Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I bet you are one to leave your curtains shut all day. Lol.

Is the sun and light really that bad to you? It all sounds very antisocial just wanting it dark all the time. Get outside, enjoy the outside activities. :)

No offence Costa but you need to stop pestering people about being antisocial. It's very rude.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No offence Costa but you need to stop pestering people about being antisocial. It's very rude.

I don't mean to say the above persons were so. Apologies if it came across as so. It's just a link I have made through wider experience. I know a few people who hate the warm sunshine and stay indoors a lot Of the time. Again. Apologies if it came across the wrong way, certainly not meant to be personal.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No, actually my blinds are up all day and I love going outside when it is dark, or when the cloudcover is so thick that it feels like the Sun hasn't actually risen properly. I love playing football in the depths of Winter, when it is dark, wet, and freezing, or going for a walk when the wind is blowing in your face under a thick sheet of fast-moving clouds. So I think I do get outside enough. There is nothing antisocial going on here :)

Light isn't bad for me at all. I enjoy the extremes (I like the days around the Summer solstice), but I enjoy the darker days far more. I think you just assume that everyone who likes the dark is a recluse who can't stand going outside.

Good for you then :) ! As long as you can get out and enjoy it, good I say. I'm glad because I just know a few people who are curtain shutters hate sun types and sadly they do seem more reluctant to get involved with some things (such as hard to get them out to play a game of footy on a pleasant summers day) so sorry if my post came across the wrong way, reading back after what was a very lomg hard day at work for me yesterday, I can see it wasn't very well worded and its intended humour at the beginning. We all have different experiences so I have probably been influenced just by what I have seen. :)

Fundamentally i just like to see people make the most of each day. Importantly, it sounds like you do so therefore I'm happy. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The long summer days of late june would not be the same without the short days of December/January !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Agree Hilly, I personaly love them.

Posted

I think this sort of thing is why us Brits love the weather so much. We can just about get anything but the exciting stuff in mainly small doses. However it keeps the appetite going for more without usually becoming more bored of something. The unpredictability ironically Keeps us interested in my opinion. If we knew what was coming for definite I doubt we would be any where near bothered. With daylight hours we get fairly good extremes. I do like the darker evenings before Christmas as it does add to the festive feel. It conversely makes the longer evenings even better. Vice versa for others too. :)

Posted

My brother and sister live in Australia.My brother says what he misses the most is the seasons and when my sisters Aussie fella came over in late June he was shocked how late it got dark he just wanted to stay outside and lap it up.I guess we should be privileged to have the seasons we do in comparison to lots of other countries although it does vary wildly between the south east and the hills of the pennines[weatherwise that is ]!!

Posted

My brother and sister live in Australia.My brother says what he misses the most is the seasons and when my sisters Aussie fella came over in late June he was shocked how late it got dark he just wanted to stay outside and lap it up.I guess we should be privileged to have the seasons we do in comparison to lots of other countries although it does vary wildly between the south east and the hills of the pennines[weatherwise that is ]!!

Quite. Being mid latitude we do really get a good dose of both sides if perhaps not the most extreme in terms of weather or daylight. Whilst i prefer longer daylight hours and I would like to experience briefly 24 he daylight I.e Iceland, even I would want some darkness for the body clock! Even I find the sun rises slightly too early near the summer solstice. Can be hard to get back to sleep in if the sun is shining brightly onto the bed room.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yeah.. I've always liked the short winter days and long summer days.. it's a nice contrast. I'd hate to live in a place where daylight is equal all year or barely changes at all. Would also hate to live in Australia, climate wise, where the is less seasonal variation. Too sunny and warm as well. You appreciate any warmth a lot more when you are deprived of it for a certain amount of time.. I'd get real bored of Sydney's climate.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I'd hate to live in a country with little variation to the weather. I love the British seasons (though I wish the Winters were colder!). Although coming home from work in the dark can be a bit depressing, it makes you appreciate the longer Summer evenings more :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

The long summer days of late june would not be the same without the short days of December/January !

The min tomorrow (high +ve fig) in some parts is expected to break records, could it beat some mins from June ?

So tea shirt weather as you go to car, but its just dark cira 7am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

After the initial shock a couple of weeks ago i have acclimatised to the dark evenings. Still devoid of much to do but im coping better than i did on that Sunday immediately after the clock change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Yeah.. I've always liked the short winter days and long summer days.. it's a nice contrast. I'd hate to live in a place where daylight is equal all year or barely changes at all. Would also hate to live in Australia, climate wise, where the is less seasonal variation. Too sunny and warm as well. You appreciate any warmth a lot more when you are deprived of it for a certain amount of time.. I'd get real bored of Sydney's climate.

:cc_confused:   Australia has seasonal variation, certainly in the SW of the country, they get some really wet months and some colder ones too.

Posted

The min tomorrow (high +ve fig) in some parts is expected to break records, could it beat some mins from June ?

So tea shirt weather as you go to car, but its just dark cira 7am

I am actually clocking 14 deg at 10pm,there were plenty days here in all summer months that did not reach that figure as a maximum !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

And tonight is the final downturn to the shortest day. It's the Christmas light switch on in Plymouth and start to late night shopping in the city.

Now it feels like late autumn!

Posted

The past week has been woefully dark here thanks to the endless gloom and grey skies, it feels more like the dark days before Christmas, yet we have a full 5 weeks or so to go yet before we reach the low point, could do with some brightness to add some cheer..

The past week has been woefully dark here thanks to the endless gloom and grey skies, it feels more like the dark days before Christmas, yet we have a full 5 weeks or so to go yet before we reach the low point, could do with some brightness to add some cheer..

after today's earlier brightness it really closed in early tonight !..

Posted

Was actually amazed this morning driving down the A1 before Cambridge and I could see some brightness on the east horizon just after 6 am even though the sunrise is 07.12 !

Edited by hillbilly

Posted

Less than 4 weeks now for evenings to start getting lighter!

• Like 3

Posted

13 December is the turning point for me. That's when the evenings start to get lighter here.

this table seems to suggest 19 December?

http://www.ukweathercams.co.uk/sunrise_sunset_times_by_month.php?id=13116&ts=1450460504

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am looking forward to seeing what really short days are like when I travel to Levi Finland on third of January I believe it says there is roughly 30 mins of daylight before night descends however I don't think the sun rises above the horizon and you get a very long twilight zone?

Posted

I know it is pretty meaningless John but there are 11 days at 15.49 sunset the 13th is the midpoint but since they havnt included 'seconds' the sunsets will actually extend from the 13th all be it seconds .It does vary by a day or two depending which website you are on !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The turnaround in sunset times comes as an early Christmas present for me and I watch the local weather around mid Dec for when the sunset is a min later than the previous day. Then I know things are on the way back up.