Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Well if we did get rid of GMT, I'd want us to scrap moving the clocks a further hour forward in the summer. I don't want it light until gone 11pm, anti-social behaviour would go through the roof in warm weather.

I agree.:good:

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

So, if it 'doesn't have that much of an impact' (save for kids leaving school in pitch blackness and having to deal with tired drivers who are forever adjusting to decreasing light-levels) why bother? It's not as if anyone gains an hour's daylight, either?

We're putting it back to the proper time.   The question is why do we change it in March?     What is the benefit in starting the day an hour after midnight?   Given the prime meridian actually runs right through Britain!

And if we do persist in changing it in March, we should put it back to proper time at the end of September

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Essan said:

We're putting it back to the proper time.   The question is why do we change it in March?     What is the benefit in starting the day an hour after midnight?   Given the prime meridian actually runs right through Britain!

And if we do persist in changing it in March, we should put it back to proper time at the end of September

Yep, the solar noon is roughly 1pm at the moment. This weekend simply reverts our midday to the natural noon.

Posted

I think I'd put the safety of schoolchildren a long away ahead of nitpicking over the position of the prime meridian?:good:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think I'd put the safety of schoolchildren a long away ahead of nitpicking over the position of the prime meridian?:good:

But how does scrapping GMT make schoolchildren any safer? When kids come out of school at 3-3.30pm in December, it's still light. When they go to school at 8.30-9am, it is also light most of the time. By staying on BST into December, schoolkids will be going to school in the dark - surely that's more unsafe? Am I missing something here?

I think that GMT is the best method of managing what little daylight we have in midwinter.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But how does scrapping GMT make schoolchildren any safer? When kids come out of school at 3-3.30pm in December, it's still light. When they go to school at 8.30-9am, it is also light most of the time. By staying on BST into December, schoolkids will be going to school in the dark - surely that's more unsafe? Am I missing something here?

I think that GMT is the best method of managing what little daylight we have in midwinter.

I think the ROSPA report explains it far better than I can?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I think the ROSPA report explains it far better than I can?

It doesn't really though. They are quoting stats from a trial nearly 50 years ago, and they even admitted things have changed significantly since then. It also makes no reference to deaths of schoolchildren. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It doesn't really though. They are quoting stats from a trial nearly 50 years ago, and they even admitted things have changed significantly since then. It also makes no reference to deaths of schoolchildren. 

But it does show that any reduction in morning time accidents was more than countered by an increase in the evenings...I'm sure that the physiology of the human eye has remained unchanged, though?

IMO, the data are as conclusive as they are for global warming; surely, it's our job to explain them?

The whole point of ROSPA is to prevent accidents, nothing more...

Posted

I'm certainly looking forward to the return to the real time of GMT. I'm not against BST as such but it should certainly only be a Summer thing. Also I don't get why we have 7 months for BST and only 5 for GMT. Surely they should be equally 6 months long, so either reverting back to GMT in late September or waiting to switch to BST in late April. I also saw that article in 'The Sun' about the so called potential benefits of sticking to BST in the the Winter months. It didn't convince me, but it was proposing that we stick to GMT+1 in the Winter months and adopting GMT+2 in the Summer months. That's ridiculous as it would still be light close to or during 12:00 am in Scotland especially (noticed the article was trying to have a dig at Scots as well as if they were unreasonable and didn't really matter in opposing their desire to meddle with our current time zone setup, but then again ' The Sun' in England and Wales has long now had a tradition of trashing Scotland). Also I quite like the fact it gets dark early in the late Autumn and Winter evenings and to me if that started happening an hour later it wouldn't feel right. Those that propose this change are obviously Winter haters and would love it to be Summer all year round, but meddling with the clocks wouldn't actually give us any more daylight than we have now and would just mean that daylight wouldn't start until an hour later in the morning. Also GMT would become a redundant term as its based on noon occurring on the meridian (which during BST doesn't actually occur until 1:00 pm so it's technically not the afternoon until after then, and midnight technically also doesn't occur until 1:00 am so it makes those terms incorrect to say at 12:00 pm and 12:00 am respectively during BST). Also we couldn't call it BST anymore if it becomes the time system used during Winter aswell. The thing is with these people who want to meddle with the time so much is I suspect they will never be satisfied and if such was adopted further down the line they would want to bring time forward another hour and so forth until we reach a stage when the time of day is completely out of kilter with the natural progression of the Sun. Personally I wouldn't mind reverting back to GMT all year round, but I realise it's not a popular idea and that's unlikely to ever happen now. But the current system works ok as it is, so should just be left alone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The country is basically too long for a 'one size fits all'.

I think what we currently have is best but far from perfect

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

what's happened to this bee? No expert but its just staying here itching itself every now and again maybe just living its last moments?

WP_20161028_11_47_53_Pro.jpg

Wrong thread, perhaps?

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Don't forget to put your clocks forward tomorrow night

Do you start work 2-hours earlier, than everyone else, on Monday, T?:shok:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted

All you lot moaning because it gets dark a bit earlier from the weekend, spare a thought for those of us working night shifts when the clocks go back :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
11 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Don't forget to put your clocks forward tomorrow night

You mean back.

7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Wrong thread, perhaps?

Considering its Autumn, just thought someone would give an answer. I thought they were dying because its just autumn but still can't find an answer anywhere

!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Considering its Autumn, just thought someone would give an answer. I thought they were dying because its just autumn but still can't find an answer anywhere

!

Try Google ?

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/news/anthonys-blog/what-happens-to-bumblebees-in-autumn

Posted
On 27 October 2016 at 14:07, Weather-history said:

Atrocious article in the Sun about keeping to BST all year round.

They talk about an extra hour of daylight. They won't be! It will still be the same amount of daylight whatever.

Also, IMO, a lot of nonsense about how keeping to BST will increase outdoor activity during winter. I find that outdoor activity is dictated largely by the weather. 

I fail to see why keeping to BST all year will increase tourism, who wants to visit say Blackpool if there is a howling gale and driving rain in February just because it is lighter for an hour later? You only have to see how good or bad a Bank Holiday's weather can affect a seaside town's trade that day.

I still can't understand why they think tourism and outdoor activity would increase just because we have BST during November to March?

If it is a nice early spring day in February, people will go out and make the most either through gardening etc regardless. They will not go out if there is a gale blowing and it's raining just because the sunset time is an hour later! 

The rain is hammering against the window, there is a squally wind blowing, "hey lets go to the park or do some gardening because the sun sets an hour later now"

• Like 5

Posted

Welcome back GMT, old friend! Best part about it is that the model times are now in winter mode :D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Best time of the year now,get home from work,shut the curtains,fire on,feet up....lovely:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Only 7 weeks (51 days) until the solstice and we can look forward to the longing of the days once more :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Longing of the nights? You mean the shortening?

Edited, I meant days! Haha