Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This is where we disagree. I don't like blazing sunshine at 5am, but equally I don't like darkness lingering until nearly 8am in December. For me that would be the biggest drawback of permanently putting clocks forward the extra hour, in December on gloomy days it wouldn't be light until about 9!

Meanwhile, heading home from work at 5.20am this morning it was very noticeable how much darker the mornings are, helped by the low cloud.

Fair comment,night shifts are a totally different thing. I've done nights years ago and hated it. Gives a very different view on the light hours in my opinion. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Fair comment,night shifts are a totally different thing. I've done nights years ago and hated it. Gives a very different view on the light hours in my opinion. 

I actually prefer nights, I really struggle with early mornings and after a few of them I end up badly sleep deprived.

Night shifts are probably best in the winter months when it's still dark when you get home. It's difficult in summer, especially when it's warm. However, in the middle of December I can go several days without seeing any daylight, which can't be good for your health.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

You really notice the nights drawing in now with this type of weather, cloudy dull...

I worked abroad for several years and you really notice the deference.

Its great in the winter that it gets dark an hour later, gives outdoor activities more of a chance, mind you getting light towards 8.30/9am is a bit to get used to in the depth of the winter.

Getting light an hour later in the summer makes no difference but that extra hour in the eves you really notice.

However this is a southern view, right up north of the UK, its almost the same as euro time at some times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Totally disagree i'm afraid,suppose its just personal choice. I hate waking to broad daylight,for me not natural.

Yes you've already pointed out you're in a minority in other threads. Though I did say light of dawn, which a bit softer than 'broad daylight'. Having said that, whenever I have a lie in I inevitably wake up when it's well and truly light. Simply, if I need the sleep I'll sleep regardless lol. Noise affects me much more than light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

8pm and much darker this evening!  Give it another 4 weeks and it will be dark by 7.30pm.  I like all kinds of weather /seasons but in my opinion you can't beat the gradual descent into Autumn and the trees showing their abundant colours, you can't beat a cozy night in Autumn/winter with the family watching a movie!! Bliss!,

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
47 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I actually prefer nights, I really struggle with early mornings and after a few of them I end up badly sleep deprived.

Night shifts are probably best in the winter months when it's still dark when you get home. It's difficult in summer, especially when it's warm. However, in the middle of December I can go several days without seeing any daylight, which can't be good for your health.

Especially on mental health, lots of studies that show we have more positive emotions when we see the sun. I wonder how the folks get on in places like Spitsbergen where it's dark for weeks on end no sunrise at all. It doesn't have a big population but there's probably some people there who work permanent nights who don't see the sun for months. :80:

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Especially on mental health, lots of studies that show we have more positive emotions when we see the sun. I wonder how the folks get on in places like Spitsbergen where it's dark for weeks on end no sunrise at all. It doesn't have a big population but there's probably some people there who work permanent nights who don't see the sun for months. :80:

Well there have been no obvious impacts so far thankfully!

Posted
On 28 July 2016 at 22:42, Nick L said:

My favourite day in the descent into winter is when the clocks go back, you get that first wintry feeling as it gets dark late afternoon.

That is my least favourite day.

I don't look forward to  the long hours of darkness. I dislike waiting until almost 10am for reasonable daylight, only to be robbed of it by 3pm.

The most hopeful days of the year for me are those that follow 22nd Dec. (apart from Christmas)

When I worked shifts during the first ten years of my working life, for night shift the ideal scenario for me was to leave home and return in bright daylight.,

I still love waking up and looking out to a bright light morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree, ciel; it's when everything goes wrong for me: it's dark at 5 in the evening and there's almost no chance of snow...So, apart from Halloween (and that's a pain in the rectum) what is there, to be happy about?:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I do like this time of the year when i get up at 5am to see a good sunrise,i have my camera ready every morning for that red sky

hope to see more like this this week.

DSC00867.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes you've already pointed out you're in a minority in other threads. Though I did say light of dawn, which a bit softer than 'broad daylight'. Having said that, whenever I have a lie in I inevitably wake up when it's well and truly light. Simply, if I need the sleep I'll sleep regardless lol. Noise affects me much more than light.

Live on a busy road so noise is norm for me,find sleeping when its light very tricky. Done nights working,never again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

loss of daylight in the evenings and mornings will really start to accelerate now..wont be long until we are losing 30mins of daylight per week.

• Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

loss of daylight in the evenings and mornings will really start to accelerate now..wont be long until we are losing 30mins of daylight per week.

Best season coming soon,getting home,shutting the curtains,fire on,perfect...but that's in my opinion!

• Like 2

Posted

Can't believe how dark it was at 9 tonight it just seems to have changed all of a sudden. I'm not complaining though, this is the best time of year for me from now up to Christmas. This is when the weather forums get really interesting.

Edited by snowtimenow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Noticeable changes at bit ends of the day now but quite a way before evenings become too dark to enjoy yet. 

I do like light at least from just before I wake up in the morning. It helps to wake me up. When it is still dark when waking up, I do find it harder to get going in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Noticeable changes at bit ends of the day now but quite a way before evenings become too dark to enjoy yet. 

I do like light at least from just before I wake up in the morning. It helps to wake me up. When it is still dark when waking up, I do find it harder to get going in the morning.

Exactly. The change doesn't really become obvious until September. The light is just about right now, light enough in the morning without waking you up silly early, and light long enough into the evening to enjoy it (if only we just had some normal August weather!).

Posted

Thankfully the light has gone completely now from the time i have to start getting ready for the day,just find it so much easier to get myself going without the even earlier wakeup call of the sun. Just more refreshed i find.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yesterday evening I had to put the lights on my bike at 9pm when I rode home back from the recreation centre.  Oh well, that's it over for another year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 02/08/2016 at 19:30, Nick L said:

This is where we disagree. I don't like blazing sunshine at 5am, but equally I don't like darkness lingering until nearly 8am in December. For me that would be the biggest drawback of permanently putting clocks forward the extra hour, in December on gloomy days it wouldn't be light until about 9!

Meanwhile, heading home from work at 5.20am this morning it was very noticeable how much darker the mornings are, helped by the low cloud.

..............as was done between 1968 and '71, an unmitigated disaster.  Going to work I had to pick my way along dark lanes often covered with patchy black ice on a motorbike because my start time was 8:30am and it was still dark. Under GMT the sun had already risen and started work on any black ice.  The road accident rate shot up due to the number of schoolkids knocked down by dozy drivers not fully awake.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
20 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

..............as was done between 1968 and '71, an unmitigated disaster.  Going to work I had to pick my way along dark lanes often covered with patchy black ice on a motorbike because my start time was 8:30am and it was still dark. Under GMT the sun had already risen and started work on any black ice.  The road accident rate shot up due to the number of schoolkids knocked down by dozy drivers not fully awake.

To be honest you have a very good point,protection of the morning school traffic ie kids walking i mean should be a priority,used to live out in the Pennies and the icy roads  first thing where at times tricky to say the least,would be totally against moving from GMT would be a unwise to say the least.

• Like 1

Posted
On 04/08/2016 at 22:31, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Nice to hear from someone with experience of that experiment. Supporters of BST in winter time only consider the lighter evenings - it would be more than offset by the morning darkness in my opinion. 

Will never happen anyway. It's one of those things that gets talked about for a week every year and then everyone just gets on with it.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
On 04/08/2016 at 22:31, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I thought it was great, Pete: I had an extra hour for snow-watching after school.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I thought it was great, Pete: I had an extra hour for snow-watching after school.

Aw but watching the snow under the lamp post is the best!

• Like 1