Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, Bright Nights +1 said:

The debate for years has been about moving the clocks permanently but this is understandably controversial because it is so dark in December & Janaury. However, we could just bring them forward a little sooner.  A small change like this would be a boost for many as it really would feel like Winter has ended early.

I don't want Winter to feel like it's ended early. Some of us like the dark, let it persist for as long as possible I say.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 hours ago, Bright Nights +1 said:

Alas Winter is coming and the dark nights will be upon us soon. Of Course the clocks go back less than 2 months before the shortest day, but we wait 3 months to move them forward?!!! North America doesn't wait!

The debate for years has been about moving the clocks permanently but this is understandably controversial because it is so dark in December & Janaury. However, we could just bring them forward a little sooner.  A small change like this would be a boost for many as it really would feel like Winter has ended early. It'll make the evening rush hour in March safer too for the majority.

There is a petition called bring March into the light. The proposal is to put the clocks forward at the end of Feb or start of March instead of the end of March. 

If you agree please sign the petition & share it with others!! Thank you!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/166900

Come here often? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

This debate has rumbled on and on for ages! Interesting. I think the whole Scotland issue has stopped it ever happening - they don't want to be stuck in darkness for half the morning!

As for liking the dark....I do.....at night! :D I can't stand it being dark at 8am and 4pm. It's rotten! I love it when mid February rolls around and you start to really notice the change back to light again. Only 5 months to go!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Much prefer dark at 8am and 4pm to light at 10pm and 4am. So much easier I find to go to bed in the dark and wake up when you want to and not when the dawn chorus starts at 3:30am!

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, Bright Nights +1 said:

Alas Winter is coming and the dark nights will be upon us soon. Of Course the clocks go back less than 2 months before the shortest day, but we wait 3 months to move them forward?!!! North America doesn't wait!

The debate for years has been about moving the clocks permanently but this is understandably controversial because it is so dark in December & Janaury. However, we could just bring them forward a little sooner.  A small change like this would be a boost for many as it really would feel like Winter has ended early. It'll make the evening rush hour in March safer too for the majority.

There is a petition called bring March into the light. The proposal is to put the clocks forward at the end of Feb or start of March instead of the end of March. 

In my experience of working both night shifts and day shifts, there are more dozy drivers around doing daft things in the morning than the evening. Under the present system, on 1st March sunrise is around 6.50am and sunset 5.40pm which is an hour either side of each rush hour so about right if you ask me. Its not as if you can do much in the evening at that time of the year anyway, as its still cold and nothing really grows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 hours ago, Bright Nights +1 said:

No thanks. Don't want the dark mornings to drag on even more.

This is what really annoys me about this argument - many just totally ignore the fact you're not gaining an hour of daylight, you're simply taking it off the mornings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
12 hours ago, Bright Nights +1 said:

Errr...no. I like the dark :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, simshady said:

Errr...no. I like the dark :)

Wow, that's shocking - said nobody.

Dawn begins to break before 6:30am at the start of March when many (not all of course) are still in bed or at home and definitely well before rush hour and most school runs. By mid March the vast majority wake up in the light. Without doubt more folk would benefit from having the light at the end of the day.  

Obviously it's the same amount of daylight! Spookily enough we get roughly the same amount of light in March as we do in October. I accept it's colder in March but the evening rush hours claim more lives on our roads (D.O.T official figures).

In addition the economy would benefit (people will be out spending if it's light) and the country would consume less energy (as many miss the benefit of those light March mornings).

Of course everyone's personal circumstances are different and not everyone would benefit or indeed want this. But it's shortsighted to dismiss it out of hand...

Posted
9 hours ago, reef said:

In my experience of working both night shifts and day shifts, there are more dozy drivers around doing daft things in the morning than the evening. Under the present system, on 1st March sunrise is around 6.50am and sunset 5.40pm which is an hour either side of each rush hour so about right if you ask me. Its not as if you can do much in the evening at that time of the year anyway, as its still cold and nothing really grows.

Obviously not much of a gardener! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The autumnal equinox this year occurs on the 22nd September at 2:21pm GMT (so 3:21pm BST). We're less than a week away :D , bring on Winter!

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
9 hours ago, Relativistic said:

The autumnal equinox this year occurs on the 22nd September at 2:21pm GMT (so 3:21pm BST). We're less than a week away :D , bring on Winter!

A nice cold one, hopefully :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, simshady said:

A nice cold one, hopefully :)

Preferably the coldest on record, with exceptionally deep snows :D . How about a repeat of 1683/84?

As the days get shorter it'll be harder to contain myself when it comes to Winter talk.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Preferably the coldest on record, with exceptionally deep snows :D . How about a repeat of 1683/84?

As the days get shorter it'll be harder to contain myself when it comes to Winter talk.

You would soon get bored and the novelty wears off...long cold winters are not all they are cracked up to be

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

You would soon get bored and the novelty wears off...long cold winters are not all they are cracked up to be

You have to experience at least one in your lifetime though... Would you not agree?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

You have to experience at least one in your lifetime though... Would you not agree?

I'm not sure you ever will in the UK...so I'm basically saying your are not missing much.

Posted

Definitely noticable how much lower the sun is in the sky, and how the intensity is waning. Even direct sunlight, during a warm spell, just doesn't have the same bite as it did only a month ago, let alone June/July.

The sun now is around the same as it is in late March.

http://windowseat.ca/sun/

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I'm not sure you ever will in the UK...so I'm basically saying your are not missing much.

The point was to actually experience such a winter in the first place.

Many a cold/snow fan would perhaps say, never again thank you, but for me, I would love to be asked the question..........

My answer: Same again please, but with more snow at Christmas.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
9 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I think many get bored of it but there are a handful of strange ones like myself that just get worse the more we see :cold-emoji: and would much prefer a frozen landscape winter long.

Northern Finland's climate would be ideal although granted I wouldn't be searching desperately for that single snowflake like we do in UK :fool: the initial excitement wears off but then it is still far more pleasant than endless rain, drizzle and murk.

I also found the light levels fascinating up in arctic circle and having seen perpetual darkness with just a glimmer on horizon at mid day I would like to see the midnight sun in summer one day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
On 9/15/2016 at 14:51, Nick L said:

No thanks. Don't want the dark mornings to drag on even more.

This is what really annoys me about this argument - many just totally ignore the fact you're not gaining an hour of daylight, you're simply taking it off the mornings.

Statistically more people are surely awake early evening than they are early mornings which would make it more useful?

Just go with what benefits the majority?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, March Blizzard said:

Definitely noticable how much lower the sun is in the sky, and how the intensity is waning. Even direct sunlight, during a warm spell, just doesn't have the same bite as it did only a month ago, let alone June/July.

The sun now is around the same as it is in late March.

http://windowseat.ca/sun/

Yep noticed on Wednesday just how low the sun was on the horizon compared to mid summer. It was a different feeling kind of heat. More humid but less bakingly hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 01:30, Nights King said:

I think many get bored of it but there are a handful of strange ones like myself that just get worse the more we see :cold-emoji: and would much prefer a frozen landscape winter long.

Northern Finland's climate would be ideal although granted I wouldn't be searching desperately for that single snowflake like we do in UK :fool: the initial excitement wears off but then it is still far more pleasant than endless rain, drizzle and murk.

I also found the light levels fascinating up in arctic circle and having seen perpetual darkness with just a glimmer on horizon at mid day I would like to see the midnight sun in summer one day.

I would love it, I wouldn't mind living in Rovaniemi. Which is a large town/city up there.....plenty of things to do in the city but on the outskirts you can do snowmobiling and dog sledding with huskies. Drill the ice to find fish in rivers and lakes.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Time for some good news. Once the equinox has passed in a few days we will be closer to the daylight lengthening again than when it began to start shortening. :p 

But in all seriousness, despite being a summer lover more than a winter lover, I do enjoy the darker evenings especially up to the New Year. Cant imagine Christmas and its run up without it. It's the other end of the extreme (i.e long days) which makes us enjoy the other while we have them at least for me a bit. Adds to the cosy feel but as soon as new year comes around I am desperate for Spring/Summer to hurry up. Hopefully this winter will be seasonal and we will all enjoy some snow especially around Christmas and not in March/April!

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Northern Finland's climate is only ideal if you don't live there. That region of Finland has seen its population steadily decline due to a harsh climate, lack of winter daylight and lack of jobs. Combine that with high suicide levels and alcoholism and it's really quite a bleak picture. Russia is the same.

I like cold winters, but not very cold - and I don't like 24-hour darkness in winter. Belarus and eastern Poland would be ideal for me.

Edited by cheese