Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Horse Chestnut trees up here are well on their way and a few others just beginning to show hints of colour.

Similar here. No falling leaves yet, but the trees have a distinctive 'brown-green' look to them now. Hopefully they wont be stripped by gales this year!

Light-wise its definitely feeling like we're well into Autumn now. It always surprises me how quickly the sun gets so low at this time of the year.  

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, not long now until lighter mornings :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The mornings have been very dark in Brum the last few days. Old Joe (the uni clocktower) has his clock face lit when it's dark enough (I assume it's on a sensor), and it's staying lit to around 8am at the moment. Probably aided by overcast skies mind.

I am enjoying these dark mornings, but won't be sad when the clocks go back. That change in the evening darkness marks the start of my favourite time of year for daylight hours, ending at the beginning February.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

The mornings have been very dark in Brum the last few days. Old Joe (the uni clocktower) has his clock face lit when it's dark enough (I assume it's on a sensor), and it's staying lit to around 8am at the moment. Probably aided by overcast skies mind.

I am enjoying these dark mornings, but won't be sad when the clocks go back. That change in the evening darkness marks the start of my favourite time of year for daylight hours, ending at the beginning February.

Just imagine if we didn't turn the clocks back. The ever darkening mornings would continue for another 2 months!

Posted
17 hours ago, Nick L said:

Just imagine if we didn't turn the clocks back. The ever darkening mornings would continue for another 2 months!

The main thing that annoys me about it is that the clocks going back/forwards isn't spread equally around the winter solstice. It's a whole extra month the other side of the solstice before they go forwards again and loads loads of early morning daylight being wasted by March.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Azazel said:

only 2 months until the solstice and then the days start drawing  out again:D

Or put another way, only 17 weeks until the days are only as long as today again! And it gets much worse before it gets better again!

I really struggle through November and December, but you are right, at least after the solstice you have something to look forward to. The most depressing time is by December when I am cycling in the dark both ways to work and I see both the sunrise and sunset while still at work.

I start to get obsessive looking at sunrise/sunset charts as well.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

Or put another way, only 17 weeks until the days are only as long as today again! And it gets much worse before it gets better again!

I really struggle through November and December, but you are right, at least after the solstice you have something to look forward to. The most depressing time is by December when I am cycling in the dark both ways to work and I see both the sunrise and sunset while still at work.

I start to get obsessive looking at sunrise/sunset charts as well.

I feel your pain.

I get a real tinge of happiness on December 21st because although its seconds at a time for a while, I at least know we are heading back the other way.

Conversely, I get sad on the summer solstice because I know we are starting the slide:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Love this time of year,leaving in the dark,watching the sunrise during the journey is magical,then watching the setting sun again just makes a long drive home so much better I feel. Summer months are not my cup of tea,getting home after a long hot day to a hot house and bedroom isn't pleasant at all. Dark evenings set you up for a much better nights sleep I find.

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I feel your pain.

I get a real tinge of happiness on December 21st because although its seconds at a time for a while, I at least know we are heading back the other way.

Conversely, I get sad on the summer solstice because I know we are starting the slide:(

It's a shame that the weather in the UK seems to always be rubbish in June/July when the days are longest and summer only shows up in late August/September

Posted
2 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

It's a shame that the weather in the UK seems to always be rubbish in June/July when the days are longest and summer only shows up in late August/September

It really is a shame.

Doesn't have to be overbearingly hot, but to get some nice clear, anticyclonic weather in June with warm nights would be absolutely fantastic. First heat always seems to arrive in July - this year I took a punt back in April and booked 2 weeks off in July which coincided beautifully with the mini-heatwave.

Posted

Mornings are noticeably dark now, on overcast ones, it takes until around 8am before the daylight penetrates through. Conversely its still just about light enough at 6pm to not use headlights. The next 2-3 weeks see a rapid change in the overall levels of light, when the clocks go back it is fully dark by 5pm and it gets darker and darker for another 7 weeks. Make the most of the next week and any sunshine.

Posted
On 21 October 2016 at 07:23, ManiaMuse said:

The main thing that annoys me about it is that the clocks going back/forwards isn't spread equally around the winter solstice. It's a whole extra month the other side of the solstice before they go forwards again and loads loads of early morning daylight being wasted by March.

Not really, the sun doesn't rise until just before 7am by start of March. There is a lag, sunrise time doesn't start getting earlier until just after the New Year, almost two weeks after the solstice. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Not really, the sun doesn't rise until just before 7am by start of March. There is a lag, sunrise time doesn't start getting earlier until just after the New Year, almost two weeks after the solstice. 

The difference is only about 10 days though. Sunrise reversal was about the 29th/30th December last year I seem to remember from OCD sunrise chart following last year,  but it can been up to 4 weeks later that the clocks go forward in March depending on how the weekend falls.

Although yes it is true, sunrise barely changes from day to day for about 2 weeks after the solstice.

Posted

Atrocious article in the Sun about keeping to BST all year round.

They talk about an extra hour of daylight. They won't be! It will still be the same amount of daylight whatever.

Also, IMO, a lot of nonsense about how keeping to BST will increase outdoor activity during winter. I find that outdoor activity is dictated largely by the weather. 

I fail to see why keeping to BST all year will increase tourism, who wants to visit say Blackpool if there is a howling gale and driving rain in February just because it is lighter for an hour later? You only have to see how good or bad a Bank Holiday's weather can affect a seaside town's trade that day.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

They talk about an extra hour of daylight. They won't be! It will still be the same amount of daylight whatever.

Also, IMO, a lot of nonsense about how keeping to BST will increase outdoor activity during winter. I find that outdoor activity is dictated largely by the weather. 

I fail to see why keeping to BST all year will increase tourism, who wants to visit say Blackpool if there is a howling gale and driving rain I n February just because it is lighter for an hour later? You only have to see how good or bad a Bank Holiday's weather can effect a seaside town's trade that day.

Hear hear. It's the annual weekend when everyone whines about it and then just gets on with it, because let's be honest, it doesn't have that much of a (negative) impact.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I fail to see why keeping to BST all year will increase tourism, who wants to visit say Blackpool if there is a howling gale and driving rain I n February just because it is lighter for an hour later? You only have to see how good or bad a Bank Holiday's weather can effect a seaside town's trade that day.

Fixed that for you.

Joking aside, completely agree.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Hear hear. It's the annual weekend when everyone whines about it and then just gets on with it, because let's be honest, it doesn't have that much of an impact.

So, if it 'doesn't have that much of an impact' (save for kids leaving school in pitch blackness and having to deal with tired drivers who are forever adjusting to decreasing light-levels) why bother? It's not as if anyone gains an hour's daylight, either?

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

So, if it 'doesn't have that much of an impact' (save for kids leaving school in pitch blackness and having to deal with tired drivers who are forever adjusting to decreasing light-levels) why bother? It's not as if anyone gains an hour's daylight, either?

I thought someone would pick up on that! I meant "negative impact", should probably go back and edit it.

I think the benefits of the current system outweigh the negatives. I certainly don't want to be waiting until well gone 9am until it gets light in December. And I'm sure parents wouldn't want their kids walking to school in the dark either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I thought someone would pick up on that! I meant "negative impact", should probably go back and edit it.

I think the benefits of the current system outweigh the negatives. I certainly don't want to be waiting until well gone 9am until it gets light in December. And I'm sure parents wouldn't want their kids walking to school in the dark either.

But it does have a negative impact, Nick: http://www.rospa.com/media-centre/press-office/press-releases/detail/?id=1456

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well if we did get rid of GMT, I'd want us to scrap moving the clocks a further hour forward in the summer. I don't want it light until gone 11pm, anti-social behaviour would go through the roof in warm weather.

• Like 2