Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Feels so much more natural to wake to emi darkness and not broad daylight in my opinion,least then you can witness the best part of the day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Certainly noticing nights drawing in now, dark by 9 tonight.  Give it a couple more weeks and will be dark by 8.30! Roll on the darker evenings and fresher mornings!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I dont enjoy driving in the really dark nights but enjoy it when its dark by 7/8pm. Also think it getting light at 630 is reasonable. Plus it helps keep the kids in bed haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I arrived in Iceland last night. Could make out the landscape well after midnight last night even with thick cloud cover.

The amazing thing was that when I left Heathrow at around 10pm, the Sun had set. Travelling north-west to Iceland, and combined with altitude, I watched the Sun rise again about 90 minutes later. On our descent it quickly set again. Really cool stuff.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
On 25/07/2016 at 09:23, snowgirl30 said:

I dont enjoy driving in the really dark nights but enjoy it when its dark by 7/8pm. Also think it getting light at 630 is reasonable. Plus it helps keep the kids in bed haha

Yes it's no fun when you have to be in bed at 9 but the neighbours kids are still outside screaming!

Posted

Starting to loose the light rapidly now,much better in the mornings without that sunshine/light streaming in at some stupid time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

8.20 and quite dark this evening, although it is overcast.  Certainly better for my younger children going to bed with the evenings darker!!! Autumn definitely on the way, the sooner the better!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It is certainly dark tonight !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yep bit by bit it gets better each morning - it's *slowly* approaching the time of year when it doesn't get light at a ridiculous time - so unless you are on a night shift or an extreme night owl it's a waste as the majority of people are still in bed at 3:30am when the birds start chirping in June! At the moment it still gets light too early for my liking but in about 4 weeks I begin to enjoy the later sunrises. Not very long to wait now. Then my attention comes to Winter and the ever suffering missus will have to endure me peeping out the window every 5 mins to see how much snow has fallen when we get it. :clap:

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yep bit by bit it gets better each morning - it's *slowly* approaching the time of year when it doesn't get light at a ridiculous time - so unless you are on a night shift or an extreme night owl it's a waste as the majority of people are still in bed at 3:30am when the birds start chirping in June! At the moment it still gets light too early for my liking but in about 4 weeks I begin to enjoy the later sunrises. Not very long to wait now. Then my attention comes to Winter and the ever suffering missus will have to endure me peeping out the window every 5 mins to see how much snow has fallen when we get it. :clap:

My favourite day in the descent into winter is when the clocks go back, you get that first wintry feeling as it gets dark late afternoon.

• Like 7

Posted

It is so much more pleasant waking to darkness and having the day wakeup with you,just seems more natural....plus no ruddy birds singing at 4am!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

I love nothing better than walking the dog in winter getting in bath and pjs on with heating on full blast and hearing the rain on the window bliss haha

• Like 3

Posted

Anybody who has problems getting out of bed in the mornings better not try it on a dark morning in a caravan with the rain beating down on the roof,trust me you won't move,the most glorious sound on a dark morning when you don't have to get up for work!

• Like 2

Posted

5 past 11 here and just about completely dark. Not seen that in a good while

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I guess it could be worse for us who hate light mornings - like living in Longyearbyen. Just mind boggling differences in times once the sun finally starts to set in late August. Look how quickly the day length shortens at the end of the month through September. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen?month=8&year=2016

Posted

Really noticing the evenings getting darker around 9ish now.

Posted

Although there's a little bit of sun at half 5 in the morning it's to the point now where it's just starting to rise so the change to the darker mornings definety now noticeable too

• Like 1

Posted

I agree NUT, getting up just before 6 am for work, I'm noticing the sun is just rising. I am needing to use my lights on my bike now but only in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 7/29/2016 at 10:20, markyo said:

It is so much more pleasant waking to darkness and having the day wakeup with you,just seems more natural....plus no ruddy birds singing at 4am!!!

A lot nicer when there's already the light of dawn outside. No inclination to get up at all when it's dark. Much nicer when it's already been light for half an hour or so and the sun is coming up.

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, MP-R said:

A lot nicer when there's already the light of dawn outside. No inclination to get up at all when it's dark. Much nicer when it's already been light for half an hour or so and the sun is coming up.

Totally disagree i'm afraid,suppose its just personal choice. I hate waking to broad daylight,for me not natural.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Things are 'slowly' starting to get better (understanding some will disagree) It was about dark here by 9.30 last night under heavy cloud and tonight looks to be similar. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Noticeable tonight.

Posted
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Totally disagree i'm afraid,suppose its just personal choice. I hate waking to broad daylight,for me not natural.

This is where we disagree. I don't like blazing sunshine at 5am, but equally I don't like darkness lingering until nearly 8am in December. For me that would be the biggest drawback of permanently putting clocks forward the extra hour, in December on gloomy days it wouldn't be light until about 9!

Meanwhile, heading home from work at 5.20am this morning it was very noticeable how much darker the mornings are, helped by the low cloud.