Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Aw but watching the snow under the lamp post is the best!

I was in Tunbridge Wells back then, Nick...And, one evening (January 1970) we had a fantastic but short-lived blizzard and, by the time the streetlights came on, the rain was washing it all away. Some things never change, eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really notice the difference now in the mornings,lot darker even on a clear morning. For me the best part of the year is coming when you can watch both the sun rise and set at a reasonable time,nature at its best.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Haven't had permanent astronomical twilight here for nearly three weeks now. Looking out on a clear night like tonight one can certainly see just how black the sky looks, as opposed to the deep, inky blue of astronomical twilight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

August-mid September is perhaps the ideal period of time in terms of length of light. Light enough for just about long enough in the evenings to enjoy it and light when you get up. Not looking forward to the downhill run up to the winter solstice. Going to and leaving work in the dark... joy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

August-mid September is perhaps the ideal period of time in terms of length of light. Light enough for just about long enough in the evenings to enjoy it and light when you get up. Not looking forward to the downhill run up to the winter solstice. Going to and leaving work in the dark... joy!

The joys of living at a high latitude, there's only a fairly small window when we get sensible daylight hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 06/08/2016 at 12:37, Ed Stone said:

I thought it was great, Pete: I had an extra hour for snow-watching after school.

But you didn't have to go to work on two wheels in dark, icy mornings?  No matter what we do to the clock, we still have only around eight hours of daylight around the winter solstice.  Bear in mind that under GMT, schoolkids go to school in the light, and leave school in the light (or did before the days of the "school run" but that's another can of worms).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I've been on lates last two weeks, so my getting up at 430am to near sunlight will certainly be different on Friday morning. 

Mind you, last night home at 910pm and the lounge lamp went on for the first time in months.

Posted

Loving the darker mornings now,really making a difference,so much more easy just to roll over and put the snooze button on!! Probably not a good thing!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes im also enjoying the darker morning and evenings.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

Loving the darker mornings now,really making a difference,so much more easy just to roll over and put the snooze button on!! Probably not a good thing!

Indeed it is more tempting to keep pressing the snooze button. Thankfully for a large majority, we are still some way off proper dark mornings/evenings. I do like the cosyness of dark evenings in winter. Just wish there was more daylight in the morning to help wake me up. 

• Like 2

Posted

Really starting to pull in now,especially in the mornings. I find it just so much better waking to darkness and not that burning sunlight streaming in at a very early time,so much nicer.

• Like 2

Posted

For me, we're approaching the perfect balance of daylight. It's not light stupidly early, but it's light when you're getting up to go to work. 

• Like 1

Posted

For me getting home from work in the dark,shutting the curtains,fire on is by far the best time of year,love it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The last time the days were this long I was seeing regular snow showers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Really starting to notice the nights drawing in now, the other night I was on the PC and hadn't looked outside for a while, I was shocked when it was pitch black outside!

Posted

We have now lost around 2 hours of daylight since the summer solstice :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

The evenings are really noticeable now.

Autumn is fast drawing in..............

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Nights are certainly a lot darker now! 8.15 and the light is beginning to fade and completely dark by 9.

Autumn is just around the corner and them lovely cozy nights in with the family will not be far away!!

• Like 2

Posted

Best time of the year coming up,leaving the house in the morning to the cool freshness of autumn,hearing those piles of leaves moving in the wind,then home at night to a lit fire,perfect.

• Like 2

Posted

Sunday night was completely dark by 10 here (was cloudy) but last night was a bit lighter due to the fact clearer skies. Shows cloud makes all the difference

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A dark evening tonight here under thick cloud and moderate rain.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

An eerie form of evening light - looking across to the central feels, there is an ominous orange glow on the distant horizon with darkened skies in the foreground and the peaks of the fells silohetted against the orange. Rain radar shows moderate rain falling over central lakes, but it can't be, all very odd. Its been an odd day daylight wise, very still air, no cloud movement just a stagnant grey cloud cover making for very dim light. I've not liked the feel of today at all..