Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

The feel of things at this time of year in terms of light levels is highly dependent on the nature of the weather. A cloudy overcast day can make a day feel a good couple of hours shorter in terms of daylight than a bright sunshine filled day. It is more noticeable in the evening, by this stage in the year a wet afternoon produces very low light levels by 3.30-4pm and we see an early natural dusk, yet a clear sky in mid afternoon often means moderate light levels lasting until around 4.30 even close to 5pm.

The dark days before Christmas are associated with overcast skies and a descent into darkness around 3.30pm, in Scotland more like 3pm, you really have to make the most of the morning at this time of year..

Whilst the evening slowly draw out from mid Dec, conversely the mornings only very slowly start to draw out from early Jan and they are painfully slow, making for in the main darker mornings in Jan than Dec.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just 12 minutes to go in the evening,we are almost there !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

About 45 mins of daylight left to lose here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

About 45 mins of daylight left to lose here.

Yes but only 14 mins in the evening !

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
9 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It's quite amazing how fast the winter solstice is approaching. I think the very mild weather recently has helped late October and November to pass by quite quickly. Now we're at that point where we have Christmas to distract us from the darkest depths of winter too.

Not long now until we begin the journey back to those beautiful warm and sunny evenings. This will eventually be the view from my deck again:

On the contrary, the mild and exceptionally dull conditions that have come with it has made it drag more than ever for most this year I imagine. There has been hardly any sunshine so it has felt dark for ages and we aren't even at the Solstice yet!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Lol, I expected that.  I can see why it has dragged for some people, but mild weather helps the autumn/winter to pass by quickly for me. It's cold that makes it drag, personally.

Agreed I've found the past few Autumns and winters have gone by quite quickly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It's quite amazing how fast the winter solstice is approaching. I think the very mild weather recently has helped late October and November to pass by quite quickly. Now we're at that point where we have Christmas to distract us from the darkest depths of winter too.

Not long now until we begin the journey back to those beautiful warm and sunny evenings. This will eventually be the view from my deck again:

20150808_093345.thumb.jpg.2fe38d44685951

Dreading those hot humid nights,defeats me why anybody enjoys it! At least now one can get a good nights sleep!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Dreading those hot humid nights,defeats me why anybody enjoys it! At least now one can get a good nights sleep!!

Because we have so many hit and humid nights in this country....

Just a week and a but until the evenings start drawing out again! The good times will soon be round. But yes, Christmas is a good distraction now for the next few weeks from that. I do enjoy very much all the houses lit up at this time of year. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some of us are still able to enjoy ourselves, regardless of how much sunlight there is.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Because we have so many hit and humid nights in this country....

Just a week and a but until the evenings start drawing out again! The good times will soon be round. But yes, Christmas is a good distraction now for the next few weeks from that. I do enjoy very much all the houses lit up at this time of year. :)

One humid night is one to many in my opinion! Loving the cooler weather on the horizon,long may it last for!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

So the Sun/Earth continues to do what they haved in sequence for millions of years.. Who'd of thought it :pardon:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Only 3 more minutes of light to lose here in the evening then its back on the upwards slope back to warmer lighter evenings.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Some of us are still able to enjoy ourselves, regardless of how much sunlight there is.

No kidding. The shorter days can be a minor inconvenience but unless your entire life revolves around late-evening outdoor activities it isn't the end of the world. It's just 2-3 months of the year - it'll pass in no time. I mean, it's nearly 2016 already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 hours ago, cheese said:

No kidding. The shorter days can be a minor inconvenience but unless your entire life revolves around late-evening outdoor activities it isn't the end of the world. It's just 2-3 months of the year - it'll pass in no time. I mean, it's nearly 2016 already!

Indeed. Life is short. Make the most of it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
16 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Only 3 more minutes of light to lose here in the evening then its back on the upwards slope back to warmer lighter evenings.

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the cold grows stronger"!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
13 hours ago, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the cold grows stronger"!

Conversely as the days get shorter the weather gets hotter! Oh the beauties of lag. Lol. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I, for one, cannot wait for the days to start lengthening; the last few weeks have been so dull that my SAD is really starting to take hold, now...Only a few more days!:D

• Like 4

Posted

Almost 4pm and its not totally dark makes a change of late given all the cloud we've had Wednesday marks the earlies the sun sets here (15:41) after that its just the sunrise which continues to get later

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I, for one, cannot wait for the days to start lengthening; the last few weeks have been so dull that my SAD is really starting to take hold, now...Only a few more days!:D

It would have made zilch difference it has predominately been constantly overcast 24 hours of the day IMBY for at least the last 4 weeks due to this mild tosh. November was probably the most overcast month I can ever recall we had some sunshine on Friday and that was an anomaly. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
On 6 December 2015 at 10:42 AM, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

Well given that both January and February are on average colder than December, that upward slope to warmer evenings has a couple of months yet. As the saying goes, "As the days grow longer, the euro trash high grows stronger"!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well both monday and tues gave me an hour sat in the sun !!???

Had to take my Shirt off on Monday!!!

Two weeks to Solstice and I'm sunbathing!!!

My facebook page was bust reminding me of the amount of snow we had down 5 years ago at this point...... I'll take sunbathing thanks....... and note that, 5 years ago, Hameron made it plain we could clean our paths without fear of being sued........ guess he'd just bomb it today?..........

• Like 1

Posted

End of the long dark nights?

Did you know that evenings actually start getting lighter around nine or ten days before the solstice? BBC Weather's Nick Miller explains.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/35073017

• Like 2

Posted

Going by bbc sunrises it starts getting lighter in the evenings on the 19th here

Cant wait, end of the diminishing light is all but over

roll on spring. Snowdrops out soon, then the Daffs

winter will be over before we know it, at this rate spring starts in January :):):) 

• Like 2