Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The vast majority would be home from school then, which is the point. 

He was on his way home, from school, at the time. So, no, it isn't the point at all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

They should change the clocks as they do in Canada..1st Sunday in November they go back and 1st Sunday in March they go forward works well.

Sounds good to me as the thing I hate most about the current set-up is I think we wait too long to change back to BST.

For example, at my northerly latitude....

Oct 25 2015 (Switch to GMT) Sunrise 7:05 Sunset 16:41

Dec 21st 2015 (Shortest Day) Sunrise 8:48 Sunset 15:27

Mar 27th 2016 (Switch back to BST) Sunrise 6:49 Sunset 19:40

However if we were to switch as per the Canadian system it would give...

Nov 1st 2015 Sunrise 7:21 Sunset 16:45

Mar 6th 2016 Sunrise 7:46 Sunset 18:54

i.e. we'd get 4 more weeks of lighter evenings whilst the mornings would still be light enough for there to be no 'school run' etc issues.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

It's not just about accidents (and a 3 year sample from 45 years ago doesn't really convince me). I don't know if you are a parent, but most responsible adults don't want their kids wandering around outside in the dark.

I am sure there would be less deaths on the roads with lighter evenings compared to the mornings when your fairly fresh and focused.

Surely little johnny could have more active evenings playing sport in the extra light of an evening instead of playing on the xbox and being told they cant go out in case of the boogeymen?

I used to play in evenings outside summer or winter, we used to run by the clock not the light levels as such playing football under the street lights if we had to.

It was also always dark before i returned home from school as it is for many that don't live locally to schools.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Shame school hours cannot be changed in Winter, start 9.30,am and finish 2.45pm then in late Spring/summer start them 8.45 and finish at 4 to make up any difference.

I guess the issue is parents working hours, sadly that doesn't seem to be an issue round here lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Do people want their kids walking or riding to school in the dark, just so you can get a worthless extra hour of light in the evening?

Kids would not be walking to school in the dark,maybe a handful of days some may set off in the dark but it would be light enough before they got to school especially for you in the south east they would also be able to play out at night where they cannot now !

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

They should change the clocks as they do in Canada..1st Sunday in November they go back and 1st Sunday in March they go forward works well.

you are arguing the toss over a week before and two/three after, really worth a shift change?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The darkness never bothers me - I find it quite cosy.

Anyway, we have had these wonderful things called light bulbs for the past 100 years. I know some people suffer from SAD which is a shame but in the modern world in which we live a bit of darkness for a few months of the year is hardly the worst thing in the world. If we were a tribe of hunter gatherers then I would be miffed - but we ain't.

• Like 2

Posted

Back to that age old question that I've never been able to find a convincing answer to - why in Europe (including the UK) do we insist on waiting until the end of March to put our clocks forward when we're happy not putting them back before the end of October when it's darker in the mornings?  Does anyone understand the logic?

• Like 1

Posted

Back to that age old question that I've never been able to find a convincing answer to - why in Europe (including the UK) do we insist on waiting until the end of March to put our clocks forward when we're happy not putting them back before the end of October when it's darker in the mornings?  Does anyone understand the logic?

Am sure there is a reason but it is strange that the solstice is only 7 weeks after the clocks go back which gives the same amount of time into the new year as February 10th but NO we have to wait a further 7 weeks before the eventual change.Looks like they have a better system in Canada,by changing at the end of February would certainly make more sence .

Am sure there is a reason but it is strange that the solstice is only 7 weeks after the clocks go back which gives the same amount of time into the new year as February 10th but NO we have to wait a further 7 weeks before the eventual change.Looks like they have a better system in Canada,by changing at the end of February would certainly make more sence .

couldn't agree more ,will it happen ,no :(...

Posted

Just been reading up on the history,even the romans changed their clocks [sundial or whatever they used] but the Germans actually beat us to it at the end of April 1916 to save daylight during ww1 a full 3 weeks before we rushed it through even thoug a British man had tried to have it changed for 10 years.Come next spring it is actually the 100 year celebration so there may be scope for it to be brought into general discussion you never know something may be changed.Believe it or not during ww2 they had bst + 1 in winter and bst+2 during summer !!

Posted

Just been reading up on the history,even the romans changed their clocks [sundial or whatever they used] but the Germans actually beat us to it at the end of April 1916 to save daylight during ww1 a full 3 weeks before we rushed it through even thoug a British man had tried to have it changed for 10 years.Come next spring it is actually the 100 year celebration so there may be scope for it to be brought into general discussion you never know something may be changed.Believe it or not during ww2 they had bst + 1 in winter and bst+2 during summer !!

That sounds like a nightmare. It would be dark until half 10 here around new year if we used BST+1 and light until nearly midnight around the summer solstice. It would be ridiculous.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

That sounds like a nightmare. It would be dark until half 10 here around new year if we used BST+1 and light until nearly midnight around the summer solstice. It would be ridiculous.

That would ruin the sleeping patterns of many during summer especially. Barmy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That would ruin the sleeping patterns of many during summer especially. Barmy.

Even sunsets of around 10:30pm would be useless as far as I'm concerned - very annoying when you're trying to sleep. This is particularly acute as a child.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Do they moan this much in Iceland?

Posted

Do they moan this much in Iceland?

Doubt it, they just suck it up and get on with it when it gets dark!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Doubt it, they just suck it up and get on with it when it gets dark!

Indeed. At the end of the day, it's impossible to cater for everyone here. Really, we just have to grin and bear the negatives for a few months. It could be worse like those in more further polar orientated countries.

Posted

Changing back at the end of Sept would make more sense IMO.   Changing back at then end of Oct brings no benefits (its still dark in the morning ...) and suddenly introduces sunset during the evening commute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Changing back at the end of Sept would make more sense IMO.   Changing back at then end of Oct brings no benefits (its still dark in the morning ...) and suddenly introduces sunset during the evening commute.

Hi , Just leave it with Gmt  ,there is no point messing around with Clocks the Seasonal light stays the same..... :)  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted

Hi , Just leave it with Gmt  ,there is no point messing around with Clocks the Seasonal light stays the same..... :)  :rofl:  :rofl:

It would get light ridiculously early in mid summer though. Thing is we just can't win really.

Posted

There will be winners and losers whatever it is.

See you all next year for the annual argument :D

Edited by Nick L