Going to miss these wonderful sunrises going into work,best time of year I find just now,fantastic tonic to see the morning breaking unlike mid summer which is just a pain

being light so early. Hate it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Morning's and evening now both gaining 2 minutes gained each day from Sunday till the 18th here then it goes to 3 minutes per day

Onwards and upwards now :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

We have gained about 20 minutes on an evening now and it is well after 1630 before dark tomight and it is cloudy,Lovely

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

On a clear night, it's not dark now until nearly 17:00 certainly getting more noticeable now

:)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Yes on clear days, you do start to notice the increased light levels in the evening around now, compared to what they were a month or so ago, but its still only small steps, and dark overcast days still produce preety dark early evenings from 4.30pm onwards. Mornings are still very slow to gain light levels, don't start noticing increased light until late Jan. However, the next 2-3 weeks do see a marked increase in light levels through the evening, by early Feb even grey overcast ones, see the light clinging on until about 5pm, and a clear night nearing on half 5 which is much more respectable.

Overall though its not until mid February, when the increase in light levels throughout the day starts to become a notable observation, combined with the sun starting to slowly gain a bit of heat and strength to it. Another month to go yet then..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Yes, it's gradually getting noticeable, especially when the evening skies are clear. Even on snow days, like yesterday and today, the sun has felt warm and that is very encouraging. A little way to go yet before we feel real warmth though...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Noticed the lighter evenings for the first time, still a tinge of light at about 4.45pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

Is it my imagination or does the loss of daylight during July, seem to be more gradual than the increase of daylight in January. I'm guessing the Aphelion and Perihelion play a part in this? Thanks

Posted

The current very gloomy overcast conditions are not enabling us to feel the benefits of an ever increasing rate of daylight growth. It began to 'close' in before 4.30pm today, and mornings are still very dark. Had we a clean clear airstream how much lighter it would be during the evening this week, suspect those in the far south are beginning to feel notable effect. 

What a miserable week this is turning into.. 

• Like 1