Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep the end of darkening evenings is pretty much here. :) 

A lot of evenings since the start of this month have been rather bright too so it hasnt been too bad. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Today, it was clear for the first time in I don't know how long at sunset, and the blue sky was present until around 17:10, probably a little later too, I went inside haha!

But I am the absolute biggest fan of long days and short nights. And it's from this point onward that the long road to summer begins, meaning it's uphill from now. The weather can't exactly get any milder now, can it? So not only are the days gonna start getting longer again, but it's also more likely than not gonna get colder at some point in the  near future too. We have a stall in sunsets now until the 19th December, that's when we start gaining light in the evening. But yep, the earliest sunset has gone. We now gain seconds in the evening, but we're still losing light in the mornings. This actually happens until next year, not like it affects me anyway, I'm rarely up that early, haha!

But anyway, roll on summer! :D

• Like 3

Posted

I only really start to notice the lengthing daylight by the end of jan , early feb, until then a month and a half of dark gloom ensues, even when the sun is out its too low to make it really bright

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Backtrack said:

Today, it was clear for the first time in I don't know how long at sunset, and the blue sky was present until around 17:10, probably a little later too, I went inside haha!

But I am the absolute biggest fan of long days and short nights. And it's from this point onward that the long road to summer begins, meaning it's uphill from now. The weather can't exactly get any milder now, can it? So not only are the days gonna start getting longer again, but it's also more likely than not gonna get colder at some point in the  near future too. We have a stall in sunsets now until the 19th December, that's when we start gaining light in the evening. But yep, the earliest sunset has gone. We now gain seconds in the evening, but we're still losing light in the mornings. This actually happens until next year, not like it affects me anyway, I'm rarely up that early, haha!

Now come on Jordan, sunset is about 4pm, I highly doubt the sky was anything but black at 17.10 lol!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Roll on summer indeed. I've already had enough of winter...

3 hours ago, Backtrack said:

You guys will be dead in about 60 years so there's something to look forward to.. well, you are wishing your life away aren't you? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes it's sad to see folks wishing half of their lives away! Even though I don't like summer or the very long days, I still manage to enjoy myself...

Meanwhile, I shall make the most of getting home from a night shift and it still being pitch black :)

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Now come on Jordan, sunset is about 4pm, I highly doubt the sky was anything but black at 17.10 lol!

I assure you my friend, absolute twilight blue at 17:10 last night! I live on the western coast (pretty much) remember, so I get the pleasure of enjoying every last second of that sun until it dips below the horizon.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yes it's sad to see folks wishing half of their lives away! Even though I don't like summer or the very long days, I still manage to enjoy myself...

Meanwhile, I shall make the most of getting home from a night shift and it still being pitch black :)

Nick. There's a difference between wishing my life away, and looking forward to something.

That's like saying 'I go on holiday next week. But I hope it goes painfully slow, because I'm only gonna live until I'm 85'

I'm sure if you shared the same opinion as me, you wouldn't be posting remarks..

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I believe today is more or less the evening with the earliest sunset. That is the turning point for me, as I find the dark evenings much more of a hindrance than the mornings.

We begin our trek back towards the happy times again! They may still be very distant, but each day will bring a slight improvement! :D

Thursday for me 15:40 then its 15:41 from Friday till Sunday then only a minute or so each day till early Jan then we go on an alternating pattern of 1 minute one afternoon and 2 minutes till just after mid Jan

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
12 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I believe today is more or less the evening with the earliest sunset. That is the turning point for me, as I find the dark evenings much more of a hindrance than the mornings.

We begin our trek back towards the happy times again! They may still be very distant, but each day will bring a slight improvement! :D

That's the only downside about Winter personally is, despite my love of snowy weather, the shorter daylight hours is something I'm not keen on. So is great to see that the days will be starting to draw out again. 

One (personal) issue with the shorter days is getting up early in the morning when it's dark outside is quite depressing, especially when you've got somewhere you need to go to and you just feel like snoozing off back to bed. Just personally doesn't feel quite right whereas getting up when it's light during Spring/Summer feels more natural to me.

Towards Christmas, find myself tolerating it more, mostly due to the way it helps add a Christmassy flavour during December and it can perhaps suit the atmosphere of evening/night entertainment, otherwise the shorter days just get in the way. Also just makes me miss doing lengthy afternoon Spring and Summer walks and knowing you've still got lots of daylight left to undertake your missions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Tomorrow the sun sets 1 min later than today (times rounded to the nearest 1min of course)

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/kingston-upon-hull.html

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I don't mind the long dark nights/mornings it's not an inconvenience at all to me, I prefer it better than the sun rising at stupid o'clock in June & the birds beginning to chirp loudly if you cannot get to sleep properly. I would like to experience an Arctic Winter like in Northern Scandinavia/Russia where the sun doesn't even rise through part of December, it would feel a bit odd I bet but very cosy and wintry with the snow outside.

Edited by Medlock Vale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes we are over the hill now ,clearly lighter tonight ...NOT,fog,as dark as it gets !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Laserguy would cherish every second of the day's shortening so nothing to stop us enjoying the reverse process. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sunset starts getting later again from tomorrow. Whilst I love summer, I also love snowy days. Was hoping I might have seen some before the nights gets shorter again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Laserguy would cherish every second of the day's shortening so nothing to stop us enjoying the reverse process. :)

Where is laserguy anyway? I thought as the days grow shorter laserguy grows stronger :rofl: when I was a lurker I used to chuckle at his rants.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Medlock Vale said:

I don't mind the long dark nights/mornings it's not an inconvenience at all to me, I prefer it better than the sun rising at stupid o'clock in June & the birds beginning to chirp loudly if you cannot get to sleep properly. I would like to experience an Arctic Winter like in Northern Scandinavia/Russia where the sun doesn't even rise through part of December, it would feel a bit odd I bet but very cosy and wintry with the snow outside.

That does sound cool.

Imagine if the sun didn't rise throughout December here in the UK:/ A month of wind and rain but in darkness:(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:22 PM, Thunderbolt_ said:

Oh roll on those happy times,that early morning sun waking you up from a night of little sleep in the heat,the joy of hearing those birds at 4am,the pure anticipation of the first sneeze of the day followed by a day of eye watering,eye rubbing enjoyment of hay fever,the smell of the traffic fumes through the open windows. Can't wait,such a lovely time of year......Not

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Oh roll on those happy times,that early morning sun waking you up from a night of little sleep in the heat,the joy of hearing those birds at 4am,the pure anticipation of the first sneeze of the day followed by a day of eye watering,eye rubbing enjoyment of hay fever,the smell of the traffic fumes through the open windows. Can't wait,such a lovely time of year......Not

haha you say that, but i actually love getting up in broad daylight. I feel like in the summer I can survive pretty well on a few hours sleep, whereas in Winter I can have 8 hours and still feel like i've been hit by a steamroller when i get up in the dark.

Hayfever is crap though, but as long as you have some antihistimenes with you then you'll be fine and can enjoy the beautiful smell of freshly mown lawn grass:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 minutes ago, Azazel said:

haha you say that, but i actually love getting up in broad daylight. I feel like in the summer I can survive pretty well on a few hours sleep, whereas in Winter I can have 8 hours and still feel like i've been hit by a steamroller when i get up in the dark.

Hayfever is crap though, but as long as you have some antihistimenes with you then you'll be fine and can enjoy the beautiful smell of freshly mown lawn grass:)

East facing bedrooms are a pain,waking up at just after 4am with the sun streaming in is not on!! Much,much prefere the comfort of a dark morning,sleep a lot better in the winter months,feel washed out in the summer,total opposite of yourself!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
One thing that's proved rare during these shortest days of the year is getting to 4pm without it being totally dark today is a rare exception where we've had sunshine from dawn till dusk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Indeed it was sunny right until sunset here too. In 2 weeks time we will have already gained 13 mins of light in the evening so it doesnt take long for the upwards slope to gather pace.

• Like 2